New Idea for leadoff hitter next year

maggsmaggs

Ryan Sweeney. Let him play RF, while moving JD to left. He is a good OBP guy with low strikeout numbers. He obviously won't steal many bases, but he'll be just as effective a leadoff hitter as Pods, with better fielding and hitting. This way, you don't ask Ryan to hit home runs right away, but be patient and hit the gaps. I really think it would be a good way to introduce him to league. One could argue, however, being a leadoff hitter puts too much pressure on him. What do you guys think, am I off my rocker (:))? I don't see many alternatives in FA or via trades.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with the way Ozzie manages and if he is our manager we got to get a new speed guy to replace Pods. Carl Crawford is the perfect fit, the only question is whether we'll be able to make a deal that the Drays would have interest in.

I think we could use one of our starters to get prospects, than move some of those prospects and some of our own (not named Bmac) to land Crawford. Following that move Pods and maybe someone else for a prospect that could maybe help out our pen or be a 6th starter option.

With the freed up salary, maybe make one other move and who knows maybe Kenny goes out and moves two starters with one bringing back prospects and the other bringing back another starter.

I think Ryan Sweeney in the big leagues next year is still too early for him. I want him to have another full year in AAA before I talk about calling him up.

Also, his OBP is still lower than what I'd think I'd want from a leadoff hitter that doesn't provide a ton of speed. .342 and .357 and .355 last 3 years. But in 2 years, I could see it happening, depending on his development next year.

Josh Fields, on the other hand, has an OBP approaching .400 this season. Has 18 more walks thus far this season than Sweeney, by my count. My only worry is that he'd come up and pull an Anderson, several people have said his swing is too long already this season. A lot more strikeouts too.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Ryan Sweeney. Let him play RF, while moving JD to left. He is a good OBP guy with low strikeout numbers. He obviously won't steal many bases, but he'll be just as effective a leadoff hitter as Pods, with better fielding and hitting. This way, you don't ask Ryan to hit home runs right away, but be patient and hit the gaps. I really think it would be a good way to introduce him to league. One could argue, however, being a leadoff hitter puts too much pressure on him. What do you guys think, am I off my rocker (:))? I don't see many alternatives in FA or via trades.

Have you been hanging out with Freddy Garcia lately? lol

I really would like that but Sweeney is still a year away. Does anybody know how many yrs are left on pods contract.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Have you been hanging out with Freddy Garcia lately? lol

I really would like that but Sweeney is still a year away. Does anybody know how many yrs are left on pods contract.

Podsednik is under our control for several more years, at least through the end of 08 IIRC.

QUOTE(ChiSoxLifer @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
I think it's a decent idea as the Indians use Grady Sizemore as a leadoff hitter and he's not the protypical leadoff man. However, do you want to put that much pressure on a rookie on a contending team?

If it came down to Podsednik and Fields as my 2 leadoff options next season, I don't think I'd mind seeing Fields there. I think I would mind seeing Sweeney there right now, as Fields' numbers fit that spot a little better, if his numbers translate. Fields also has quite a few more steals than Sweeney (19/24 for Josh, 5/11 for Ryan this season).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Just a hunch, but I will be shocked in Pods is with the Sox in 07....

I'm really hoping we can find a team that needs a veteran starting pitcher and an outfielder this offseason. The Cardinals actually do come to my mind really quickly.

I think the best position to look for a new leadoff hitter is SS. Sure Uribe is fun to watch and all and during his streaks he can carry a team. But it would be nice to have his bat helping more often because this season most of it he has been a hole in our lineup and while still good his defensive hasnt been as good.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
I think the best position to look for a new leadoff hitter is SS. Sure Uribe is fun to watch and all and during his streaks he can carry a team. But it would be nice to have his bat helping more often because this season most of it he has been a hole in our lineup and while still good his defensive hasnt been as good.

OK, let's brainstorm then, what potential names are there playing SS right now who could be leadoff hitters for the right team?

Eckstein - SS - under contract for 1 more year IIRC

Renteria - Braves - huge contract with Boston paying 1/2 of it for the Braves, was terrible in the AL

Cabrera - Angels - huge contract, good numbers, but the Halos are very reluctant to make trades

Hanley Ramirez - Florida - no reason I can think of why they'd give him up

Izturis - Cubs - very low OBP

Anyone got any others?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
You then go out and get a long man/sixth starter to take the spot of Mac, bring up Stewart, and sign a good defensive 4th outfielder....

If Ozzie actually plays Anderson every day like he should, this is seriously not a concern. Mack can spot you in CF a couple times a month if you really need it, and he's quite good on the corners. He just should not be a platoon CF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
If it came down to Podsednik and Fields as my 2 leadoff options next season, I don't think I'd mind seeing Fields there. I think I would mind seeing Sweeney there right now, as Fields' numbers fit that spot a little better, if his numbers translate. Fields also has quite a few more steals than Sweeney (19/24 for Josh, 5/11 for Ryan this season).

Having Fields lead off would be pretty freakin ugly imo. If he plays next season, I'd expect him to have an obp of about .330 with at least 180 k's. Josh will hit for some power right away if he gets up here, but I expect himt to have a rougher start than BA did, I really do.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Having Fields lead off would be pretty freakin ugly imo. If he plays next season, I'd expect him to have an obp of about .330 with at least 180 k's. Josh will hit for some power right away if he gets up here, but I expect himt to have a rougher start than BA did, I really do.

Aside from the strikeouts, that's really not that much worse than Podsednik. I see where you're coming from on the K's though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
OK, let's brainstorm then, what potential names are there playing SS right now who could be leadoff hitters for the right team?

Renteria - Braves - huge contract with Boston paying 1/2 of it for the Braves, was terrible in the AL

Cabrera - Angels - huge contract, good numbers, but the Halos are very reluctant to make trades

Anyone got any others?

Julio Lugo will be a free agent this winter, and would make a nice lead off guy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)

Ya, Fields in the leadoff spot would equal a disaster.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)

Anyone got any others?

He isnt having a great year but Jimmy Rollins would be more ideal leading off than Juan uribe would.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
I think with the way Ozzie manages and if he is our manager we got to get a new speed guy to replace Pods. Carl Crawford is the perfect fit, the only question is whether we'll be able to make a deal that the Drays would have interest in.

I think we could use one of our starters to get prospects, than move some of those prospects and some of our own (not named Bmac) to land Crawford. Following that move Pods and maybe someone else for a prospect that could maybe help out our pen or be a 6th starter option.

With the freed up salary, maybe make one other move and who knows maybe Kenny goes out and moves two starters with one bringing back prospects and the other bringing back another starter.

Agreed, although I hope we don't act stupid and put speed as a priority for the leadoff man moreso than patience and OBP. I don't give a damn about speed, I want a guy that gets on base a lot leading off, even if he can't steal 50 bases.

i say we keep pods. He has been alrihgt this year and if he stays healthy then he is a solid leadoff hitter. I would like to see if we could move someone to shortstop and get a regular shortstop instead of swithcing between two decent ones

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
He isnt having a great year but Jimmy Rollins would be more ideal leading off than Juan uribe would.

Rollins would fall into the KW mode of "buying low", with his down yr. If his defense was solid and above avg, [he does have low errors] his speed and offense [consistent avg, OBP, as well as XBH] would bring a nice lift to the sox that Uribe's bat doesn't.

Rollins could also be a #2 hitter, moving Iguchi down. Pods could also stick around while Sweeney or Fields start 2007 in AAA. Though if the Sox think one of those could start the yr in LF, Pods could be dealt. Depends on how ready the sox think Ryan or Josh are for the bigs.

Though trading for Rollins might take dealing Fields--which could happen if the sox sign Crede to a 3, 4 yr deal which I would do first thing in the offseason.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Rollins would fall into the KW mode of "buying low", with his down yr. If his defense was solid and above avg, [he does have low errors] his speed and offense [consistent avg, OBP, as well as XBH] would bring a nice lift to the sox that Uribe's bat doesn't.

Rollins could also be a #2 hitter, moving Iguchi down. Pods could also stick around while Sweeney or Fields start 2007 in AAA. Though if the Sox think one of those could start the yr in LF, Pods could be dealt. Depends on how ready the sox think Ryan or Josh are for the bigs.

Though trading for Rollins might take dealing Fields--which could happen if the sox sign Crede to a 3, 4 yr deal which I would do first thing in the offseason.

Looking at the numbers, I'm not sure Rollins makes a decent leadoff hitter at all, his OBP is even lower than Podsednik's in almost every year. A #2 hitter? Maybe, but his numbers still seem on the low end even for that. It would add some extra speed, but as an upgrade over Uribe it's not a huge one IMO. The real key problem to my eyes is that he signed a 5 year, $40 million deal last year, which is backloaded somewhat, so I really don't think he'd be worth the money he's paid.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
Looking at the numbers, I'm not sure Rollins makes a decent leadoff hitter at all, his OBP is even lower than Podsednik's in almost every year. A #2 hitter? Maybe, but his numbers still seem on the low end even for that. It would add some extra speed, but as an upgrade over Uribe it's not a huge one IMO. The real key problem to my eyes is that he signed a 5 year, $40 million deal last year, which is backloaded somewhat, so I really don't think he'd be worth the money he's paid.

Pods isn't the long term answer in LF. He may not even be with the sox in 07. Yet the sox are going to be in playoff contention and will need a leadoff hitter. No rookie will step in and give the sox a .280 vg. and .340 OBP [which is minimum]. So a leadoff hitter will have to come from somewhere. SS and LF are the two most likely spots, with both Pods and Uribe being called out by Ozzie and sox fans. Few guys in LF seem to fit at leadoff.

Would Sweeney/ Fields and Rollins be better than Pods and Uribe, taking into everything into account, such as defense, avg, OBP and power, factoring salaries as well? Could be.