Konerko warms to 'C'

southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
Idonno in my opinion the only guy that wears the C and actually deserves it is Sweeney.... 1.  Because he is a leader and a great guy in general 2. Because he is playing with a bunch of kids and bad talent in general that they need someone like him to go to for help and other stuff.

i have tremendous respect for a guy like who has stayed so loyal to an organization that is crumbling. most guys would have left

I just read on whitesox.com that paul konerko has accepted the captainship of the '06 white sox, despite having serious concerns about the effect it oculd have on the team. Personally i beleive he deserves the 'c', he is the spiritual and physical leader of our team. our one and only super star. he is a humble super star at that! so as for konerko being the captain? i say, the team loves him any ways, so why not award him for taking less money to play for the white sox!

My high school hockey team voted on who would wear the 'C' and both 'A's at the beginning of the season, as do most teams in that sport.

While I can understand Ozzie's excited Paulie is back for all the reasons we're excited he's back, I think it is best left to the players to decide who is their elected voice. Granted, they'd probably end up giving the 'C' to Buehrle or Paulie, but it's the decision of the players who represents them as the captain.

There are game situations in hockey that dictate Captains and Alternates' intercession with referees on the team's behalf. As we will see a week from today, in football it takes a delegation representing about 20% of each team to decide on heads or tails. But in baseball, there are no game situations in baseball that really call for a captain.

But do baseball teams need captains? I'd venture to say they don't need any formalized institution of calling someone a captain. Every team has leaders, and these rise to the top. The players know who their leaders are, and everything else is window dressing.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
My high school hockey team voted on who would wear the 'C' and both 'A's at the beginning of the season, as do most teams in that sport.

While I can understand Ozzie's excited Paulie is back for all the reasons we're excited he's back, I think it is best left to the players to decide who is their elected voice. Granted, they'd probably end up giving the 'C' to Buehrle or Paulie, but it's the decision of the players who represents them as the captain.

There are game situations in hockey that dictate Captains and Alternates' intercession with referees on the team's behalf. As we will see a week from today, in football it takes a delegation representing about 20% of each team to decide on heads or tails. But in baseball, there are no game situations in baseball that really call for a captain.

But do baseball teams need captains? I'd venture to say they don't need any formalized institution of calling someone a captain. Every team has leaders, and these rise to the top. The players know who their leaders are, and everything else is window dressing.

But in pro hockey the captains and alternates are decided by the coach, so Ozzie's making the decision falls in line with that.

I think in baseball the captaincy is purely symbolic. I have no problem with Paul wearing the C, although like most others on the board I also feel it's unnecessary. The 2005 White Sox were a team in every sense of the word, no heroes yet ALL heroes.

There was intervention by Ozzie, Kenny, JR, and his teammates at Soxfest, clearly, which caused Paulie to have a change of heart. This won't be a distraction at all, but rather a point of showing who the biggest TEAM player is on a roster with 25 of them.

Congrats Paulie, you are THE FRANCHISE now.