ST Poll: Who was the MVP of the first-half?

SnB

Listen. Dye has had an MVP type caliber season for the MLB IMO. My pick was Thome, because I sincerely believe that he has changed the way this team hits. Paulie, Dye, Crede, AJ, all of them have benefitted greatly from his addition, and I believe that is serious value to this team.

SEASON STATS:

NAME G AB R 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS

Jermaine Dye 78 280 56 15 1 25 68 .318 .397 .646 1.043

Jim Thome 82 289 69 12 0 30 77 .298 .414 .651 1.065

JT JD JD JT JT JD JT JT JT JD: 3 | JT: 6

w/ RISP

NAME AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS

Jermaine Dye 69 25 2 0 9 48 .362 .449 .783 1.232

Jim Thome 66 25 3 0 9 46 .379 .500 .833 1.333

NA JT NA NA JD JT JT JT JT JD: 1 | JT: 5 | NA: 3

w/ RISP & 2 OUT

Jermaine Dye 34 13 0 0 5 23 .382 .523 .824 1.347

Jim Thome 27 8 0 0 2 10 .296 .387 .519 .906

JD NA NA JD JD JD JD JD JD JD: 7 | JT: 0 | NA: 2

CLOSE AND LATE

Jermaine Dye 30 8 2 0 2 9 .267 .353 .533 .886

Jim Thome 38 7 2 0 3 7 .184 .340 .474 .814

JD NA NA JT JD JD JD JD JD JD: 6 | JT: 1 | NA: 2

They're both having amazing seasons and both have been incredibly clutch, their RISP numbers are eerily similar. Thome kept the Sox alive for the first month or so of the season and JD has been carrying the team of late and has been the most ridiculously clutch player on the team (outside of Pablo). You really can't go wrong with either one.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
now, I love Jermaine Dye, but I don't see him having this good a season without Jim Thome in the lineup.

That's why I voted for Thome, not only the team's MVP, but the league MVP as well in the first half.

Jim Thome 1st Half MVP

I voted for JD, although for me it was a tossup between him and Thome. No single player has changed the makeup of this team like Jim Thome has, but my gut just says Dye, the other bookend of the best 3-4-5 in baseball.

It's hard to argue against any of those four guys, but A.J. has also had a big half for us. He is always in the right place doing the right thing at the right time, like sliding high into second to break up a double play ball by forcing an errant throw, a play which meant the game. His average is up this year, and while he isn't popping them out of the park like Thome or Dye, he consistently moves the line. His greatest assets are his intangibles, which stats don't really measure.

I think that JD has a better chance of winning AL MVP simply because he plays the field. IMO it's why Ortiz didn't win over A-Rod last year, and IMO should have.

What I love about this team is how difficult a decision this is.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
I voted for JD, although for me it was a tossup between him and Thome. No single player has changed the makeup of this team like Jim Thome has, but my gut just says Dye, the other bookend of the best 3-4-5 in baseball.

It's hard to argue against any of those four guys, but A.J. has also had a big half for us. He is always in the right place doing the right thing at the right time, like sliding high into second to break up a double play ball by forcing an errant throw, a play which meant the game. His average is up this year, and while he isn't popping them out of the park like Thome or Dye, he consistently moves the line. His greatest assets are his intangibles, which stats don't really measure.

I think that JD has a better chance of winning AL MVP simply because he plays the field. IMO it's why Ortiz didn't win over A-Rod last year, and IMO should have.

What I love about this team is how difficult a decision this is.

I wish AJ were fast because he's absolutely money with nobody on base or leading off an inning. We'd be able to replace old worthless out in LF if AJ could run.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
now, I love Jermaine Dye, but I don't see him having this good a season without Jim Thome in the lineup.

this is my reasoning also. initially i would want to say dye, but i don't know if dye would be having the year he is without thome in the lineup.