Hermanson could be back by the end of the month...

bjm676

Hermanson making strides

CHICAGO -- If Dustin Hermanson was looking for a sign stemming from his first Minor League rehab assignment Wednesday night, then the results probably could be classified as a little cloudy in regard to his future forecast.

Hermanson's scheduled appearance during Triple-A Charlotte's game against Norfolk was rained out, leaving his comeback attempt stalled for another day. According to White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider, Hermanson was set up to pitch one inning on July 5, 7 and 9, for the Knights, followed by three days of rest for the All-Star break.

"Then, when he comes back from the All-Star break, he's one of their bullpen guys just like he would be here," said Schneider of Hermanson. "Nothing premade, just be ready all the time."

The right-handed hurler, who was arguably one of the White Sox Most Valuable Players in the 2005 World Series championship season with his career-high 34 saves, has not pitched in a regular-season contest or Major League playoff game since throwing one-third of an inning during Game 3 of the World Series against Houston. It was Hermanson's only postseason appearance, as he battled severe back issues for most of the season's second half.

Those problems rose up again for Hermanson during Spring Training, particularly when he pitched in an actual Cactus League contest, sending him back to the disabled list. Hermanson's road back to the Majors briefly was derailed by a strained muscle in his side, but if things go well, Hermanson could be in play for the White Sox by the end of the month, almost serving as a non-waiver trade pickup without really losing a player.

Schneider stopped short of calling Hermanson's recovery miraculous, because it has been ongoing since Spring Training. He also wouldn't classify Hermanson's recovery after he actually pitches, as a crucial moment to gauge his overall health.

"His back doesn't have a time schedule," Schneider said. "If he does good, he does good. We'll get as much out of him as we can, and listen to what he has to say.

"And we'll find out how he does with another uniform and with somebody trying to get a hit off of him, and he's trying to get the guy out. He has his ups and downs and he will continue to have his ups and downs, but it's fine.

"He's made strides. That's about it," Schneider added. "He's done good. He's proven that it's time to let your child go."

I'll believe his back can take it when I've seen him in the majors getting outs for a month.

But seriously, even when is back was killing him last year and he was being hit hard, he was still giving up less runs than Cliffy now.

If Hermanson does end up comming back this season and is thrust into the pen after a couple rehab appearances he will end up losing atleast 1 game for the Sox. Ozzie is going to use him in some big situations just like he has with Cliff and Dustin is going to get absolutely smoked. He had a great year and he played a large part in the success of the team but I just hope he stays away from the Sox this season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
Just say no to Hermanson. We're gonna be in a dogfight with the Tigers for the central. We can't afford to have Politte blowing any more games for us.

If Hermanson can throw, why not give him a shot? If he can't throw, he can't throw. His competition is a guy with an ERA nearly 10

Give Hermanson two appearances in the majors relatively early(6-7th inning) to prove if he has anything. If he does, put him in a more stressful situation, and see if he can hang. If he can't hang, he gawn, simple as that.

I think the pen will be fine regardless, but the Sox could sure as hell use an arm or two to just flat out eat some innings. If Hermanson can handle it, by all means, let him. I don't think he can, but with a shot in his back before every game, he might be able to hang this year, and then hang it up next year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
I don't want to see either of them out there. Kenny will make a move soon.

We'll see. I mean unless we're getting a stud back in return, is it really worth it to make a trade for someone that will be the 6th guy out of the pen and probably won't be needed very much? I really don't expect anything out of Dustin(been saying that all year) but if he says he can go, I think you have to at least give him a shot because it's not like Politte is going to be lights out this season.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)
We'll see. I mean unless we're getting a stud back in return, is it really worth it to make a trade for someone that will be the 6th guy out of the pen and probably won't be needed very much? I really don't expect anything out of Dustin(been saying that all year) but if he says he can go, I think you have to at least give him a shot because it's not like Politte is going to be lights out this season.

I'd feel a lot better if we had one more righty in there. I have no faith in Polite or Hermanson. I'd love to be proven wrong.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)

All Politte needs is confidence!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
If Hermanson does end up comming back this season and is thrust into the pen after a couple rehab appearances he will end up losing atleast 1 game for the Sox. Ozzie is going to use him in some big situations just like he has with Cliff and Dustin is going to get absolutely smoked. He had a great year and he played a large part in the success of the team but I just hope he stays away from the Sox this season.

:P

Ozzie use someone in a clutch situation right away, that's unpossible :bang

Maybe a team like Cincinatti who is desperate for someone with closer's experience could have a small interest in Hermanson or even Politte.

If you could give up either and get someone like Ryan Wagner or Chris Denforia, I would be very happy with that.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:06 AM)
I do believe Riske has an ERA of just over 1 since joining us...

ph_228594.jpg

Yup, I've got a 1.04 ERA with the Sox. Hi.

My ERA is also .87 in the last month.

God Bless KW and Lopez for making this happen, Riske even though he looks like a hobo is SOOOO good, hes only 28 after this year provided he stays healthy i hope we sign him long term.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
God Bless KW and Lopez for making this happen, Riske even though he looks like a hobo is SOOOO good, hes only 28 after this year provided he stays healthy i hope we sign him long term.

Lopez has a 4.26 ERA in 9 appearances so far for the Red Sox. I think it's pretty safe to say who won that deal, and hopefully KW keeps pulling many more of em. :D

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
Maybe a team like Cincinatti who is desperate for someone with closer's experience could have a small

interest in Hermanson or even Politte.

If you could give up either and get someone like Ryan Wagner or Chris Denforia, I would be very happy with that.

DBA your saying names that I salivate at; Ryan Wagner and/or Chris Denforia would look great on the southside. Maybe the Reds would be willing to deal them, after all they did deliver us Konerko after they traded Jeff Shaw to the dodgers to recieve him. The Reds need to make an apperance in the Post Season, they have yet to deliver since building the Great American Ball Park in '03 and people in Cincinnati are getting anxious. They desperatly need pitching to get there, mainly BP help. If Bronson Arroyo could move to the NL again and be considered an "ace" i could only imagine what Hermanson/Politte/Redding/Montero(lol) could be considered in the NL.

Ryan Wagners problem from what I've read is two fold. He doesn't constantly repeat his mechancis and he falls in love with his + slider instead of getting ahead of hitters. So naturally hitters just lay off it and sit on his fastball. Both of these things are problems im sure Coop could address and fix in a very short time. Also he throws across his body and if I'm not mistaken hes had arm promblems in the past, but then again so has Matt Thornton :)

Chris Denorfia on the other hand is blocked, hes been tearing up AAA for a while now, its ridiculous that hes not with the big club, but then again all the more for the taking?

If Kenny can spin Joe Borchard, Javier Lopez, Jeff Bajenaru & Damaso Marte into Matt Thornton, David Riske, Alex Cintron & Rob Mackowiak, then Kenny can obviously turn lead into gold. I hope we can get the mentioned names.

Bottom Line is that Kenny is an alchemist and that GM of the year award is as good as his.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
I'd feel a lot better if we had one more righty in there. I have no faith in Polite or Hermanson. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I won't believe in Hermanson until he proves he can pitch with no back woes. But, if he can, I'd far prefer him over Politte at this point. Dustin has the mental makeup to battle. Politte doesn't seem to have it.

Of course I'd be thrilled to have both Politte and Hermanson if they pitched like last year. I hold out no hope for that, however.