Are You Ready for Year of the Bandwagon?!

LVSoxFan

A couple of weeks ago the Sunday Trib contained a pull-out section for, well, basically, people who weren't Sox fans until the Series last year. It was like your Sox Guide for Dummies, including everything from maps of the park to special promotion nights to local bars/restaurants to hit to a little Sox history 101.

In other words, for all the people who are just now going to start going to the Cell.

Then, in yesterday's Sun-Times, they had a one page article about how everything's different now--that regulars like us can no longer show up right before first pitch to buy those tix, last-minute. No more 15,000 size crowds at games, longer lines for everything, no parking... pretty bleak.

To listen to everybody it sounds like the experience is never going to be the same again. I can't tell if this is all hype, or--based on the Cubs in 2003--it truly is the end of the Sox as being the "other" team, and proud of it. I also know a guy who lived in Cleveland after their win and he said it was a good two years before you could get into games again.

Or maybe it's all just overdone--you may remember, we were in first place all year, literally, last year, and in the thick of it in September those games were not even CLOSE to sold out. It was only when we were finally in the playoffs proper (and particularly the ALCS and beyond) that everybody went bat-s***.

So I hold out some hope that it won't turn into Wrigley South.

There was a story the other day by some guy who said his new favorite team was the L.A. Clippers (NBA). Why? Because, as he pointed out, the Lakers are always sold out and they get all the fame, and all the celebrities sitting courtside at every game. The Clippers are the "other" team. And that's why he'd love to see them crush one year and watch all the Laker fans jump the bandwagon.

Trust me dude: I know what it's like when that happens...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it happens, there's nothing you can do to stop it, so try not to worry about it.

This is the one thing that makes me feel better about bandwagon fans....Last season will never mean as much to them as it did to us.

If we turn into "Wrigley South" I will be so pissed off. I'm tired of bandwagon fans, they know nothing about the team except a star player and the fact that they are winning games. The fact that bandwagon fans take seats from people who get the MLB package on TV just to watch the sox play is ridiculous. Plus, people like this are exactly what could turn the Cell into a place like Wrigley. So these idiots better not turn us into exactly what we hate. :fight

This is something I don't know if I can get used too. I hate bandwagon fans just as much as the next guy, the only good thing is it's giving our team money and more exposure. I'm trying to convince myself that it's ok and I'll just deal with the idiots talking about our team and not knowing jack shi* about them. I dont think I can deal with it nothuing makes me more mad then hearing some punk spouting off and not knowing anything. Or maybe I just have anger issues idk.

Well, I seem to recall having this debate about bandwagoners (for or against) about 10 times over the offseason, but I'll offer my argument again.

Bangwagon fans mean more revenue which means more payroll. Payroll helps support winning teams. It's a good cycle.

I really don't care about bandwagon fans, let me put it this way: why should I be offended, or my enjoyment of the Sox be lessened--because someone else now enjoys them? It isn't like my enjoyment goes down relative to everyone elses going up--there is no big "Sox enjoyment" pie in the sky that everyone gets a piece from. I'm happy that the bangwagoners daughters and sons will now be "hardcore" Sox fans. I was lucky enough to have a hardcore Sox and baseball in general fan as a father. Otherwise, I'd probably be rooting for the Tigers, just like most everyone else here in MI.

This is something I don't know if I can get used too. I hate bandwagon fans just as much as the next guy, the only good thing is it's giving our team money and more exposure. I'm trying to convince myself that it's ok and I'll just deal with the idiots talking about our team and not knowing jack shi* about them. I dont think I can deal with it nothuing makes me more mad then hearing some punk spouting off and not knowing anything. Or maybe I just have anger issues idk.

I'm with you buddy, I was in school and some Cubs prick was mouthing off about their team, so some kid walks in with a Konerko jersey on and is like are you making fun of my Chicago Champs, so these nerd baits argued for some. Not knowing s*** so then I asked the so called sox fan to name 5 sox players on these year's team ... His reply ...

1)Konerko

2)Rowand

3) Umm some other dudes

I nearly lost it right there, sorry for talking on and on but that got me very pissed off.

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
it happens, there's nothing you can do to stop it, so try not to worry about it.

This is the one thing that makes me feel better about bandwagon fans....Last season will never mean as much to them as it did to us.

Ding ding ding

PS not only will crowds suck, but the Ryan is tore up. Major headache this summer

Bandwagon fans = getting more tickets in advance (did that), getting to the park earlier (always get there plenty early anyway), ignoring stupid chatter (difficult but possible), longer lines at concession stands (going to be a pain, but not too much of one) and hanging around post-game for the parking lot to clear or the train station to thin out a little (new concept for me but I think I can get used to it).

The most difficult thing is going to be the bathroom situation, I think. Not much advance planning you can do to manage that.

QUOTE(SouthsideBlitz @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
I'm with you buddy, I was in school and some Cubs prick was mouthing off about their team, so some kid walks in with a Konerko jersey on and is like are you making fun of my Chicago Champs, so these nerd baits argued for some. Not knowing s*** so then I asked the so called sox fan to name 5 sox players on these year's team ... His reply ...

1)Konerko

2)Rowand

3) Umm some other dudes

I nearly lost it right there, sorry for talking on and on but that got me very pissed off.

wow...

What a dumbass. I hate people like that, people who are fans of a team because of the star player. For example, people who are fans of the atlanta falcons because of Michael Vick, the list goes on and on.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
The most difficult thing is going to be the bathroom situation, I think. Not much advance planning you can do to manage that.

Piss right before the game, then after the game. :bang

When i don't drink, which is often at the park, it can be done.

Also, i may have to try your "stay around after the game" thing to avoid let the red line die down, i plan to take the red line to most games this year after driving part of the way.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
So I hold out some hope that it won't turn into Wrigley South.

God forbid we sell out and have people at our games!

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Well, I seem to recall having this debate about bandwagoners (for or against) about 10 times over the offseason, but I'll offer my argument again.

Bangwagon fans mean more revenue which means more payroll.  Payroll helps support winning teams.  It's a good cycle.

I really don't care about bandwagon fans, let me put it this way:  why should I be offended, or my enjoyment of the Sox be lessened--because someone else now enjoys them?  It isn't like my enjoyment goes down relative to everyone elses going up--there is no big "Sox enjoyment" pie in the sky that everyone gets a piece from.  I'm happy that the bangwagoners daughters and sons will now be "hardcore" Sox fans.  I was lucky enough to have a hardcore Sox and baseball in general fan as a father.  Otherwise, I'd probably be rooting for the Tigers, just like most everyone else here in MI.

Ditto.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
:crying  :crying  :crying

I have no problem with people jumping on the bandwagon, driving out to the cell, filling the park, and getting are payroll UP UP UP.

No problem.

I understand this point of view because I'd much rather see the Cell filled up than seeing an ocean of empty seats. All I'm trying to say is I'd rather see loyal fans filling up those seats than people who didn't care about the Chicago White Sox until October of 2005.

QUOTE(The Human Borch @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
I understand this point of view because I'd much rather see the Cell filled up than seeing an ocean of empty seats. All I'm trying to say is I'd rather see loyal fans filling up those seats than people who didn't care about the Chicago White Sox until October of 2005.

Ya we all would but no matter who is showing up it brings in more money which brings in more quality players.

Honestly, I won't really care unless the dumbasses come to the Cell wearing their Cubs' s*** and talking about that team they're passing off as a major league club. As long as the morons aren't ripping the Sox, I'll live with it.

We've got season tickets now, so that's not an issue. We also do a lot of the stuff that Critic said. If you're driving, put a cooler in the car with some drinks and maybe a sub, that way you can sit in the parking lot for a while without going nuts.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
More games attended = greater atttendance.

Hmmm, not according to my math. :D

I can afford to go to games, but I can't afford to go to games, you know what I'm saying? What's the parking charge up to nowadays, like $20? If I want like 4 or 5 beers, a bag of peanuts, and a hot dog, what am I going to have to pay? The hell with that.

I'm not trying to get f***ed up the ass. The more bandwagon fans, the better. Pay for this bulls***, because I sure as hell ain't trying to. I'll have a great time watching games on television.