Recruiting Thread

You know, it's called a verbal commitment for a reason. Eric Gordon wanted to check out his home states University, which has a LOT of history and a great basketball tradition. When he was being recruited, Mike Davis was pretty much as good as gone. New regime, new found interest.

BUT, if Sampson or his staff was found to be recruiting a player that was verbally committed to another school, the Big Ten coaches will let you know it...not by words, but by actions.

As someone said before, he is coming to Illinois until he SAYS he's not.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
For what and how many years?

KU lost one scholarship for next year which they can defer to the 08-09 season..Nothing huge, big time talents still coming. Thanks, Roy you f***in jackass

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
KU lost one scholarship for next year which they can defer to the 08-09 season..Nothing huge, big time talents still coming. Thanks, Roy you f***in jackass

You should be feeling lucky your a big name school. Smaller name ones have gotten 1 to 3 year postseason bans for offenses less serious.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 03:46 AM)
You should be feeling lucky your a big name school. Smaller name ones have gotten 1 to 3 year postseason bans for offenses less serious.

" Today the NCAA found many serious offenses committed by the University of Kentucky basketball program. As a result, Cleveland State will get the death penalty."

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
Eric Gordon will be attending Hoosier Hysteria tonight.

Hmm, that would insinuate he's going to IU obviously. Or in other words, he's been lying to everybody at Illinois for 3 months now. I feel bad for the kid if that's the case, but hey, that's his problem to deal with in the future.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Hmm, that would insinuate he's going to IU obviously. Or in other words, he's been lying to everybody at Illinois for 3 months now. I feel bad for the kid if that's the case, but hey, that's his problem to deal with in the future.

Oh man...the Crush is gonna have a field day with this one...that is, if IU comes to Champaign this year.

I hope the NCAA digs into this...personally, I think they should investigate every situation where a kid verbally commits to one school and ends up signing for another...but of course, they won't.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
Dear IU,

Enjoy Eric Gordon for the year he'll be there. Jerks.

Love,

CanOfCorn

Gordon spurns Illini for Indiana

By Brian Hamilton

Tribune staff reporter

Published October 13, 2006, 10:02 AM CDT

Eric Gordon is headed to Indiana -- and this time it's his final decision.

Gordon's father confirmed to the Tribune on Friday morning that his son told Illinois coach Bruce Weber late Thursday night that he would not be following through on a commitment he made last November to play for the Illini.

Instead Gordon, the No. 2 recruit nationally according to Rivals.com, will attend Midnight Madness festivities at Indiana tonight and intends to sign with the Hoosiers when the early signing period begins Nov. 8.

"Late last night E.J. did get a chance to talk to both coaches, and he did talk to coach Weber," the elder Gordon told the Tribune on Friday morning. "Coach Weber called him back and (Eric) did tell him he was not going to be going to University of Illinois.

"It was really like splitting hairs, ultimately. This just happened to be the best thing for EJ."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
EJ ending up where he belongs is just how it needs to be.

Had KS been with us to begin with, he would have never even committed to Illinois.

This is so BIG.

Huge for Indiana. This really hurts Weber and the program. To the Gordon family, you handled this terribly and you are a bunch of liars with no character. I was going to be pissed if he decommitted but I would have understood. But you don't continuously tell the coaching staff at UI you are committed. You don't consistently tell the other recruits going there you are committed. You don't tell the fans you don't feel any differently about Illinois. That is bulls***. And don't tell me that he is a 17 year old kid. They know exactly what they are doing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
Huge for Indiana. This really hurts Weber and the program. To the Gordon family, you handled this terribly and you are a bunch of liars with no character. I was going to be pissed if he decommitted but I would have understood. But you don't continuously tell the coaching staff at UI you are committed. You don't consistently tell the other recruits going there you are committed. You don't tell the fans you don't feel any differently about Illinois. That is bulls***. And don't tell me that he is a 17 year old kid. They know exactly what they are doing.

Since you believe he was not really torn and was just leading illinois along, why did he do it?

I'm curious about the anti-illini consipiracy...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Since you believe he was not really torn and was just leading illinois along, why did he do it?

Where did I say he wasn't really torn? I'm saying that if he was torn which he clearly was, you don't tell Weber you are still going to be an Illini. He told McCamey this week that he was still going to Illinois. It is complete bulls***.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)

Weber is notorious for being an ahole in the college circle. Also, other teams programs can walk all over him.

the most important thing, who the hell want to hear that squeaky voice for years. :drink

How can a KU fan talk s*** about Weber?

Weber took his team to the championship game...

Self continues to stroke his own ego and say how great his recruits are.

But what is ironic, is that Bill Self's KU and Illini teams that went to the Elite 8, both were his first year of coaching. That would mean they were not his recruits.

I personally believe that Weber is better coach, and Self is the better recruiter. If I had to take my pick, I would go with the coach, because recruiting is to fickle.

As to Gordon, I doubt there was any foul play. Just my guess is Indiana offered making him a state legend, where as in Illinois 50% or more of the people could care less about Illini basketball. Its not Weber's fault, Illinois just is not a great place to recruit to. It really does not have anything unique to offer.

Gordon is from Indiana, it would be like a John Clay (RB recruit from the state of Wisconsin) chosing Illinois over Wisconsin. It really just did not make much sense, but from an Illinois standpoint you had to hold onto the dream.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
How can a KU fan talk s*** about Weber?

Weber took his team to the championship game...

Self continues to stroke his own ego and say how great his recruits are.

But what is ironic, is that Bill Self's KU and Illini teams that went to the Elite 8, both were his first year of coaching. That would mean they were not his recruits.

I personally believe that Weber is better coach, and Self is the better recruiter. If I had to take my pick, I would go with the coach, because recruiting is to fickle.

As to Gordon, I doubt there was any foul play. Just my guess is Indiana offered making him a state legend, where as in Illinois 50% or more of the people could care less about Illini basketball. Its not Weber's fault, Illinois just is not a great place to recruit to. It really does not have anything unique to offer.

Gordon is from Indiana, it would be like a John Clay (RB recruit from the state of Wisconsin) chosing Illinois over Wisconsin. It really just did not make much sense, but from an Illinois standpoint you had to hold onto the dream.

This argument is like 2 years old....no reason to bring it up again.