White Sox Acquire Infielder Alex Cintron

OfficerKarkovice

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Yes, lets let a guy make the team base on something that may happen once all season.  Good idea.  Or we could take a player who could actually fill in once in a series and play good defense at a position where he is needed.

:lol:

I usually try to read through a whole thread before posting something but this was too funny. You were not really talking about ozuna i hope?

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
:lol:

I usually try to read through a whole thread before posting something but this was too funny. You were not really talking about ozuna i hope?

That was like 12 hours ago but I believe he was talking about Borchard, that entire discussion was based around Gload and Borch.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
He's been nothing less than spectacular in his last 2 years of minor league work, and he's never really had a bad year.

Please save the "minor leagues are meaningless" responses -- yeah, okay.  Some of us'll take that over about 10 innings in the bigs.

Cintron can't hurt, but when we're trading away a guy w/ a good history b/c we have Javier Lopez (with a much longer record of major league ineptitude) looking good in a few innings of spring training, it concerns me a bit, yeah.

I see your point, and I don't think minor league numbers are meaningless. It's just hard to block out what you've seen (I've already stated it's been a small sample size) from him when it comes to facing major league hitters. He's gotten absolutely shellshocked. Does that mean he can't be a good pitcher? Not at all. But the dude is 28 years old. I would think a little bit differently of him if he were 23 or 24. The Sox obviously thought he had no place with this organaztion. Maybe this move will come back to bite them in the ass someday. Anyway, I'm very happy with Cintron.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
That was like 12 hours ago but I believe he was talking about Borchard, that entire discussion was based around Gload and Borch.

Thankfully. Was gonna say... ozuna is a f***ing butcher.

I'm not going to go though a 28 page thread to get the answer but does anyone know if this Cintron guy has any experience playing the OF... More importantly does anyone know if he has any experience playing CF... If he could then I would tend to go with the Gload people and say that Borch is on the way out...

Ozuna plays a solid LF, along with every IF position besides 1B. Not to mention he's our best leadoff option of all the bench guys...

Mack plays just about everywhere he's asked too...

Gload can play 1B and a servicable LF.

If this guy can prove himself to play above a Willie Harris level at CF then it's entirely possible Brian Anderson might see some competition and it makes the bench just that much deeper...

So has he ever played the outfield in the minors... How did he do at it?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
I'm not going to go though a 28 page thread to get the answer but does anyone know if this Cintron guy has any experience playing the OF... More importantly does anyone know if he has any experience playing CF... If he could then I would tend to go with the Gload people and say that Borch is on the way out...

Ozuna plays a solid LF, along with every IF position besides 1B. Not to mention he's our best leadoff option of all the bench guys...

Mack plays just about everywhere he's asked too...

Gload can play 1B and a servicable LF.

If this guy can prove himself to play above a Willie Harris level at CF then it's entirely possible Brian Anderson might see some competition and it makes the bench just that much deeper...

So has he ever played the outfield in the minors... How did he do at it?

To my knowldge, Cintron is strictly an infielder. That's all we need him to be. Mack is gonna basically be the back-up outfielder now.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
I guess I was hoping we might have picked up a Figgins type guy where he might be good as a CF too... I don't know much about him at all to be honest...

Anderson and Mack are holding down CF. As far as Cintron goes, he's one of the better reserve players in the game. He can play SS, 2B and 3B. He has decent speed and pop. He's a very good pinch-hitter as well.

Ohh well either way...

Is anyone else hoping that KW now just says payroll be damned and swings a trade with the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr and say Kent Mecker....

Griffey and Mecker for Borchard, Any outfield prospect not named Anderson or Sweeney, and one of our top pitching prospects...

If KW did that then I think I would just cream my pants on the spot...

Ohh well either way...

Is anyone else hoping that KW now just says payroll be damned and swings a trade with the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr and say Kent Mecker....

Griffey and Mecker for Borchard, Any outfield prospect not named Anderson or Sweeney, and one of our top pitching prospects...

I'd take Mercker but not Griffey. Too damn old, injury-prone, and expensive.

This is a great trade! I cannot think of a bench that comes close to this one in terms of quality and flexibility. Cintron gives the Sox 2 bench choices at almost every position without that much of a downgrade.

C - Widger

1B - Mack, Thome

2B - Ozuna, Cintron

SS - Cintron, Ozuna

3B - Mack, Cintron, Ozuna

OF - Borchard, Mack

DH - Borchard, Mack

I am sure I am missing a few combinations, but either way this gives the Sox some great options off the bench and in the event of an injury.

Griffey has the range of a fat man riding a Rascal™ scooter with the low battery light flashing. Did you see him allow that inside the parker today? Took him an hour and a half to back-up the gimpy Holliday.

Now that Thome's on board, I would agree with Hawk. Where Would He Play?

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
Ohh well either way...

The Griffey ship sailed about a year ago around the trade deadline. We got this slugger named Thome who fills that position. Griffey hurts himself when he farts, so I dont think he would be anything for us besides a DH.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
Ohh well either way...

We may as well have kept Frank then. Way, way too much of an injury risk.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Griffey has the range of a fat man riding a Rascal™ scooter with the low battery light flashing. Did you see him allow that inside the parker today? Took him an hour and a half to back-up the gimpy Holliday.

Now that Thome's on board, I would agree with Hawk. Where Would He Play?

That was my first thought after seeing Stern score today on that as well.

At least Anderson should provide good defense, and some people think he's better than Rowand in that regard.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Ohh well either way...

We could have the best team of 1996!

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
Well to be fair US Cellular field is hardly the hardest place in the league to play CF... Hell he'd be better then Carl Everett was when he was our starting CF... Somehow adding another potential 40 HR hitter in the lineup just makes me want to cream my pants...

Remind me when was Everett our CFer?

Oh that's right for about 200 ABs of tent-folding in the 2003 season. That was fun. Let's do that again.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Well to be fair US Cellular field is hardly the hardest place in the league to play CF... Hell he'd be better then Carl Everett was when he was our starting CF... Somehow adding another potential 40 HR hitter in the lineup just makes me want to cream my pants...

Griffey feels the same way. Unfortunately, last time he felt that way, he wound up on the DL for 6 weeks with a hamstring pull.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)

How is he going to hit 40 homers when he plays 30 games.

What a HR/Game ratio.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)

Don't forget how much Griffey has left on his contract. At least if you re-signed Frank, you could have done that for a lot cheaper.

Griffey does have that potential, but it's also more likely than not that he'll miss some time during the season, and saying he's better than Everett in CF isn't really saying much about his defensive abilities at all, when Ozzie and KW are building a team around pitching and defense which has always been the plan.