2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astros GM Tim Purpura continued searching the trade market Tuesday, spending quite a bit of his time discussing with his top lieutenants the merit of making an inquiry for the Chicago White Sox's Freddy Garcia, a top-of-the-rotation righthander who came up through the Astros' Venezuelan Academy.

As of early Tuesday evening, the Astros general manager had not asked White Sox GM Kenny Williams what it would take to land Garcia, but those talks may start soon. The Astros continued their dialogue with the Colorado Rockies for righthander Jason Jennings.

"We talked to a lot of clubs today and continue the process," Purpura said. "Sometimes you think you're getting a little close, and then things don't turn out the way you like. But we're working on a lot of different fronts: starting pitching, lefthanded relief, the things we've talked about."

Purpura also is looking into an upgrade "from a utility point of view."

Bobby Jenks has "slimmed down" to 279 pounds. It was in the Sun-Times. They also said that the White Sox were concerned about his hip, but they think it is weight related, and his dropping a few may clear that up. Good to see he is working out. The White Sox need him badly.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Imagine what Cotts and Garcia could have gotten from Houston based on their needs.

Whats the chances of the base of the deal with Garcia to the Astro's for Willy Taveras and (ideas?).

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Whats the chances of the base of the deal with Garcia to the Astro's for Willy Taveras and (ideas?).

Taveras and pitching, sure, that's a good trade, IMO, to consider and start with.

Says here the Sox are interested in Jason Hirsh of Houston, a minor league pitching prospect. Anyone know anything about him?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

scroll down.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Taveras and pitching, sure, that's a good trade, IMO, to consider and start with.

Says here the Sox are interested in Jason Hirsh of Houston, a minor league pitching prospect. Anyone know anything about him?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

scroll down.

From MLB.Com

6'8" 250lb Right Handed Starter... Soon to be 25

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

2006 3 4 6.04 9 9 0 0 0 0 44.2 48 32 30 11 22 29

Career 3 4 6.04 9 9 0 0 0 0 44.2 48 32 30 11 22 29

...also named a Triple A All-Star...pitched one inning of relief for the PCL squad at the game in Toledo (1.0,2,1,1,0,1)...rated as the Astros top prospect by Baseball America heading into the 2006 season...also listed with "Best Control" in the organization.

Edited by ChiSox9

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Bobby Jenks has "slimmed down" to 279 pounds. It was in the Sun-Times. They also said that the White Sox were concerned about his hip, but they think it is weight related, and his dropping a few may clear that up. Good to see he is working out. The White Sox need him badly.

This is good news. As Dean Wurmer said 'Fat, Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son'

Willy Taveras may be one of the few players in baseball who is worse than Podsednik offensively. He's a 4th OFer who has name recognition because of a big 2005 postseason, specifically the World Series.

Yuck. F'ing pass in a second. The Sox have their own Taveras in the form of Jerry Owens.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Willy Taveras may be one of the few players in baseball who is worse than Podsednik offensively. He's a 4th OFer who has name recognition because of a big 2005 postseason, specifically the World Series.

Yuck. F'ing pass in a second. The Sox have their own Taveras in the form of Jerry Owens.

no way, Jerry Owens is way cooler than Tavares because he used to play football.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
no way, Jerry Owens is way cooler than Tavares because he used to play football.

If this is a cool person debate, either Podsednik or Thome wins. Podsednik, because he is railing a former centerfold, or Thome, because he is Jim Thome.

I got to say one thing...I'm all giddy to see what happens next. No matter how many trades I've been a part of on ST, with each new trade comes that whole its christmas time feeling all over again (even if I completely hate a trade...which has rarely happened during Kenny's tenure).

The two exceptions are the deals we made with Pitt (Ritchie deal and the Marte deal) and I leaned towards anger over the Vazquez deal but also admitted its the type of move that could have paid of big time and considering the types of contracts FA pitchers are getting now I'm much more of a fan of the deal cause it gives us Vaz for at least one more year (and we can go arb with him the following year) and at the same time I still think we can move Vaz and get more than what we gave up for him (cause I think Pelfrey and something else would be >>> Chris Young).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 09:10 PM) *

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Levine said this morning that had that Houston deal been completed Thursday morning, we would have dealt some or all of those prospects, plus one or both of Floyd and Gio to the Red Sox for Manny Ramirez.

This was a new rumor to me, so I thought I'd put it here for anyone who might not have had the time to read through all of the Garland to Houston rumor thread. Thanks iamshack.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 02:13 PM) *

I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread to see if this was posted or not...if so my apologies. I just found this interesting.

Jon Garland, RHSP--Chicago White Sox: White Sox are shopping him. Rangers were close to acquiring him in a package that would have included John Danks at one point, but both teams decided not to pull the trigger. Brian Anderson could have also be involved in the deal. The talks stalled because of the White Sox demand of acquiring multiple Rangers' pitching prospects rather than just one. The Orioles were interested, but were unwilling to move Daniel Cabrera and Garrett Olson. The Astros were close to acquiring him at the winter meetings for Willy Taveras, Jason Hirsh and Taylor Buchholz, but the deal eventually fell through. The Astros also offered the same package for Javier Vazquez. However, talks are ongoing between the two clubs.

Last updated: 04:29 PM - Dec 9, 06 by MLB4U.com | Source: Ken Rosenthal |

The fact that the Astros had the same interest for Javier Vazquez as Garland is news to me. Again this was deep in the Houston thread. Thanks EvilJester99.

Mods, I hope it's not a problem that I add this info here. Those short on time may not be able to read all of the big treads and miss what I consider to be new information.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
This was a new rumor to me, so I thought I'd put it here for anyone who might not have had the time to read through all of the Garland to Houston rumor thread. Thanks iamshack.

The fact that the Astros had the same interest for Javier Vazquez as Garland is news to me. Again this was deep in the Houston thread. Thanks EvilJester99.

Mods, I hope it's not a problem that I add this info here. Those short on time may not be able to read all of the big treads and miss what I consider to be new information.

I don't see a problem with it.

so right now i'm re-watching Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS on the Sox DVD set...just got to the "El Duke inning".

what a moment.

EDIT: and who can ever forget this amazing comment from Berman when the game was over: "Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox. And congratulations to the Boston Red Sox as well".

come on.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
so right now i'm re-watching Game 3 of the 2005 ALDS on the Sox DVD set...just got to the "El Duke inning".

what a moment.

EDIT: and who can ever forget this amazing comment from Berman when the game was over: "Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox. And congratulations to the Boston Red Sox as well".

come on.

Remember the Graffanino error? His comment was "OH NO!!!"....well Chris, that depends on who you are rooting for.

Edited by shawnhillegas

Freddy Garcia said he did have some shoulder pain during a 2006 season in which his velocity was consistently down.

He believes his heavy workload through 2005 and the postseason took a toll. "My shoulder hurt a little bit. I couldn't let it go," Garcia said. "I'm getting a lot of rest." If Garcia is throwing harder next spring, he'd be a better option in fantasy leagues.

I knew he needed an MRI. Thank God he kept pitching hurt for the most of the year, so we couldnt of stretched out Bmac. He could of taken a rest, got stronger.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Wow.

If an injured Freddy Garcia can put up better or similar numbers to a "young stud" like Jon Garland, why did we trade him? :bang

Well Garland admitted, in season, that he had an extended "dead arm" period. It wasn't until he had been pitching well for a couple of months, but he admitted that he didn't have a "feel" for his pitches for the first 10-12 starts of the season.