Anyone ever meet a "famous" musician before?

Hangar18

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Kid are you the one that works in PR?

We had a thread like this over the winter didn't we? Can we get the search fixed...??? :pray

As Critic said, no I am not in PR. I am though in the process of writing two books. One is the history of the Glam scene, covering all basis of the genre. The other is a biography on somebody. The biography though is still in the air somewhat though.

As for the bit about "noted Glam scholar", that came about because when Rene Berg passed away (he was the replacement bassist in Hanoi Rocks when Sam Yaffa left, plus he was in a band before that and had a solo career after), it was known that I was trying to track the guy down. So some guy asked me for info on Rene. I told him what I knew. About a year later I was bouncing around the net, found a history on Rene, and at the end was my whole letter to the guy about Rene! The letter though was preceeded by a "Carl Isonhart, noted Glam scholar, said this about Rene:", to which I lost it and found something to laugh about for days. I still find it funny and use the title whenever I can. :D

In a strange way though, I think I just might do some PR for bands, I just don't get paid for it and I don't actually try to do it...

QUOTE(juddling @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
While at SIU in the late 80's and early 90's i got to meet a few 'famous' musicians. The coolest one( in my mind) was Tom Petty. He was setting up for his show and i saw him just walking around strumming his guitar watching his raod crew. Talked to him for about 30 minutes. Though he didn't take the hint i dropped about having no tickets for the show.

also at SIU, he isn't a muscian but he was in concert....i was walking through the woods with my head down not watching where i was going when i ran into a HUGE guy who knocked me on my ass. i got up ant saw it was 3 HUGE guys and when i muttered an apology , Eddie Murphy poked his head out of the crowd and said "It's cool...you all right?" I got an autograph...it was cool.

Ha, when I was at SIU I had my small moment as well. There was a band that had decent mainstream success called Revis, their record was released in 2001 I believe, and they had a single that was on the Daredevil Soundtrack(Caught in the Rain) and it was also on MLB2K1 IIRC. In 2000 I lived with the lead guitarist, Robert Davis. I can honestly say that I have never partied THAT MUCH in such a small period of time. It was very cool though, i got to see them go through the process of being discovered by an agent from Cali and all the way through them getting signed with Epic Records. And I was thanked in the band notes on the sleeve of the album, which still makes me smile.

Edited by kyyle23

:wub: leslie feist

The constantines were all very nice.

and to lowercaserepublican

would you want him to be a nice guy... i mean i've thought about it a while...and i wouldn't want mark e smith to be this outgoing nice person when i met him...he's supposed to be a prick.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Details?

I was at Disney World with my folks... yeeaarrss ago. I was 10 I think. And I'm in line for the Dumbo ride. All of a sudden here comes this huge group of security, the crowd parts, and there he is... ahhh.. the King of Pop - he was the King back then :lolhitting . He walks in the exit and gets in one of the Dumbo's. There are people screaming, film crews all over the place, etc, etc.. At this point I am thinking.. "cool, but I better not get screwed out of my ride....". One of his crew yells "I need a kid!!!". Without blinking my father grabs me, throws me to this man and next thing I know.. I am not only getting my ride... but I am sitting next to MJ. It wasn't that eventful. Quiet. Uncomfortable. We spoke a bit about how my visit there was going. He told me about his llama, bla, bla, bla. The only thing I really remember is that he had bandaids on his fingers of the hand that wasn't gloved, and talked like a girl. After the ride - which I swear went on for an hour we got off, he posed for pictures and my folks had to sign away MY first born stating that if my image was used in anything we wouldn't come looking for some cash. Years later they sent us a letter telling me I was in that video where he rides the amusement ride (took me about 482 time of watching it but I am in it for like 2 seconds) and supposedly I was also in some documentary about his vacation, and some IMAX movie he had going on at EPCOT years ago. It was pretty cool back then. Gage and Boz hounded me for months to let them see the pics - which now I think are way.. umm... a cigarette in London. ;)

I was too young to actually remember meeting him, but my brother went to high school (Elk Grove High School to be exact) with former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist and Elk Grove native James Iha. Coincidentally, my brother had a band in high school and Iha would fill in from time to time when they needed an extra. Played in the basement of my old house. My Mom told me that he was "a very strange kid."

Yup, James Iha. The most famous person ever to come out of Elk Grove...well, besides Dave Otto.

I stepped on BB King while exiting the wax museumin Hollywood. I thought his body guard was gonna kill me, but he intervened before the guy could do anything. My wife and I walked 3 or 4 blocks with him chatting. He was a very nice guy. I offered to buy him and his body guard a drink, but he just laughed and said no thanks.

As Kid said, define famous.

Spent time drinking and... with some of the Radiators way back when. Nice guys, lots of fun to hang out with.

Same answer with Dave Pirner, Danny Murphy and Karl Mueller from Soul Asylum -- much more with Danny and Karl -- good, laid back guys. Some other local Mpls guys, too.

I was at Arlington Park a long time ago, standing by the paddock before a race, trying to figure out what horse to lay cash on. I murmured aprovar about one horse when the guy to my left agreed with me. It was Cab Calloway. We chatted a little more aobut the entries in the race and then we parted ways. Him to the $50 window, me with the rest of the suckers.

The horse won by about three lengths -- one of my few cashed tickets that day.

I've met bad religion on a number of ocasions, and i've played on the taste of chaos with the used, my chemical romance, underoath, kill switch engage, and senses fail, and i've also played shows with the likes of Saosin and Strung out. I also met Mike Tyson once at LAX.

My cousin used to own a house 2 doors away from Billy Corgan on Greenview not far from the Urinal. I met him a couple of times. About 4 years ago, I had to pick up my sister's dog on Halloween, and she was made up as the devil. I was walking her back to my sister's place in Streeterville when a guy asked me if he could take a picture of the dog. It was Geddy Lee. I saw him with Rush the night before.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
My cousin used to own a house 2 doors away from Billy Corgan on Greenview not far from the Urinal. I met him a couple of times. About 4 years ago, I had to pick up my sister's dog on Halloween, and she was made up as the devil. I was walking her back to my sister's place in Streeterville when a guy asked me if he could take a picture of the dog. It was Geddy Lee. I saw him with Rush the night before.

Geddy Lee? hahahaahha, thats excellent. When you met Corgan a couple of times, did you tell him to stop dissing the SOX heh heh

in college, i met all the guys in phish. i wasn't really a fan, but i did an advance story on them for the school paper and got some free tickets to their show at mabels. hung out and had a rolling rock with them before the show. nice guys.

i met flea and chad smith from the red hot chili peppers outside one of their shows. met billy corgan at the same show. he was really quiet.

Let's see...I met and partied with the Egyptians, but not Robyn Hitchcock. I think I went to a party with Evan Dando...I was pretty ripped myself. Talked to Michael Hutchence for about 5 seconds (got a double take and a "Thank you" after saying, "Good show.") Ate Matthew Sweet's pizza...

Man, I miss the Star Course days...

Others, Poster Children and Hum, friends of friends. Met Joe Daniels from Local H.

Not sure how famous some of these guys are:

Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche, & Leroy Bach of Wilco

Jim James of My Morning Jacket

Brian Henneman & the Bottle Rockets

All of Drive By Truckers

Jay Farrar of Sov Volt

Chuck Rainey

The Donnas

Joan Jett

Elbow

Hung out and watched a Big Head Todd & The Monsters show while standing next to the lead guitarist from Hootie and the Blowfish (the tall guy with blond, curly hair... forgot his name). Apparently he wasn't satisfied with his seats either and had the same sneak-up-to-the-front mentality as my roomate and I. Anyway, he was a really cool guy.

Had a couple run-ins with musicians: Met Jeep from The Samples at a corner in Iowa City (he was on his mountain bike, they were playing a show there that night). Met Angelo from Fishbone after the set of a show they were playing. Got a thumbs up after yelling, "Carter Beauford on the Drums!" when I saw said drummer stick his head out of the DMB tour bus window.

These guys aren't really "famous" outside of Chicago, but I hung out and drank beer with Liquid Soul in one of the dressing rooms at Double Door. They were playing the '96/'97 New Year's Eve party and a good friend of mine (a DJ) was one of the opening acts. It was my first and only taste of the rock star life (hung out in the dressing rooms, free drinks all night, access to the VIP bathroom, etc.). I actually convinced some chicks that I was with the band - it's amazing how much more the ladies pay attention to you when they think that you're a musician! :lol:

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Not sure how famous some of these guys are:

Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche, & Leroy Bach of Wilco

Jim James of My Morning Jacket

Brian Henneman & the Bottle Rockets

All of Drive By Truckers

Jay Farrar of Sov Volt

Chuck Rainey

The Donnas

Joan Jett

Elbow

are the guys in elbow a bunch of pricks?

Dennis DeYoung and the Panozzo brothers from Styx at the Arena Bowl on 103rd & Cicero in Oak Lawn back when Styx was still on the the Wooden Nickel label. They hadn't hit it big nationally at that time, but "Lady" was a local hit and I had seen Styx perform a few times.

I also met Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad in a bar he was playing at in Paducah KY after GFR ended.

And Hank Williams, Jr. fwiw.