Sox 2006 MVP and Cy Young Awards

WCSox

Apologies if somebody already started a similar thread...

MVP: Dye - Monster season at the plate and solid defense in RF

Runner-Up: Crede - A career-best at the plate and a freaking vacuum at 3B

Cy Young: Jenks - 36/38 in saves... enough said

Runner-Up: Contreras - Tough call since nobody else really stands out, but Jose was a bad-ass early on and has the best combination of ERA and WHIP among starters

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Dye and Jenks. And it's not really close. Pitching staff runner up would probably have to be Thornton IMO, he's about the only other one who's been reliable for most of the season.

Please, do you have any idea where we would be without Garland in the second half?

QUOTE(valponick @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Please, do you have any idea where we would be without Garland in the second half?

I find it interesting that Garland's getting a lot of love, despite the fact that he was awful for the first two months of the season. Not that I disagree, but I find it somewhat odd that Jose's lights-out pitching from April-June has been downgraded in comparison.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(valponick @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)

Do you have any idea where we'd be without Jenks? Yes, Garland has been very good in the 2nd half, but if we're talking about a "Team Cy Young" award, or best pitcher on a team, or most key guy, you have to give it to Jenks because he's been rock solid the whole year.

Thome-Garland

As much as I have been ragging on Jim Thome's philosophy offensively and saying it is the reason the Sox are swinging for the fences again, I think his prescence alone has helped many in this lineup have the years they've had, and it is one of the main reasons the Sox are as good offensively as they are. The Sox made 2 changes on the offense, and they go from horrible to a powerhouse overnight? There's one guy I can think of.

I'm also tempted to just give MVP to Garland too. That man has MAHBLES.

Dye's been amazing too...I just look at MVP as most valuable player, not best stats for a hitter.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Thome-Garland

As much as I have been ragging on Jim Thome's philosophy offensively and saying it is the reason the Sox are swinging for the fences again, I think his prescence alone has helped many in this lineup have the years they've had, and it is one of the main reasons the Sox are as good offensively as they are. The Sox made 2 changes on the offense, and they go from horrible to a powerhouse overnight? There's one guy I can think of.

I'm also tempted to just give MVP to Garland too. That man has MAHBLES.

Dye's been amazing too...I just look at MVP as most valuable player, not best stats for a hitter.

IMHO, and I understand those who disagree, for a DH to pass a position player for MVP, the DH has to be a magnitude higher than the position player. Not just a little better. It better be substantially better. I think Dye is close enough that he would get the nod. I agree with your observation about Thome, his hitting, and his impact. I would also add, Thome has probably made Dye better.

I wouldn't call last year's offense horrible.

Jermaine Dye - MVP

followed by Joe Crede

Jon Garland - Cy Young

followed by Jenks and Thorton

Id also like to mention that Jermaine Dye is the MVP of MLB, i dont care what ESPN says.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
IMHO, and I understand those who disagree, for a DH to pass a position player for MVP, the DH has to be a magnitude higher than the position player. Not just a little better. It better be substantially better. I think Dye is close enough that he would get the nod. I agree with your observation about Thome, his hitting, and his impact. I would also add, Thome has probably made Dye better.

I wouldn't call last year's offense horrible.

I understand the whole DH doesn't play the field argument...but without the addition of Thome, this offense is not much better, if it's better at all, than last year's offense. And what's a 1Bman do anyways...catch the ball, field the ball, hold the runner on, and occasionally field a bunt? They have value defensively, but not nearly the value any other position does defensively. Be it right or wrong, I basically lump 1Bman an dDH into the same category when comparing them in the MVP.

Aruging Dye and Thome's a little different though, as Dye does play a more important position defensively, and he plays it pretty well. However, I think Thome's prescense in the lineup outweighs what Dye would have done without Thome in the lineup. It's hard to judge, because by and large it's just my opinion that Thome has helped the entire lineup.

And while last year's offense wasn't horrible persay, it wasn't good. 9th in runs scored, 11 in average, 11 in OBP, and a team OPS+ of 95. Those are all pretty much the most telling offensive stats, and all are in the lower 3rd. They were 3rd in the AL in stolen bases with 137, 59 of which were stolen by Podsednik; however, they led the league in caught stealing last year, which is obviously horrible.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
I understand the whole DH doesn't play the field argument...but without the addition of Thome, this offense is not much better, if it's better at all, than last year's offense. And what's a 1Bman do anyways...catch the ball, field the ball, hold the runner on, and occasionally field a bunt? They have value defensively, but not nearly the value any other position does defensively. Be it right or wrong, I basically lump 1Bman an dDH into the same category when comparing them in the MVP.

Aruging Dye and Thome's a little different though, as Dye does play a more important position defensively, and he plays it pretty well. However, I think Thome's prescense in the lineup outweighs what Dye would have done without Thome in the lineup. It's hard to judge, because by and large it's just my opinion that Thome has helped the entire lineup.

And while last year's offense wasn't horrible persay, it wasn't good. 9th in runs scored, 11 in average, 11 in OBP, and a team OPS+ of 95. Those are all pretty much the most telling offensive stats, and all are in the lower 3rd. They were 3rd in the AL in stolen bases with 137, 59 of which were stolen by Podsednik; however, they led the league in caught stealing last year, which is obviously horrible.

Although it is a small sample size, look what Dye is doing in the 3 spot, without big Jim. He is just a gamer. We really needed someone to step up while Thome was out and thats what he did. Thats the type of quiet leadership Dye brings that makes him an MVP type player. It's a nice argument to have.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Apologies if somebody already started a similar thread...

MVP: Dye - Monster season at the plate and solid defense in RF

Runner-Up: Crede - A career-best at the plate and a freaking vacuum at 3B

Cy Young: Jenks - 36/38 in saves... enough said

Runner-Up: Contreras - Tough call since nobody else really stands out, but Jose was a bad-ass early on and has the best combination of ERA and WHIP among starters

Garland should be the runner-up pitching wise. It's amazing that Jose shouldn't even be in the conversation after the first two months he had.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
I find it interesting that Garland's getting a lot of love, despite the fact that he was awful for the first two months of the season. Not that I disagree, but I find it somewhat odd that Jose's lights-out pitching from April-June has been downgraded in comparison.

Yes Contreras stayed undefeated up until the All-Star break and whenever he technically gave it up afterwords, but he had quite a few no-decisions and huge run support from the offense, I "felt" his falter well before it actually happened. JG > JC.

MVP-JD

Cy Young Bad Bobby Jenks

I know people want to point at the last couple of months for Jon Garland, but that forgets his first couple of months, and the fact that if Bobby Jenks isn't at the back of the bullpen, it doesn't matter if Cy Young himself was in the rotation for the last couple of months, this team would be finished. Jenks has closed every single big game this year, including some long saves, and some 2-3 inning stints to keep extra inning games going. Jenks has been nothing short of incredible for a guy who is basically still a rookie. Jenks is the CY and its not even close IMO.

contreras was great in the first half, while Jon struggled, but Jon came through this second half when we needed him most, while all our other pitchers are struggling.

Dye hands down for the mvp of the team and should be a strong canidate for the AL mvp too.

MVP Dye

Cy Young: Jenks

It babbles me that so many are picking Garland. He has been our rock in the 2nd half, but the other crappy starting pitching performances are making him look better than he is. This is a pitcher who had an ERA over 6 half way through June and had an ERA over 5 as recently as just 3 weeks ago. However, I hope he continues to be a stud over the final weeks and maybe I will change my mind.

MVP - Dye. And I hope he gets the real one as well. Best signing in KW's tenure as GM.

Runner Up - Crede. What can you say, would have be one of the most valuable third baseman, if not the most valuable in all of baseball right now. Patience is a virtue, and now we're reaping the rewards.

MVP - Jenks. I was torn on this one. But there were questions on Bobby coming into this season, and he's performed well from day one. Since he's been our most consistent pitcher from day one, that's what sets him apart from other Sox pitchers. Sure he's had moments where his ERA have gone up, but more importantly, he hasn't blown many saves. And considering former Sox closers, that's a godsend.

Runner Up - Garland. My man JG (original backer here) :D. What he has done over the past 3 months, cannot be underestimated by any stretch of means. That ERA could get down below 4, which would be amazing considering the start he had to the season.