2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
I knew he needed an MRI. Thank God he kept pitching hurt for the most of the year, so we couldnt of stretched out Bmac. He could of taken a rest, got stronger.

MRIs rarely show anything accurrate in the shoulder. Most people in the medical profession say that MRI stans for More Radiographical Income. With pitchers wear and tear they may give aclue but are not significant.

This is true for MR imaging in general. There was a study done where 300 people without back pain were given MRIs. About 80% came back positive for herniated discs. So either eveyone has herniated discs that are asymptomatic or MRIs are largely inaccurrate.

Just keep that in mind when you read these items in the paper. This is one reason why initial "out much time they will miss" estimates are frequently wrong.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Dowd: More deals on horizon

Jennings trade allows flexibility

By Patrick Saunders

Denver Post Staff Writer

Article Last Updated:12/13/2006 11:33:15 PM MST

In exchange for Jennings, above, and pitcher Miguel Asencio, the Rockies received Astros center fielder Willy Taveras and young pitchers Jason Hirsh and Taylor Buchholz. (Post file)The dealing might not be done.

A day after the Rockies shipped staff ace Jason Jennings to Houston in exchange for three players, general manager Dan O'Dowd said other moves could be in the works.

"We're not done yet," O'Dowd said Wednesday. "We feel like we've improved our team, but doing this trade also puts us in a position to be flexible and make some moves if we think they'll help us."

In exchange for Jennings and pitcher Miguel Asencio, the Rockies received Astros center fielder Willy Taveras and young pitchers Jason Hirsh and Taylor Buchholz.

Taveras, who batted .278 and stole 33 bases last season, gives the Rockies much-needed speed in the outfield and on the basepaths. However, Taveras doesn't hit for power, swatting just one homer last season. If the right deal pops up, Taveras could be part of it.

The White Sox, for instance, desperately need a speedy leadoff hitter and might be willing to shop center fielder Brian Anderson, but O'Dowd said the Rockies aren't interested.

"We like him as a player, and although we do have interest in a center fielder, one in particular, he's not the guy," he said.

O'Dowd didn't say who that player is, but the Rockies have had previous interest in Tampa Bay's Rocco Baldelli, who hit .302 with 16 homers and 57 RBIs in 92 games last season. Tampa Bay is loaded with young outfielders, so Baldelli might be available.

If no trade is made, O'Dowd will still be a happy GM, because he's excited about Taveras' potential.

"I knew Willy when I was in Cleveland and he was just a young kid," O'Dowd said. "He's still young (Taveras turns 25 on Christmas) and can keep improving. He's got a good arm, but he needs to take better angles to the ball."

O'Dowd says Taveras has the potential to hit 30 to 40 doubles, 15 triples and score 100 runs.

"If he turns it on, he can be a tremendous player and add a new dimension to our team," O'Dowd said.

Pitching in

It's no secret the Rockies would like to add another starting pitcher - they have about $4 million in their budget - but they are not likely to shop the free-agent market to get him.

"If we get another pitcher, it would probably be through a trade," O'Dowd said. "We just don't see that much out there for us with the free agents that are left."

Free-agent pitchers such as Mark Redman and John Thomson would fit into the Rockies' budget, but agents for those pitchers said they have not been contacted by Colorado.

Footnotes

The Rockies officially completed a one-year, $1.075 million deal with catcher Yorvit Torrealba on Wednesday. ... Left-handed reliever Tom Martin signed a one-year deal with the Rockies and the club also signed a minor-league deal with left-handed reliever Mike Gallo. ... P.J. Carey, who has managed the Casper Rockies for five of the past six seasons, has resigned to take a job with the Dodgers.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I do know if this has any bearing on offseason moves but the 2007 White Sox calendar has Pods, Konerko, Buehrle, and Garland on the cover.

It would be kind of weird to put a player on there that was close to being traded or that would eventually be traded (Garcia, etc). So is this some kind of hidden statement.

So does this mean Garland and Buehrle are staying put?

That's a good observation actually, the Blue Jays went as far as taking Vernon Wells off all their Christmas cards and leaving him off all promotional ads for the 2007 season. You'd figure the White Sox marketing department would have the foresight to leave questionable players off any promotional items.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
I do know if this has any bearing on offseason moves but the 2007 White Sox calendar has Pods, Konerko, Buehrle, and Garland on the cover.

It would be kind of weird to put a player on there that was close to being traded or that would eventually be traded (Garcia, etc). So is this some kind of hidden statement.

So does this mean Garland and Buehrle are staying put?

My 2006 calendar has Frank Thomas as December and Aaron Rowand as August. I think it just shows how far in advance they start working on the calendars and will not be any indication of future offseason moves.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
My 2006 calendar has Frank Thomas as December and Aaron Rowand as August. I think it just shows how far in advance they start working on the calendars and will not be any indication of future offseason moves.

Or they're just dumb.

The 2005 model had Esteban Loaiza on the cover. He was traded in July of '04.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
Bodog.com has the White Sox at 8/1 to win the World Series next year. That is 4th lowest odds, behind the New Yorks and BoSox.

Link

Actually they have the 3rd lowest tied with the Red Sox at 8 to 1. I think the team at 12 to 1 odds is hilarious.

Yanks 4 to 1

Mets 6 to 1

Sox and Sawks 8 to 1

Angels, Tigers, and Cards 10 to 1

Cubs 12 to 1

Merry Christmas to all.

I was going to start a new thread but figured I wouldn't.

Does it anger you when people say Merry Christmas over Happy Holiday?

I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and if it's your relgion Happy Hannukah as well!

Seen this on MLBTradeRumors...TIFWIW.

New Evidence In Juan Uribe Case?

It appears that Listin Diario, the oldest daily newspaper of the Dominican Republic, indicated earlier this week that White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe may not be out of the woods on attempted murder charges. The original article seems to have vanished, but a decent English translation can be found here.

In late November it seemed like Uribe was going to be cleared of the shooting. However, the prosecution is promising new evidence that Uribe was involved. It certainly seems possible that the Sox will enter 2007 with Alex Cintron at shortstop.