MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
Buster Onley was on the Dan Patrick show. He thinks that the Mike McDougal trade will do it for KW. That KW believes that his team is good enough. He thinks that the Twins might get Soriano, but they might back off because they can win without him.

Fudge

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
For real.

Can't wait to hear Hawk tonight say how it would have been stupid to make any moves as this team will be unstoppable once they get it going.

Yeah, once they hit that magical point in the schedule where everything starts to click. That should be any day now. Any day...

::tumbleweed::

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
You don't trade three major league ready, top flight talents for Andruw Jones. I have full confidence that if Jones is acquired, only one at the most of these three will be included.

Well. I wouldnt say top flight. Coco is pretty good, Lester is the true prize in the offer. Still not a good trade though.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...sox_update.html

Nothing major going on in Beantown.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well. I wouldnt say top flight. Coco is pretty good, Lester is the true prize in the offer. Still not a good trade though.

Crisp has been hurt, I'm not going to judge him entirely after less than 300 at-bats.

Lester is incredible, I wouldn't trade him for Jones straight up considering you already have Crisp patrolling centerfield.

and Hansen has shown flashes of brilliance this season.

You just don't make that trade, and Theo won't.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...sox_update.html

Nothing major going on in Beantown.

Crisp has been hurt, I'm not going to judge him entirely after less than 300 at-bats.

Lester is incredible, I wouldn't trade him for Jones straight up considering you already have Crisp patrolling centerfield.

and Hansen has shown flashes of brilliance this season.

You just don't make that trade, and Theo won't.

You, my friend, are blinded by the Red Sox nation.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Let's not get carried away. Lester is good, he's going to be a good pitcher, possibly a stud. He's not incredible though.

Now a pitcher like Liriano.... he is incredible.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
You, my friend, are blinded by the Red Sox nation.

Yeah, hes a little overboard on that. Andrew Jones is a top flight player, and a stud. If you want to win that division, Lester for A Jones would put you right over the top.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
For real.

Can't wait to hear Hawk tonight say how it would have been stupid to make any moves as this team will be unstoppable once they get it going.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, once they hit that magical point in the schedule where everything starts to click. That should be any day now. Any day...

::tumbleweed::

What magical trade are you waiting for?

It's not out there. There are no line changes for entire starting rotations.

Our best chance isn't making some desperate move at the deadline. It's getting the starting 5 to pitch to their career norms, or rather their full potential.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Ace Adams, my dads best friend and Lester's manager throughout the Red Sox minor league system has talked Lester up to me for years. I just can't support him being moved, even if at this point in time he's been better than he'll be for the rest of year.

Yeah, my cousins best friends fathers former dog owners uncle saw Andruw Jones play once, and he thinks that you are wearing blinders. LOL

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
Yeah, my cousins best friends fathers former dog owners uncle saw Andruw Jones play once, and he thinks that you are wearing blinders. LOL

:lol:

Jones is just in a league of his own. One of the best defensive CF in the game (possibly in the history of baseball when he retires) and his offensive production is just unconsious. He's been doing it since he was a 19 year old kid in a World Series game. He can carry a team just ask Chipper Jones. He is worth that asking price. Would I have made the deal? No, but to say he isn't worth those kind of players is just incorrect. I'm not gonna talk him to death though cause his talent speaks for himself.

From the ESPN trade chat....

MLB TRADE UPDATE FROM JAYSON STARK

The A's have been told they don't have the bullets to land Soriano. Marlins-Tigers-Washington 3-way looks like it's on life support. Another team was told by Bowden he has two deals he can do right now on Soriano _ one with an NL team (Astros?), one with an AL team (Twins?). And on Tejada, I was told there's only a 5 percent chance of that deal going down now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
What magical trade are you waiting for?

It's not out there. There are no line changes for entire starting rotations.

Our best chance isn't making some desperate move at the deadline. It's getting the starting 5 to pitch to their career norms, or rather their full potential.

Why not at least get a 4th OFer? Someone that can come into a game for Anderson or Pods and play good defense, thus preventing more runs from scoring. As small of a move as that is, it would still go a long way to helping us.

I'd be satisfied with that (Clark, hopefully). And I'd be ecstatic if we dumped Garcia/Vazquez for another starter, even if that happens to be McCarthy.

Detroit Tigers

Acquired 1B Sean Casey from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for RHP Brian Rogers; Optioned the contract of 1B Chris Shelton to Triple-A Toledo.

I don't get this one... especially the second part of it. Shelton fell off the face of the earth in June but rebounded with a .289 avg. in July. Not the numbers he was putting up early but certainly survivable on most clubs. I guess it is not so much that they wanted to add a bat but that the guy was just sent down. I thought he was a bigger part of this club than that. Guess not.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
I don't get this one... especially the second part of it. Shelton fell off the face of the earth in June but rebounded with a .289 avg. in July. Not the numbers he was putting up early but certainly survivable on most clubs. I guess it is not so much that they wanted to add a bat but that the guy was just sent down. I thought he was a bigger part of this club than that. Guess not.

Just goes to show the "what have you done for me lately" aspect of professional sports. Tis a shame.