Contreras Beats Lackey 9/11/06

shoota

Man what a win!

Like you all said time has run out. We can't lose any more ground or we're toast.

One game at a time, guys. Let's win.

I just re-read the end of the game thread and predictably many were mad at Oz for having

Bobby in the game. Hmmm Bobby got the save and i didn't see any apologies to Oz on there.

GO SOX!

On a sidenote, just want to point out that I was really surprised, I saw very very few White Sox fans at the game this year. In fact I think this was the fewest I've seen at a Sox Angel game in my lifetime. But I didn't really wander too far around the stadium, I was in my seats part of the game and than moved down into the club level later on and both sections are mainly filled with season ticket holders so maybe its the wrong sample size to see.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
I just re-read the end of the game thread and predictably many were mad at Oz for having

Bobby in the game. Hmmm Bobby got the save and i didn't see any apologies to Oz on there.

GO SOX!

You're right, the first two batters didn't get hits or anything. :bang

It was a questionable move...it was just a good thing Thornton was warming up, or that could have been disasterous. Obviously, it's good to see Bobby get the save, and he needed to get in there...but you can't call people out for questioning Ozzie in that situation. Bobby has been horrible the past couple times out...it's a good thing to see he is gettin back.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
Questionable move, for cripes sakes Bobby is our closer. What the hell are you all talking about. Sure he's been rusty since coming back from an injury but I think he's proven himself over the course of two seasons that we should have faith in the guy.

I think people are still worried about Bobby's health, I know I am. If he's healthy, then yes he should get the ball no questions asked but the last time I saw him pitch(the ajp game) he was definitely lacking his good stuff. Now, I couldn't watch the game today so how did his stuff look? Another thing that always usually gets Bobby when he's struggling is the location of his fastball. It seems when he struggles his fastball is usually down around the knees instead of right above the belt where it should be. Anyways, hopefully he actually is healthy and can be the Bobby we've all come to love.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
I agree, we should have all the faith in the world because jenks saved game four of the world series. He gets a free pass along with ozzie because of his genius managing in the playoffs.

One difference, Jenks has been one of the 4 best closers in baseball THIS YEAR. I realize his ERA isn't jaw dropping amazing, but he's converting saves and you know what in the end thats what matters.

As far as his stuff, I thought he looked good and he was throwing strikes. When Bobby throws strikes he's pretty tough to hit. You can see some rust and he still has to work on improving his consistency with the breaking ball, but bottom line he did the job and stuff wise looked good (even though he did give up 2 hits).

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
The way I figured it is have both Bobby and Thornton warming up in the bp... if Jenks didnt look like he had his stuff put in Thornton if he did give him the chance. And he had his stuff out there.. unlike last time.

And thats exactly what Ozzie did, Thorty was up and ready.

One of the things the Count did tonight...and hopefully getting back into the routine of doing is sticking with the splitter. Last year, in the entire second half...his splitter was the out pitch...and for some reason after the all star break he seemed to get away from it. As Count's splitter goes...so does his success. He needs to stick with it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
One difference, Jenks has been one of the 4 best closers in baseball THIS YEAR. I realize his ERA isn't jaw dropping amazing, but he's converting saves and you know what in the end thats what matters.

As far as his stuff, I thought he looked good and he was throwing strikes. When Bobby throws strikes he's pretty tough to hit. You can see some rust and he still has to work on improving his consistency with the breaking ball, but bottom line he did the job and stuff wise looked good (even though he did give up 2 hits).

10 pitches, 10 strikes.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 04:58 AM)
One of the things the Count did tonight...and hopefully getting back into the routine of doing is sticking with the splitter. Last year, in the entire second half...his splitter was the out pitch...and for some reason after the all star break he seemed to get away from it. As Count's splitter goes...so does his success. He needs to stick with it.

Contreras seemed to have lost his good release point with his splitter, especially in the games where he got lit up. When Jose can throw the splitter, keep it mid to low and have it dance like he did last night, you can almost always pencil him in for 6-9 Ks and 1-3 ER, and he is almost unhittable. It was a good thing that he was on his game last night, who knows how the night would have gone if Lackey had gotten a few runs of support first.

This was a close call again and came down to the bullpen. I had to think for asecond when Jenks gave up back to back singles to start off the 9th. That made six straight hits he allowed over 2 appearances and no outs. He then got the DP and aK so I think maybe he righted the sinking ship that was Bobby Jenks as the closer