Reds/Nationals trade

fathom

ESPN is reporting that the Reds trade A. Kearns, F. Lopez, and R. Wagner to the Nationals for 5 players, including Royce Clayton, Majewski, and a few others. What in the hell are the Reds thinking? Lopez is one of the more productive SS in the National League.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap. So this is what Bowden is like when he doesn't drink... actually smart.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
Who are the "Others"?

Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner have been traded from the Reds to the Nationals for the Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris and Daryl Thompson.

Ok, that sure sounds a lot to me like the Reds throwing in the towel for this season. They get 1 reliever back, and they get the guys BA ranked as the Nats' 8 and 10 prospects last offseason.

BA on the Nats last November

BA on them in 04

Nats top 10 in 04:

5. Brendan Harris, inf

6. Bill Bray, lhp

7. Daryl Thompson, rhp

Nats in 05:

8. Bill Bray, lhp

10. Daryl Thompson, rhp

Edited by Balta1701

Nationals Get:

ph_400290.jpgph_150479.jpgph_429842.jpg

OF Austin Kearns: .274 AVG, 16 HR, ,50 RBI, 7 SB

SS Felipe Lopez: .268 AVG, 9 HR, 30 RBI, 23 SB

P Ryan Wagner: 0-0 0.00 ERA, 0 IP

Reds Get:

ph_400008.jpgph_435538.jpgph_112381.jpgph_430593.jpg257328.jpg

RP Gary Majewski: 3-2 3.58 ERA, 34 K, 55.1 IP

RP Bill Bray: 1-1 3.91 ERA, 16 K, 23.0 IP

SS Royce Clayton: .269 AVG, 0 HR, 27 RBI, 8 SB

IF Brendan Harris: .250 AVG, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 0 SB

RHP Daryl Thompson: ???

- Just announced.. Dont know what the Reds are thinking?

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
- Just announced.. Dont know what the Reds are thinking?

Either they're thinking that 1 relief pitcher will make all the difference for them this season, or this is a white flag trade. What's Majewski's contract status for the future?

logo_cin_79x76.jpgpr_header.gif

07/13/2006 3:35 PM ET

Reds get Majewski, Bray, Clayton, Harris, Thompson from Nationals

Send Kearns, Lopez, Wagner to Washington in eight-player deal

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired from the Washington Nationals RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray, SS Royce Clayton, IF Brendan Harris and RHP Daryl Thompson in exchange for OF Austin Kearns, SS Felipe Lopez and RHP Ryan Wagner.

[Press Release]

Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner have been traded from the Reds to the Nationals for the Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Royce Clayton, Brendan Harris and Daryl Thompson.

OK, we take back every bad thing we've ever said about Jim Bowden. This looks like a complete and total steal for the Nationals. Kearns will probably head to center for now until Jose Guillen or Alfonso Soriano is trade. Lopez becomes the shortstop. Wagner figures to head to Triple-A. Jul. 13 - 3:44 pm et

Well... Bray and Majewaodifjslkgjalk are both pretty decent relievers and both are young...

Lopez is a real good bat... but has pretty terrible defense... Royce would probably be a defensive upgrade...

definitely looks like a dumb move in the long term... but the defense and pitching help might be just enough to get them past the cards this year... :huh

If the Reds have something else long-term at Shortstop, this trade might make sense for them a few years down the road, as they could wind up with some decent bullpen talent out of it, and that's one area they've been sorely lacking, as we found out. But it's hard for me to see how this won't hurt them this year, especially with the loss of Kearns.

Holy god is this a robbery.

And adding Ryan Wagner to the deal is icing on the cake.

Whether they intended to or not, this makes the Reds the 4th best team in that division and huge huge sellers in this market. This has white flag written all over it and I just can't understand what they were hoping to achieve by this.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I have a question. I've heard a lot on this board about Ryan Wagner and how great he is. Why, exactly, was he not in the Reds' bullpen? Is he still just a prospect with a high ceiling? Or was he already in the majors and fell out of favor with the management?

He was a first round draft pick a few years back. He's got good stuff and his first year in the majors he was very, very good. After that though, he just struggled for whatever reason. I think a lot of people believe with his stuff, he might just need a change of scenery considering he's still pretty young.

Edited by Rowand44

Redszone says...

This is a joke right?

Hey it's July 13th, not April 1st. But you got me anyways. very funny. ha, ha, ha.

If this trade is real I feel sick.

Nope, this seems all too real, just confirmed on ESPN news. Early reaction: Krivsky has lost his freaking mind.

oy vey.... this is an awful deal for the Reds, even though I have a man-crush on Bill Bray

And of course...

My God, we just got scerwed by Jim Bowden.

:lol:

Well, that's up to page 2, now for some reason I can't access the page. But I think that's a pretty fair sampling. :D Wow, a season with Tony Womack and Royce Clayton, with Rich Aurilia on the bench the whole time. Have they cornered the market on ancient journeyman infielders or what? 'I wonder if SD could be persuaded to take Adam Dunn for Eric Young...'

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Well, that's up to page 2, now for some reason I can't access the page. But I think that's a pretty fair sampling. :D Wow, a season with Tony Womack and Royce Clayton, with Rich Aurilia on the bench the whole time. Have they cornered the market on ancient journeyman infielders or what? 'I wonder if SD could be persuaded to take Adam Dunn for Eric Young...'

Maybe they're trying to attract Dusty Baker to manage them. Give that man 7 second baseman and he'll be unstoppable.