Hawk & DJ? Feud?

LVSoxFan

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
Well, this post is a microcosm of my beef with the Singleton criticisms.  Thank you.

You are going to hold it against Singleton for replacing a legend?  Singleton is replacing the best play-by-play announcer in baseball.  Period.  If you are going to hold a novice to Rooney's standards, you are going to be seriously disappointed.

We've gone over this time and time again.  If you want to express your displeasure at someone, make it Score management via the White Sox.

We have yet to reach the All-Star break and Singleton is already being labeled one of the worst announcers in Sox history.  Give the guy a freaking chance.

It doesn't help that he has to sit next to Farmer, a guy that is barely cut-out for color duties.  The venom being spewed at Singleton just floors me.

:cheers

FWIW, I think that Singleton is further along than DJ was in his first year.

Sox fans are spoiled as hell after years and years of Rooney and Hawk. Hell, even Farmer is a pretty good color guy (IMO). Most of the people whining here have no freaking idea of what bad announcing is like. Try watching a Mariners game on TV. Those guys are absolutely wretched. I mean, I shut off the TV four innings into Monday's game because I couldn't stand to listen to them anymore. They make Farmer and Singleton look like Cosell and Scully.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought one of the best broadcast teams was when they brought Robin Ventura up to the booth and it was him DJ and Hawk. Having a 3rd person really deflated any perceived tension between Hawk and DJ. I dont know how common it is in baseball to have a 3-man squad and Robin said he didnt want to be a broadcaster, but that handful of games they all worked together was good stuff.

As long as we're on this topic...

I love Hawk as much as the next guy, but his incessant slobbering over everything White Sox is becoming overkill. I mean, Jesus Christ, you'd think it's impossible for any major league team to win the World Series without Joey Cora coaching 3rd base.

/rant.

I guess this is what happens after you win a WS.

I refuse to believe that Hawk is anything but a great guy....because if i were to believe anything else it would meaning giving a sliver of credit to anything that idiot Moron-ati has ever said about Hawk. i can't have that

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
As long as we're on this topic...

I love Hawk as much as the next guy, but his incessant slobbering over everything White Sox is becoming overkill. I mean, Jesus Christ, you'd think it's impossible for any major league team to win the World Series without Joey Cora coaching 3rd base.

/rant.

I guess this is what happens after you win a WS.

You mean the constant statements like...

"This is the best 5 man rotation I've ever seen"

"This is the best 3-4-5 lineup I've ever seen"

"Crede's playin the best defense I've ever seen"

"Contreras has the most movement I've ever seen"

And the best, after KC beat the Sox to win the Series in April, Hawk said this in reference to the jugernaut reigning in KC. "Don't be fooled, this team is good."

Between the ridiculous Sox hyperbole, and his calls of "stretch" for every flyball within 10 feet of the warning track, Hawk's gotten very difficult to listen to. Unfortunately, DJ's play by play "uh oooh" is no better, and the oasis of Rooney/Farmer is no more. So I'm forced to watch the Sox, waiting for ESPN to pick up a few games, so Chris Berman can provide his neutral, professional, call.

Edited by Damen

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)

And the best, after KC beat the Sox to win the Series in April, Hawk said this in reference to the jugernaut reigning in KC. "Don't be fooled, this team is good." 

Between the ridiculous Sox hyperbole, and his calls of "stretch" for every flyball within 10 feet of the warning track, Hawk's gotten very difficult to listen to.  Unfortunately, DJ's play by play "uh oooh" is no better, and the oasis of Rooney/Farmer is no more.  So I'm forced to watch the Sox, waiting for ESPN to pick up a few games, so Chris Berman can provide his neutral, professional, call.

OMG you jest, right? Chris "Ohhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Berman? LOL.

I'm guessing you just forgot to turn on the green there.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)

:lolhitting

"Make no mistake about it..."

My personal favorite is his answer to "which manager would you loved to have played for?"

Now, I was at least sort of expecting him to remain semi-objective before diving deep into Ozzie's ass by naming some other managers but I didn't even get that. He just said Ozzie and that was it. And of course, DJ, not wanting to be out-homered by his partner, said the same. :headshake

I might be the only person out there that really doesn't care a whole hell of a lot about the announcers of a television broadcast and can tolerate almost anyone when it comes to a radio broadcast.

During a baseball game usually I'm busy discussing the game with those around me and am not relying on the announcers to entertain me. At times I can go almost an entire game without really hearing anything that an announcer says that is not standard play by play.

QUOTE(Damen @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)

Between the ridiculous Sox hyperbole, and his calls of "stretch" for every flyball within 10 feet of the warning track, Hawk's gotten very difficult to listen to.  Unfortunately, DJ's play by play "uh oooh" is no better, and the oasis of Rooney/Farmer is no more.  So I'm forced to watch the Sox, waiting for ESPN to pick up a few games, so Chris Berman can provide his neutral, professional, call.

post was all like :lol:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
I might be the only person out there that really doesn't care a whole hell of a lot about the announcers of a television broadcast and can tolerate almost anyone when it comes to a radio broadcast.

During a baseball game usually I'm busy discussing the game with those around me and am not relying on the announcers to entertain me. At times I can go almost an entire game without really hearing anything that an announcer says that is not standard play by play.

So YOU'RE that f***er who never shuts up!!!

:P :lol:

yeah I won't "give Singleton a chance". I listened to him and he sucks. We won the f***in world series, not the AAA playoffs. There are only like 30 of those radio color jobs in the world and you should have to earn it and singleton clearly didn't earn it on merit, just that he was a Sox player who would work cheap.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 07:36 AM)
Hawk = Big Ego

Wimpy = Laid back, loose/easy attitude + became more popular and Hawk did not like it

Add in some general tension and poof, Hawk, the bigger star and kiss ass, won and remained in the booth and Wimpy went bye-bye.

Personally, I still like Hawk on the broadcasts, but I loved him and Wimpy together. I feel HAwk and DJ have never developed any good chemistry.

I think Whimpy is doing all the games for the Nationals this year. The three Nats games I watched this season had him in the booth. I nkow for a while he was only doing a limited amount of games.

Its good hearing him back full time.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
I thought their banter was better when I heard them on some WGN games. I remember like 2 years ago when they sounded ready to fight over a shady homerun call.

I don't know if I could listen without DJ in the booth. He's really gotten better.

I've long said if I were in a front office position I'd bring DJ in to interview for the managerial position or at least make a recommendation for him as a coach on the managers staff.

I'm a HUGE DJ fan. He's one of my favorite TV guys in all of baseball. Behind Vin Scully (Just the Man), Michael Kay, Whimpy and a few others that aren't on my mind right now.

I'm not a fan of the NESN booth though.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
You all are making a mountain out a molehill. I could really give less than a damn if Gage was broadcasting a game if we're doing well...

I'll take that as a compliment. I may be bad, but I don't think I'd RUIN the broadcast.