Joe Crede

VAfan

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
His only competition for the Gold Glove this year is Mike Lowell, so Crede is basically sitting on a 50/50 chance of winning one this season.

It's funny, but if he wins the GG this year, it will be more because of what he's doing on offense than it is defense. Crede had a better defensive last season, in my opinion. Our 3 best all-around players this year have been Dye, Crede, and Konerko.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Mr. Perfect will do.

You know I'm calling you that or Curt the reason of the season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
It's funny, but if he wins the GG this year, it will be more because of what he's doing on offense than it is defense. Crede had a better defensive last season, in my opinion. Our 3 best all-around players this year have been Dye, Crede, and Konerko.

I'd be very happy with that.

And just like that, we've hijacked another thread and brought it to wrestling.

Crede still has a pretty low OBP (.333), so his IsoD (OBP - AVG) is pretty terrible. But, he's driving in runs, hitting homers, and has a decent average, so hes perfect for the bottom of the order, where he needs to drive in the high OBP guys above him (Dye, Thome, Konerko). He's a perfect fit for this team, but in order to become one of the best 3Bs in the league, he needs to walk more. But, he is definately up there.

Edited by TitoMB345

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
You don't think Boras clients have a tendency to have career years right before they sign a contract?

The notion that players perform better because it's a contract year, especially in a sport like baseball where there is so much data freely available, is misguided at best.

There is some anecdotal evidence that players in their contract years play better, but this has more to do with baseball's reserve clause which put's players at free agency following their 6th year of play (typically age 28-31 seasons)

And I don't see how this is even an argument with Crede considering free agency isn't until after the 2008 season. By your reasoning, he'll be putting up 50HR 150RBI seasons by then.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
The notion that players perform better because it's a contract year, especially in a sport like baseball where there is so much data freely available, is misguided at best.

There is some anecdotal evidence that players in their contract years play better, but this has more to do with baseball's reserve clause which put's players at free agency following their 6th year of play (typically age 28-31 seasons)

And I don't see how this is even an argument with Crede considering free agency isn't until after the 2008 season. By your reasoning, he'll be putting up 50HR 150RBI seasons by then.

I suppose we can suffer through that kind of season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)

His defense was MUCH better last year. It's good this year, but its nowhere near the caliber it was last year.

I think we still have Crede two more years. SO with that I have no problem letting Joe prove this isn't a fluke year and than if he does good midway or at the end of next year (in the off-season) sit down and hammer out a deal.

Sure we could pay more, but I'd take my chances on that cause I'd rather make sure he keeps things up for more than just one year. I think he's long had the talent to do what he's doing, but plenty of guys blow up for a year and do things right and than get back into there bad habits after that.

For some reason, the board isn't letting me quote your post, Gene.

But anyway, by contract year, I meant in a sense like last year was Garland's contract year. He wasn't going into free agency, but by pitching so well, he got an extension. By Crede having such an amazing year, he will probably get locked up for a few years in the offseason. Who knows if he'll revert back to his norm, like Beltre or any of the other cases of a guy getting a multi-year deal.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
I'm sorry, but there is absolutly no way Crede belongs in front of Kong, Dye or, Thome, even if you do factor in defense. My list:

Not trying to start an argument, but in what way has Konerko outperformed Crede this year? Paul has a bunch more walks, which leads to a higher OBP, but other than that the numbers are surprisingly similar.

Sox stats

Conveniently they are the top two on the page.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
For some reason, the board isn't letting me quote your post, Gene.

But anyway, by contract year, I meant in a sense like last year was Garland's contract year. He wasn't going into free agency, but by pitching so well, he got an extension.

Well then, why single out Boras clients?

It's baseball's reserve clause, arbitration process, and GM's that hand out foolish contracts that you have a problem with. Offhand, I'm having trouble coming up with many foolish contracts handed out before a player reaches free-agency, specifically 2 years before a player reaches FA.

Daren Driefort is the worst case that I can come up with off the top of my head, and he was in the same boat as Garland, a year from FA.

There's relatively little risk in signing Crede to a 3-year deal with a 4th year option following this season. The first two seasons, you give him at or below what he would get at arbitration, and then fair market value for his 2 years following that.

People around here really don't seem to understand that defense is worth $$$. And that $5M for a slick fielding SS with pop is not overpaying, it's below market value.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 02:52 AM)
Not trying to start an argument, but in what way has Konerko outperformed Crede this year? Paul has a bunch more walks, which leads to a higher OBP, but other than that the numbers are surprisingly similar.

Sox stats

Kong still holds an edge in nearly every category. Small, yes, but then you just look at the OBP where Kong just murders him. This shouldn't be ignored, as it is one of the best stats to tell just how good a hitter is.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)

Sox stats

Kong has more Stolen Bases! :P

RetroSheet is a volunteer organization dedicated to making basic play by play information publicly available through its web site. They have message board and a member inquired about David Ortiz's success in game winning situations, asking where he ranks amoung all players. Tom Raune queried the pbp data and replied.

Going into 2006, guess who is the best 'walk off' player over the past 47 years? It's Joe Clutch Crede!