Kenny in Pittsburgh

beck72

If you scroll down, the article says Kenny Williams is in Pittsburgh. The Tribune is speculating that he's there to see ROberto Hernandez or solomon Torres.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

With Oliver Perez being demoted to the bullpen [is 2-10 this yr with a huge ERA, after having a down 2005 with a + 5 ERA as well], could a deal be swung for Perez? He'd be in the sox bullpen. But he may need some work with Cooper. With the kind of stuff Perez has, if the sox could get him back on track, they could be sitting on 7 SP's going into 2007. Pitt needs all the help they can get. If the Sox could part with some arms like Tracey, Haegar and Heath Phillips, Pitt would have to think about it. Esp. if Pitt thinks Perez is back to his old days of +5 ERA's--which is why San Diego traded him]

Pittsburgh has an overload of pitching, and also in the minors. I doubt they would want more fringe major league arms like Phillips.

If anything, they would want good young hitters, or for us to also take on a contract like Randa or Burnitz.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Perez would be an interesting name... What has caused his downfall this year?

He's been having control problems, and hasn't been throwing a lot of his pitches for strikes IIRC.

Sounds like the Coop reclamation project down to a tee.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
He's been having control problems, and hasn't been throwing a lot of his pitches for strikes IIRC.

Sounds like the Coop reclamation project down to a tee.

Yeah it sounds like mechanical problems replicating his delivery on certian pitches. See also Neal Cotts, Jose Contreras, and Matt Thornton.

I'd take a shot on him. Garland and/or Freddy would probably be gone next year if it happened, but look at it like this: We get a young LH who's damn good when he's on and he's shown he could be electric.

RHP-Jose Contreras

LHP-Mark Buehrle

RHP-Javier Vazquez

LHP-Oliver Perez

RHP-Brandon McCarthy

yeah he was a huge pickup when the pirates first got him, but he has been going down.

i would take oliver perez in a second, he's a young lefty who can either eat up innnings in the bullpen or come out in game situations

go get him kenny

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 06:45 AM)
If you scroll down, the article says Kenny Williams is in Pittsburgh. The Tribune is speculating that he's there to see ROberto Hernandez or solomon Torres.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

With Oliver Perez being demoted to the bullpen [is 2-10 this yr with a huge ERA, after having a down 2005 with a + 5 ERA as well], could a deal be swung for Perez? He'd be in the sox bullpen. But he may need some work with Cooper. With the kind of stuff Perez has, if the sox could get him back on track, they could be sitting on 7 SP's going into 2007. Pitt needs all the help they can get. If the Sox could part with some arms like Tracey, Haegar and Heath Phillips, Pitt would have to think about it. Esp. if Pitt thinks Perez is back to his old days of +5 ERA's--which is why San Diego traded him]

sure, if your goal is to acquire pitchers that suck.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
I'd rather have Torres than either of those guys. IN fact I dont know if I would want any of those guys. How many of them are an upgrade over what we have?

I would agree, although I think any of them may be an upgrade over Politte. If I were a GM, I would be especially leary of acquiring guys who have spent so much time in a losing atmosphere, that they are used to it. Its always been said that you have to learn how to win. Some players, while putting up impressive numbers, have never learned that, and it could be costly in a pennant race. The problem is, players on losing teams are the ones who are available. Hernandez has some winning in him, but he could very easily turn into a gas can.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
There are steroid rumors about Oliver Perez.

Okay, based on what? He still throws hard, just nowhere near the strike zone.

I wouldn't mind getting Perez, but I wouldn't want to count on him for anything. This is the second year in a row he's been terrible, only he's much worse this year.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
Okay, based on what? He still throws hard, just nowhere near the strike zone.

Ollie still has above-average velocity for a lefty, but now he works in the 88-91 range. In 2004, when he dominated, he worked in the 93-96 range. Given his relative youth, many in Pittsburgh have come to the conclusion that his significant loss in velocity can either be attributed to:

a) an injury that he's been hiding for a year and a half, or

B) his inability to take steroids since the beginning of the 2005 season

Most Pirate fans feel that "b" is more likely.

Edited by TheHolyBovine

Even while he's stinking, the Pirates aren't going to give up Perez without getting some top notch talent in return, imo.

Otherwise they might as well hold onto Oliver and see if they can get things solved themselves.

Hernandez is a possibility but Kenny makes a ton of trips with the team (as I think Dickallen alluded to).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Torres was the only guy who would interest me. But Polite is having a nice showing in his rehab starts, and I would rather stick with what we have. We havent even used Riske to his fullest yet, and he holds a sub 4 ERA for his career.

Salomon Torres: signed 2-year deal worth 2.6M thru 2006 season on 11/10/04- he receives a 200K signing bonus- + salaries of 1M in 2005 and 1.4M in 2006- + the value of his 2006 salary can escalate based on Games finished in 2005: 25K for 30GF, 35K for 35GF, 45K for 40GF, 55K for 45GF, 65K for 50GF and 75K for 55GF- + 2006 salary rose to 1.425M with 30GF in 2005- + later signed 2-year EXTENSION thru 2008 season worth 6.5M on 4/1/06- + he receives a 400K signing bonus and salaries of 2.6M in 2007 and 3.2M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 3.75M or a 300K buyout- + he can earn 900K in performance bonuses over the life of the extension- + he has limited NO-TRADE clause in 2007, 2008 and 2009

That looks like a pretty brutal contract for a guy with a 4.80 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and a .298 BAA in 50.6 IP

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
That looks like a pretty brutal contract for a guy with a 4.80 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and a .298 BAA in 50.6 IP

Exactly why we are better off with what we have. I dont want to give up talent for a downgrade.