Would you unconditionally support this team if it led to a title every

sin city sox fan

First of all, let me preface that I'm rooting for this team to repeat and definitely feel that they are capable of doing so......however, MLB has had 6 different World Series champs in the last 6 years.

Last years success was enough to fuel me for a few years and I will continuously support this team in every way possible as long as one championship is given to me every 10 years for the rest of my life.

With a payroll of about $100 million and guys like Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen calling the shots, I have not doubts that this mesure of success will easily be surpassed.

However, if the majority of fans call seasons like this a failure and quit supporting the organization, you can count on our leaders losing their jobs and payroll being trimmed back to $65-70 million.

We'll all be lucky to see another title in our lifetime if that is the case.....and I personally find the thought of this extremely depressing.

Let's enjoy what the organization has done (and what it is doing for the future). Unless the fan support of this team forces the operation to change, a title will come again soon (possibly this year).

Don't let a loss or two (or even a bad month or a bad season) ruin your undying support of this organization.....things are good in Sox town and I have way more confidence in this team now than I did during hte lean years.

I have to go by what Steff said the other day.

The Internet fan is way more demoralizing than those at the Cell.

We have not had booing. Or not much of it.

Ozzie doesn't get booed or death threats.

Yes I can support this team if it doesn't win another world series for the next

10 years.

20 years.

30 years.

I am a Sox fan.

I'll support this team my whole life, no matter what happens. This year is hard to swallow though. Our team is too darn talented to be this bad(and yes I know they haven't been that bad but you get my point). Our manager can't manage a damn game and our 2nd or 3rd best sp is rotting in our bullpen and our manager seems to remember him being bad last year, when in reality he was fantastic down the stretch. This year is just extremely frusterating given the talent of this club and to me a lot had to do with how this team is being managed.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
I'll support this team my whole life, no matter what happens. This year is hard to swallow though. Our team is too darn talented to be this bad(and yes I know they haven't been that bad but you get my point). Our manager can't manage a damn game and our 2nd or 3rd best sp is rotting in our bullpen and our manager seems to remember him being bad last year, when in reality he was fantastic down the stretch. This year is just extremely frusterating given the talent of this club and to me a lot had to do with how this team is being managed.

I'm a Colts fan, a Cyclone fan, and a White Sox fan.

If I wanted a perennial winner, I would have made better choices.

QUOTE(sin city sox fan @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
First of all, let me preface that I'm rooting for this team to repeat and definitely feel that they are capable of doing so......however, MLB has had 6 different World Series champs in the last 6 years.

Your point? We didn't rape our farm system and add 20+ million dollars to the payroll to miss the playoffs.

Last years success was enough to fuel me for a few years and I will continuously support this team in every way possible as long as one championship is given to me every 10 years for the rest of my life.

Last year was great. It was amazing. I'll carry it with me until I'm dead. That doesn't mean that I have to settle for less from this point on.

With a payroll of about $100 million and guys like Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen calling the shots, I have not doubts that this mesure of success will easily be surpassed.

I agree with this. I love Kenny. He's been just about as perfect as a GM could be for the last 3 years (save the Javy trade). Ozzie? I think he's a very good manager. He's just a little too stubborn for his own good.

However, if the majority of fans call seasons like this a failure and quit supporting the organization, you can count on our leaders losing their jobs and payroll being trimmed back to $65-70 million.

Quit the organization? Who the hell is sayin' that? Have I missed something? I'd quit breathing before I quit the White Sox. I'm sure most from this site feel the same. You must be talking about the bandwagoners. That's why they're bandwagoners. The real fans aren't going anywhere.

We'll all be lucky to see another title in our lifetime if that is the case.....and I personally find the thought of this extremely depressing.

Again, who exactly are you talking about? The bandwagoners aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Last year's title is still fresh in everyone's mind. And even if they do -- so what!

Let's enjoy what the organization has done (and what it is doing for the future). Unless the fan support of this team forces the operation to change, a title will come again soon (possibly this year).

Again, the fanbase isn't gonna vanish after the season -- no matter what happens the rest of the way.

Don't let a loss or two (or even a bad month or a bad season) ruin your undying support of this organization.....things are good in Sox town and I have way more confidence in this team now than I did during hte lean years.

I won't. And I have little to no confidence in this team right now. I don't know how anybody could.

My parents didn't take a months-old infant to see the Yankees.

Or Cubs.

Or Red Sox.

No, they took me to see the South Side Hit Men. The Summer I was born (or so says the folklore.)

It was a good enough night to be able to forget what Gardenhire made us look like.

After this season is over, and the World Series ends, KW will start making moves, and all of a sudden everyone's gloom will lift and once again we will all believe that 2007 is our year. Just like every other year.

KW has done a good job of retaining prospects in the farm system and the offseason moves he made did improve the team to a certain extent. This year's apparent underachievement has fallen upon the starting pitching, and no one saw that coming. The foundation of this team revolves around Konerko, Dye, Crede, Garland, BMac, and Jenks. I believe all other pieces are interchangeable to a certain extent. If Anderson can become a CONSISTENT .270 hitter then he will be around a long time as well. All of these guys will be around for the next 10 years. Having said that, The Sox can grab 2 or 3 WS in that span. But I believe this is predicated less on what the Sox do than what Detroit, Minnesota and Cleveland do, because all 3 teams are extremely young and have TONS of talent. I think the AL Central will rule the Wild Card for the next 5 years, and provided the Sox play well in their division, they will likely be in the mix. I do contend that despite what has happened this year with the pitching, I would take my chances again with the same rotation next year, minus Vasquez, cause he sucks. I like the idea of bringing Tejada to play shortstop, but that means either Thome or Crede will need to go, or possibly Buerhle also. I absolutely love Crede, but his lower back problem is a huge liability. Thome is on his last legs and won't last another 2 years, but his left handed power would be extremely difficult to replace. They need to bring up Fields from AAA to see if he can take over Crede's spot. What I think is crucial is more team speed. This team has power but is very, very slow. We need speedsters at the top and bottom of the order, mixed it with some thumpers at the middle of the order, and we will have a very entertaining and very special attraction on the South Side.

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
to be perfectly honest, and i'm not talking to anyone here specifically, but if you are only a sox fan cause they won the series, and are just going to bail if they don't win again this year... i didn't want you here anyway.

I want their money.

Simplest question to ask a Sox fan to see if they are serious or not....who do you want up in the clutch? Jim Thome or Joe Crede. Their answer to that question pretty much determines it for me.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:18 AM)
I want their money.

Simplest question to ask a Sox fan to see if they are serious or not....who do you want up in the clutch? Jim Thome or Joe Crede. Their answer to that question pretty much determines it for me.

What if I say Geoff Blum?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
What if I say Geoff Blum?

:P

My point is.........fairweather fans will almost always says Jim Thome cause he's the new big bopper and every one knows him. Anyone that followed this team in and before 2005 has witnessed the magic that is Crede. And most will say Crede.

I don't hate fairweather fans. They get us free agents and create more of a demand for the Sox, which is always good.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)

My point is.........fairweather fans will almost always says Jim Thome cause he's the new big bopper and every one knows him. Anyone that followed this team in and before 2005 has witnessed the magic that is Crede. And most will say Crede.

I don't hate fairweather fans. They get us free agents and create more of a demand for the Sox, which is always good.

I will be a Sox fan if they never win the World Series again....I was one for 33 years before they won one to begin with...

And I believe that even if they don't make the playoffs the days of under 2 million are over....we should always draw well over 2 million as long as we are contenders...plus the season ticket base for the next few years will still be twice of what it was pre 2005 so all games will still have 20,000 plus no matter what..

The future of this franchise is a very bright and healthy one even if they miss the playoffs this year..the problem is that the American League is really competitive right now..a lot of teams are going to win 90 + games the next few seasons and not make the playoffs in the AL while NL teams will be going to the postseason with 82 wins.....

23 games over .500 is not a bad team....they have not played great lately - but please..this is not a bad season if you win 94 games...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)

I will be a Sox fan if they never win the World Series again....I was one for 33 years before they won one to begin with...

And I believe that even if they don't make the playoffs the days of under 2 million are over....we should always draw well over 2 million as long as we are contenders...plus the season ticket base for the next few years will still be twice of what it was pre 2005 so all games will still have 20,000 plus no matter what..

The future of this franchise is a very bright and healthy one even if they miss the playoffs this year..the problem is that the American League is really competitive right now..a lot of teams are going to win 90 + games the next few seasons and not make the playoffs in the AL while NL teams will be going to the postseason with 82 wins.....

23 games over .500 is not a bad team....they have not played great lately - but please..this is not a bad season if you win 94 games...

With the sickening feeling I took to bed last night after that heartbreaking loss, I spent some time today reflecting upon how many things fell into place last year and how spending nearly a month's pay to fly in from the west coast and take my father to games 1&2 of the WS brought memories I'll take to my grave.

I then stepped back and realized how unrealistic it is of me to expect a repeat of next year, with record setting 1-run wins, a pitching staff all having simultaneous career years, and almost perfect chemistry in the clubhouse, when considering how difficult it is simply to make the playoffs two years in a row, for anybody except the one team spending $250M per year.

Ozzie makes a lot of mistakes, players go through highs and lows throughout the season, and the GMs moves don't always pan out (the gamble on Thome that no one else would take paid in spades, Vasquez did not). All in all we're still right in it, MN still has to play a month of baseball better than us, and there are about 4 very real possible outcomes (though all not equally probably), including MN taking the division, us taking the division, or Detroit not even making the playoffs. There's going to be moments of confidence and despair in the coming month, but I have to be patient and not over react because we might just win the WC by a 1/2 game and then win three straight series.

No one on this site believed last Sept 25th that we were going to make the playoffs (and the Sox gave them every reason to feel that way), let alone go 11-1 through Bos, LAA, and Hous.......... Detroit's 10 game lead shrank to 5.5 in a few days, our lead over MN evaporated in days, we both face Bos, NY, Det, Oak, and LAA, no one has a clue how this crazy thing might go???

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 02:55 AM)
With the sickening feeling I took to bed last night after that heartbreaking loss, I spent some time today reflecting upon how many things fell into place last year and how spending nearly a month's pay to fly in from the west coast and take my father to games 1&2 of the WS brought memories I'll take to my grave.

I then stepped back and realized how unrealistic it is of me to expect a repeat of next year, with record setting 1-run wins, a pitching staff all having simultaneous career years, and almost perfect chemistry in the clubhouse, when considering how difficult it is simply to make the playoffs two years in a row, for anybody except the one team spending $250M per year.

Ozzie makes a lot of mistakes, players go through highs and lows throughout the season, and the GMs moves don't always pan out (the gamble on Thome that no one else would take paid in spades, Vasquez did not). All in all we're still right in it, MN still has to play a month of baseball better than us, and there are about 4 very real possible outcomes (though all not equally probably), including MN taking the division, us taking the division, or Detroit not even making the playoffs. There's going to be moments of confidence and despair in the coming month, but I have to be patient and not over react because we might just win the WC by a 1/2 game and then win three straight series.

No one on this site believed last Sept 25th that we were going to make the playoffs (and the Sox gave them every reason to feel that way), let alone go 11-1 through Bos, LAA, and Hous.......... Detroit's 10 game lead shrank to 5.5 in a few days, our lead over MN evaporated in days, we both face Bos, NY, Det, Oak, and LAA, no one has a clue how this crazy thing might go???

One of the best posts I've read on this site in a long time. :cheers

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)

This was a great post to read and it somewhat backs up what I am going to say. A fan is a fan no matter where their team finishes. A true fan lives and dies with their team. Every loss this year is just as tough for me to take as it was 3 years ago. When the Sox lose no one even thinks about talking to me because they know I'll be mad. I'd love to see the Sox repeat but as a fan of baseball in general I know that it is very hard and near impossible. With the team that is put together I want a playoff berth but if it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen then I'll sit in the winter and watch for the moves that KW will make and still think that this team is a contender and sit back and watch my team battle out 29 other teams to be called the best team in baseball.

I'm in a position now as a Sox lifer that I want to savor every drop of a winning team while I have the opportunity, which is why a lot of the Sox play this year has made me sick.

I feel that as a White Sox fan I've pulled for them in the shadow of another team in town that isn't very good and seemingly uninterested in keeping a winning team together, and at the height of our success last season I resent that we still can not get out from an ever-longer and darker shadow of East Coast media bias.

I forget who said it but it's basically true that an MLB team will win 60, lose 60 and the season is decided in the remaining 42. The best teams usually can only figure about 100 wins and the worst teams usually can figure about 100 losses with some exceptions. A lot of the Sox play this season has made me sick because they have not only been beat when they weren't the best team on the field on that given day but they cough up games they could and should win.

This most recent series versus Minnesota was a perfect example. We didn't get beat those two games--we lost. We were out-gritted by a grossly underrated manager in Ron Gardenhire and could not shut the door on a band of no-name overachievers. We've forgotten how to do the things that won us a title last year and our pitchers have woefully underperformed. As a fan you want the best effort, and I don't think I've seen it consistently all season.

I was raised a White Sox fan. I will stay a White Sox fan.

My Dad was born in 1927 and lived at 35th and Lowe. He taught me to answer "Louis Aparicio" when my Aunts and Uncles asked me "who's the shortstop for the White Sox?" before I was three. I used to listen to them call the games at old Comiskey on the PA when I wasn't at the park. My Dad died in 1992 without ever getting to see what I saw in 2005. I will never forget a single minute of that ride and I'm grateful for it.

But if they hadn't done it, and never did until I died, I'd still die a White Sox fan.

But that doesn't mean that certain individuals in the organization aren't morons sometimes...

Edited by PA32R