Official Ozzie/Mariotti Thread

gojimthome

A lot of Sox fans say they dislike Jay Mariotti, but I'm pretty apathetic to him. I don't read the Sun Times and I don't watch ATH, so maybe my lack of Mariotti exposure is the reason for my apathy towards him.

The only complaint I have with the guy is that he never enters the clubhouse to interview and get to know Sox players--though that's partly because the organization doesn't want him there.

I'm not apathetic to Ozzie's gay comment to Mariotti. I find it hilarious and refreshing. Today's society looks down on such use of "***" and people are bullied into silencing their use of it. There's no silencing Ozzie though, and the fact that he used it publically is a step in the right direction.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
A lot of Sox fans say they dislike Jay Mariotti, but I'm pretty apathetic to him. I don't read the Sun Times and I don't watch ATH, so maybe my lack of Mariotti exposure is the reason for my apathy towards him.

The only complaint I have with the guy is that he never enters the clubhouse to interview and get to know Sox players--though that's partly because the organization doesn't want him there.

I'm not apathetic to Ozzie's gay comment to Mariotti. I find it hilarious and refreshing. Today's society looks down on such use of "***" and people are bullied into silencing their use of it. There's no silencing Ozzie though, and the fact that he used it publically is a step in the right direction.

He claims that he was threatened with physical harm if he went in there.

What a f***ing pussy.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
Someone needs to wear a Guillen jersey at the corner of Halsted and Belmont this Sunday.

Whoever did that would probably get dragged into a dark building and have a certain scene from Pulp Fiction re-enacted on him.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Whoever did that would probably get dragged into a dark building and have a certain scene from Pulp Fiction re-enacted on him.

Emphasis on "drag."

What's wrong with showing a little Sox Pride?

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)

That reminds me of the one scene in Die Hard...

Oz is the best, unreal. It's so refreshing in this day and age

of political correctness.

If he gets suspended by baseball, you'd expect the Sun Times to suspend

Jay for blasting his own paper on the radio.

That's funny the Trib picked up on it and wrote it.

The sports editor of the Sun Times said no comment.

Priceless.

144 articles written on ozzie today.

This one is from gay.com

White Sox manager throws gay slur

Jen Christensen, PlanetOut Network

published Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The manager of last year's world championship baseball team is in trouble again for using anti-gay language.

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen used the term "***" while swearing -- to a reporter -- about a newspaper columnist who was critical of his coaching.

The Chicago Sun-Times' "Around the Horn" columnist, Jay Mariotti, had been critical of the way Guillen was using a particular relief pitcher. While Mariotti wasn't there to hear the tirade before Tuesday night's game, when asked about the column by another reporter, Guillen responded, "What a piece of s*** he is; f***ing ***."

Mariotti has not responded to the criticism -- although his paper has. On Wednesday, his Sun-Times colleague Greg Couch called in his own column for Guillen to apologize, and said Guillen should be suspended from the league for crossing the line on several occasions.

This is not the first time Guillen's been in trouble for using homophobic language. In August, the White Sox manager, while joking with a friend in the dugout at a game, called out, "Hey everybody, this guy's a homosexual! He's a child molester." Guillen made an apology after the community criticized his words.

Guillen, who is from Venezuela and recently became a U.S. citizen after many years in this country, also made the argument that the incident was a cultural misunderstanding and that he didn't have any problems with the gay community.

Couch confronted Guillen before writing his critical column. In their conversation after the game, Couch says that Guillen told him, "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country."

Guillen explained that in Venezuela, "***" does not refer to someone's sexuality; it refers to someone's courage. He said Mariotti was "not man enough to meet me and talk" before he published his criticisms.

According to Couch's column, Guillen added that he has gay friends, he went to the Madonna concert, goes to WNBA games, and plans to see some Gay Games events when they come to Chicago this summer.

Leaders of the Gay Games said they are happy to hear that Guillen plans to attend, but they said they don't like his use of homophobic terms.

"We're obviously very disappointed that one of our city's most recognizable sports figures would resort to anti-gay derogatory terms," said Kevin Boyer, a vice chairman of Gay Games Chicago. "Many children grow up in a society where calling someone a '***' is the most insulting term possible. For most people -- especially kids who watch White Sox baseball -- the term means "homosexual," even though Ozzie Guillen says he doesn't think that way."

The White Sox front office also offered an apology on behalf of Guillen.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Um, what are you doing on a site called gay.com? :lol:

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

I don't get it. :huh

I didn't say anything bad about him.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)

Yeah, maybe it's time to bring back some racial slurs too. I'm sure the use of the n word in every day language would be hilarious and refreshing also.

Whether people like it or not, the word *** is a derogatory term and considering Ozzie's previous comments in reference to gay individuals, his use of the word *** certainly creates the impression that he was calling Mariotti a homosexual.

Do I like Mariotti? Hell no. But there are so many other words in the English language you can call him besides ***

Just my two cents

Edited by soxunited

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:30 AM)
The Dugout's take on today's Around the Horn:

http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/jon53.html

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with a damn thing they've said. That was excellent.

oh_reali: But on the other hand, Jay Mariotti is kind of a worthless piece of s*** and often times when one tries to come up with a descriptor for such a man, one is at such a loss for words that he or she is prone to spew out any derogatory team that comes to mind.

Awesome

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
Yeah, maybe it's time to bring back some racial slurs too. I'm sure the use of the n word in every day language would be hilarious and refreshing also.

Whether people like it or not, the word *** is a derogatory term and considering Ozzie's previous comments in reference to gay individuals, his use of the word *** certainly creates the impression that he was calling Mariotti a homosexual.

Do I like Mariotti? Hell no. But there are so many other words in the English language you can call him besides ***

Just my two cents

I understand the derogatory nature of the word and yet still encourage its use.

When this fiasco started with Ozzie, I couldn't help but think of the Family Guy bit:

Cleveland: The only English idiom I know is that *** means cigarette.

Peter: Someone needs to tell this cigarette to get out of my face...

I'd actually be much happier if someone coached Ozzie to criticize Mariotti's grammatical writing. It's just as absurd as Mariotti being critical of baseball.