White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

If we did sign Soriano long-term, would people think that was worth giving up McCarthy?

I'm torn. Soriano is a great player (and we could technically slide him over to 2B after this season and not pick up Iguchi's option; a LF is always easier to find than a 2B) but McCarthy might be our 3rd or 4th best starter now, and perhaps our best 2 years from now.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing fishy about this is that Ken Rosenthal hasn't said anything about this yet.

He was on the pregame show for FOX Saturday afternoon baseball. He said that Det and the Sox are the most likely teams to get Soriano.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
you could be right, Rauch pitched in the 9th with a 6 run lead yesterday after pitching the day before. That seems to me like a scout audition (I know there were Cardinal scouts in the stands)

Oh come on, he was joking.

This looks like either a smoke screen to drive up the price on the market for Detroit, or we are flipping him somewhere else where he is needed. I really think that we could get some top notch pitching for Soriano, maybe even switch rentals with the A's and take Zito.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
If we did sign Soriano long-term, would people think that was worth giving up McCarthy?

No, and if I come home from work tonight and see this happened, I'm going to have to punch something... very hard.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Soriano and Uribe for A-Rod??????????

If we're giving up McCarthy, that's one of about 2 guys in baseball I'd say we could deal with getting back. The other in fact I believe wears Uribe's number.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
3 things.

1. Do we have the money to sign Soriano to a long term deal?

2. Would Ozzie actually consider putting Pods in center over BA?

3. If Pods does stay and play center, would Pods, BA and Mack all platoon and play center?

I'm just answering 1. Absolutely.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)

I'm torn. Soriano is a great player (and we could technically slide him over to 2B after this season and not pick up Iguchi's option; a LF is always easier to find than a 2B) but McCarthy might be our 3rd or 4th best starter now, and perhaps our best 2 years from now.

If the only thing we got was Soriano...absolutely fishing not.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:44 PM)
I would love to have Soriano on the White Sox. He's a great hitter, and will get better in the field. I don't think it would be wise to trade McCarthy for him for 2 months of his services. If KW ships McCarthy out for Soriano, either Soriano signs an extension or KW is going to ship him elsewhere, and keep him away from his closest rivals. McDougal has a lot of potential, and would be a decent piece in the pen if he can stay healthy. If BMac is shipped out, it wouldn't surprise me if next spring the White Sox try Cotts or Thornton as a starter. Hopefully what I heard was wrong or has changed and the SI guy is correct when he says Broadway and Fields. I much rather have KW move those 2 than McCarthy.

I REALLY REALLY hope bmac is just a damn rumor because we need him. We move a starter now or in the offseason and sign Crede to a long term contract.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Ding. Ding. Ding.

I always liked you, Rock.

Even if the White Sox aquire Soriano, I would imagine he would not even board the plane to Chicago before being moved elsewhere.

He just doesnt seem to fit in KW's plans, nor the attitude of this team. it doesnt make sense coming from someone who stocks up on pitching, and defense.

This is either a smoke screen which was leaked by someone on KW's payroll, or we are flipping him to another division.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Running on the field naked was hot...until you recommended the Cubs hat! :P

Well I sure don't want the media reporting "Sox fan runs naked on the field...".

I'm very concerned with moving Brandon McCarthy....He's a big part of our current club, and an even bigger part of the future.

Soriano is a major upgrade offensively, and that would be exciting, but at what expense ? McCarthy looks to be a top end of the rotation starter for the next several seasons.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Well I sure don't want the media reporting "Sox fan runs naked on the field...".

Ah...but it would be 'Hot Sox fan runs on field naked'...instead of 'ugly Cub fan'

Anyway, I'm down with Soriano...hoping B-Mac is somehow not part of it. His bat at the top of the order would be great.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
He just doesnt seem to fit in KW's plans, nor the attitude of this team. it doesnt make sense coming from someone who stocks up on pitching, and defense.

This is either a smoke screen which was leaked by someone on KW's payroll, or we are flipping him to another division.

Soriano is supposed to be a good clubhouse guy. He learned a lot coming up with the Yankees and playing with Jeter. Torre is as professional as they come, and most players fall in line when they go there.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
I think it's safe to say that Uncle Jer is not going to pay PayRod's salary.

keep in mind that the texas rangers owe 10 mil on each year of arods contract.

so arod for 15 mil is more financially possible

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
keep in mind that the texas rangers owe 10 mil on each year of arods contract.

so arod for 15 mil is more financially possible

Does all that transfer when a trade is made?