Good news for Gload fans

SSH2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=159338

Back in business: Last season was great for the White Sox but frustrating for Ross Gload.

After batting .321 in 110 games for the Sox in 2004, the first baseman/outfielder was limited to just 28 games as he battled chronic inflammation in his left shoulder.

Gload reported to camp Wednesday and is already in a much better situation.

“Gload is on the team right now,’’ said manager Ozzie Guillen. “I think he has a great shot. Hopefully, he can play some outfield this year.’’

If the Sox decide to go with a 12-man pitching staff, Gload and Joe Borchard figure to battle for the lone reserve outfield job.

Sounds like Ozzie favors Gload for a roster spot.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counting pitchers real quick...Bmac, Hermanson, Jenks, Cotts, Politte..that makes 10 guys counting the big 5. So even if we carried 2 lefties...we'd only have 11 pitchers. So it's possible both Gload and Borchard could make the team, thanks to the luxury of the long man in BMac, if none of the righties stand out much in ST.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
Counting pitchers real quick...Bmac, Hermanson, Jenks, Cotts, Politte..that makes 10 guys counting the big 5.  So even if we carried 2 lefties...we'd only have 11 pitchers.  So it's possible both Gload and Borchard could make the team, thanks to the luxury of the long man in BMac, if none of the righties stand out much in ST.

I think they will-to balance the bench 2 right handers-Osuna Widger, 2 lefties Gload & Borchard

and it doesn't really matter what side of the plate Widger hits from. He's the backup catcher he's not really a pinch hitting candidate anyway.

But I thought that he was the Widge and nobody beats him? :huh:

or pretend to.  whatever you want to call it.

:lol:

Edited by SSH2005

Before the Thome acquisition, and when it looked like Thomas may stick around to DH, I was a big supporter of keeping Gload around. Some on this board insisted he'd never make the team, that he was hated in the organization, etc. But he could back up PK, add a lefty bat, play outfield (if necessary), pinch hit, and seemed to have the beginnings of some real hitting talent. He made sense.

But with Thome around, I just don't see why we keep him. Thome hits lefty, plays a very good 1B, and has Thomas' power. So what does Gload provide that we need now? Not much. I'd say we should keep him in AAA as an insurance policy on Thome, or maybe trade him if someone is willing to give up something good for him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
But I thought that he was the Widge and nobody beats him?  :huh:

:lol:

It doesn't make any sense to consistantly pinch hit your backup catcher leaving yourself vulnerable at the catcher position if your starter goes down.

Also, I know you were kidding but I just felt that needed to be said.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
Before the Thome acquisition, and when it looked like Thomas may stick around to DH, I was a big supporter of keeping Gload around.  Some on this board insisted he'd never make the team, that he was hated in the organization, etc.  But he could back up PK, add a lefty bat, play outfield (if necessary), pinch hit, and seemed to have the beginnings of some real hitting talent.  He made sense.

But with Thome around, I just don't see why we keep him.  Thome hits lefty, plays a very good 1B, and has Thomas' power.  So what does Gload provide that we need now?  Not much.  I'd say we should keep him in AAA as an insurance policy on Thome, or maybe trade him if someone is willing to give up something good for him.

Yeah, I don't see his spot on this team. After seeing him in the outfield before, I can pass on that. I'm hoping Borchard comes out of nowhere to kick some ass. We'll see if that happens.

Gload is a good hitter...for a 2B, CF, or SS. He's a mediocre hitter for the positions he "plays". I put that in quotes because Gload is a stone in the field.

I don't want any part of him on the roster. Stuff him in AAA or spin him off for a mid level LHP prospect. I doubt he's even worth that. Guys like Gload are a dime a dozen, and like it was said: the addition of Thome makes him superflous.

Given that Borchard is out of options and can play CF or LF in a pinch, I'd take him over Gload. And unlike Gload, Borchard still has potential, not alot granted, but potential to be a 265/320/480 guy, IMO at least that makes him valuable as a 4/5 outfielder.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
But with Thome around, I just don't see why we keep him.  Thome hits lefty, plays a very good 1B, and has Thomas' power.  So what does Gload provide that we need now?  Not much.  I'd say we should keep him in AAA as an insurance policy on Thome, or maybe trade him if someone is willing to give up something good for him.

Most sense you've made about Gload ever. BUT, I could be mistaken here, but isnt Gload out of options?

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Gload is a good hitter...for a 2B, CF, or SS.  He's a mediocre hitter for the positions he "plays".  I put that in quotes because Gload is a stone in the field.

He's a very, very good 1b. I want Gload on this team, he can flat out hit, he can run, and he plays one hell of a first base.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Most sense you've made about Gload ever.  BUT, I could be mistaken here, but isnt Gload out of options?

:P

I knew you'd pipe up soon on this one. How could I forget my first big argument on this board? Especially with you here to remind me.

Good question. Anyone know if he is out of options?

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
:P

I knew you'd pipe up soon on this one.  How could I forget my first big argument on this board?  Especially with you here to remind me.

Good question.  Anyone know if he is out of options?

:cheers :cheers :cheers

I was actually surprised Ozzie said anything positive about Gload. He is the worst Of'er on the team however, and I dont think he will make the team.

I like Gload, and IMO he deserves a spot (moreso than Borch, also IMO), but that doesn't mean he will get it. I think a good pinch hitter is needed, and even though he didn't do all that well last year (let's keep in mind though how many games he played), he could get better next year and he plays a solid 1B. On the other hand, look what happened to A-Row. IMO though he should be given the chance. Plenty of players have been kept much longer until they finally broke out than Gload, and Gload had an amazing 2004 so I wouldn't count him out by a long shot.

Edited by TheBigHurt

He's a very, very good 1b. I want Gload on this team, he can flat out hit, he can run, and he plays one hell of a first base.

I just don't understand this "flat out hit" and "he can run". Where does it come from?

A career ops in 373 PA's of .765. Good enough for an OPS+ of 94. If that is "flat out hitting" I'd love to see the words you'd choose to describe Pujols--"demi god", or maybe just "God"?

Speed? He's 0/3 in career stolen bases. Yep, speedy alright.

I'll even concede he's a good defensive 1B. But let me repeat: he plays the easiest position on the field.

So lets say this: he's a below average hitter by league standards, much worse by position standards, and plays a good 1B, something not that important in the grand scheme of things. He will be 30 years old this season, and barring a miracle, has already peaked as a player. The two players in front of him at 1B, Kong and Thome, also happen to be the two best sluggers on the team.

Tell me, what use does Gload have on this team? RF? Oh but the same scouting report from STATS INC that says he's a good defensive 1B also says he's got a noodle arm, that won't help in RF one bit.

Notice that I don't ask the question "what value does Gload have in general", because yes, he probably could make a roster that needs a backup 1B. The Sox are not that team.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I just don't understand this "flat out hit" and "he can run".  Where does it come from?

A career ops in 373 PA's of .765.  Good enough for an OPS+ of 94.  If that is "flat out hitting" I'd love to see the words you'd choose to describe Pujols--"demi god", or maybe just "God"? 

Speed?  He's 0/3 in career stolen bases.  Yep, speedy alright.

I'll even concede he's a good defensive 1B.  But let me repeat: he plays the easiest position on the field. 

So lets say this: he's a below average hitter by league standards, much worse by position standards, and plays a good 1B, something not that important in the grand scheme of things.  He will be 30 years old this season, and barring a miracle, has already peaked as a player.  The two players in front of him at 1B, Kong and Thome, also happen to be the two best sluggers on the team. 

Tell me, what use does Gload have on this team?  RF?  Oh but the same scouting report from STATS INC that says he's a good defensive 1B also says he's got a noodle arm, that won't help in RF one bit.

Notice that I don't ask the question "what value does Gload have in general", because yes, he probably could make a roster that needs a backup 1B.  The Sox are not that team.

I think the "flat out hit" assertion comes more from opinion and watching him play than from statistics. Statistics don't tell you the mechanics behind a hitter's swing, they just show what happen when he hits the ball, and I think that's more of what Rowand was getting at. He does have a good swing at the plate, and he did hit .327 for the Sox or whatever it was exactly with fairly solid splits in 2004.

Also, SB's are not always a good way of indicating speed...Paul O'Neill was 22 out of 25 in SBs in 2001 - not only was that a career high in SBs and SB%, but it also just so happened to be the last year of his career. He didn't exactly have Vince Coleman speed, but was smart enough to be able to read the pitcher's movements and swipe quite a few bases for the Yanks.

I personally agree with you on Gload being fairly useless to the Sox, just thought I'd make those points.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I just don't understand this "flat out hit" and "he can run".  Where does it come from?

A career ops in 373 PA's of .765.  Good enough for an OPS+ of 94.  If that is "flat out hitting" I'd love to see the words you'd choose to describe Pujols--"demi god", or maybe just "God"? 

Speed?  He's 0/3 in career stolen bases.  Yep, speedy alright.

I'll even concede he's a good defensive 1B.  But let me repeat: he plays the easiest position on the field. 

So lets say this: he's a below average hitter by league standards, much worse by position standards, and plays a good 1B, something not that important in the grand scheme of things.  He will be 30 years old this season, and barring a miracle, has already peaked as a player.  The two players in front of him at 1B, Kong and Thome, also happen to be the two best sluggers on the team. 

Tell me, what use does Gload have on this team?  RF?  Oh but the same scouting report from STATS INC that says he's a good defensive 1B also says he's got a noodle arm, that won't help in RF one bit.

Notice that I don't ask the question "what value does Gload have in general", because yes, he probably could make a roster that needs a backup 1B.  The Sox are not that team.

If gload gives us a .765 off the bench i am fine by that... but i think he could put up around .800. You have to remember this guy has been f***ed with his whole career and if you go by his 2000, 2002, and 2005 season which he had 106 at-bats total that is pretty naive to me. Many players cannot get comfortable in such a short time span. The only time he had a decent amount of playing time in one season... 2004 for over 250 plate appearances he hit .321 for us. I also am sick of hearing '' those games meant nothing... we were already out of it''.

If timo managed to stay on the team all of 2004 when he was supposedly injured for most of the year how the hell couldn't ross gload? Only thing timo has on gload is he can throw better. Also, if first base not that important in the grand scheme of things, how many more errors do you think the sox would have had if someone like frank thomas was playing first base the last 3-4 years every day? Do you know how many balls konerko has to pick out of the dirt because of crede and uribe? Hell even iguchi was wild as f*** and he has the shortest distance to throw. A very good first baseman ( rather have the picking abilities than versatility at first) saved our ''great'' defense too many times to count.

Did you really say he doesn't have good speed because he is 0-3 in his career @ stolen bases? He is a good base runner and faster than either thome and konerko ( yes not clearly the hitter they are... but not the point).

I still stand by the fact that he made that error against the cubs in right field is what keeps them thinking he is the worst fielder ever. He is not good by any means... but he is no worse than everett or timo in the field... especially since he would be seeing very limited time.

I use to think he should make the team... in previous years, and even before the off-season got under way. Now? We have bigger needs like a power hitting right handed bat off the bench. Juan gonzalez would have been the perfect flyer to me... sign him to a minor league deal and anything he does is an added bonus. If he went out on his first swing, so be it. But now that does not look like an option ( never really thought it was in the first place.

All in all teams have worse options than ross gload backing up first but he is only needed if a long term injury occurs very soon.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I think the "flat out hit" assertion comes more from opinion and watching him play than from statistics.  Statistics don't tell you the mechanics behind a hitter's swing, they just show what happen when he hits the ball, and I think that's more of what Rowand was getting at.  He does have a good swing at the plate, and he did hit .327 for the Sox or whatever it was exactly with fairly solid splits in 2004. 

Also, SB's are not always a good way of indicating speed...Paul O'Neill was 22 out of 25 in SBs in 2001 - not only was that a career high in SBs and SB%, but it also just so happened to be the last year of his career.  He didn't exactly have Vince Coleman speed, but was smart enough to be able to read the pitcher's movements and swipe quite a few bases for the Yanks. 

I personally agree with you on Gload being fairly useless to the Sox, just thought I'd make those points.

Jason bay was 20-20 at one point last season and ended up 21-22. He is really fast no? I mean he is slightly above average... but not the fastest ever as those stolen base numbers would indicate. Just a good and smart base runner.