Daisuke Matsuzaka

jolleyrogers

Hello fellow Sox fans. Daisuke Matsuzaka was just given permission to pursue a career in the MLB by his team in Japan. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2619621

While it would be nice to have a pitcher like Matsuzaka, who has been dominant in Japan, I realize the White Sox already have 6 starting pitchers for 2006, so Matsuzaka likely won't become a member of our rotation. However, who are the teams that would likely bid for the negotiation rights? Also, could someone explain the "posting system" teams use for players coming from other countries?

Go Sox!

-ORsoxfan

QUOTE(ORsoxfan @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Hello fellow Sox fans. Daisuke Matsuzaka was just given permission to pursue a career in the MLB by his team in Japan. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2619621

While it would be nice to have a pitcher like Matsuzaka, who has been dominant in Japan, I realize the White Sox already have 6 starting pitchers for 2006, so Matsuzaka likely won't become a member of our rotation. However, who are the teams that would likely bid for the negotiation rights? Also, could someone explain the "posting system" teams use for players coming from other countries?

Go Sox!

-ORsoxfan

The Yankee's are apparently hot after him. Or at least that what I gathered from listening to one of the baseball insiders on my local station talking about the Yanks (it was actually a NY writer talking about it).

Posting deals with teams negotiating blindly (like a blind bid) putting in bids to the team and there is a deadline. At the deadline the team with the highest bid gets exclusive negotiating ability with the player.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
The Yankee's are apparently hot after him. Or at least that what I gathered from listening to one of the baseball insiders on my local station talking about the Yanks (it was actually a NY writer talking about it).

Posting deals with teams negotiating blindly (like a blind bid) putting in bids to the team and there is a deadline. At the deadline the team with the highest bid gets exclusive negotiating ability with the player.

Paging Hideki Irabu...Hideki Irabu you have a Mr. Steinbrenner on line 2.

The Yanks will probably be all over him.

The Red Sox will surely try to make a bid, because the Yanks are and they need a SP.

Seattle probably will because they need SP and because they already have Ichiro.

The Rangers have been mentioned that they'll try to make a bid for him.

I imagine the Mets may try to get in the negotiations as well.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
I think all these Japanese guys should go straight to the draft. Just my opinion.

And I think for anyone who is entering the league for the first time. DRAFT!

Agreed, this way the Yankees actually get punished for dealing all their farm system talent, instead they get an easy way out by buying all their prospects like Wang, Melky, Cano, and Tabata.

QUOTE(chaerulez @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Agreed, this way the Yankees actually get punished for dealing all their farm system talent, instead they get an easy way out by buying all their prospects like Wang, Melky, Cano, and Tabata.

It would have to be modified. Like a Rule V draft...worst teams get first dibs, but can pass if they want to, like if they don't think they can sign him because of money.

Plus, this might affect the players coming over...he's a veteran player, he should have the right to be a free agent. I mean, he can choose to stay in Japan if he wants, can't he? So why shouldn't he be able to decide what team he wants to play for?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
I never thought of that idea before. It is a valid point.

Its been discussed a few times as of late by MLB and the Players Union. I think we'll start to see more talks of an international draft, but logistically it could be a very difficult thing to agree to and do.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
Its been discussed a few times as of late by MLB and the Players Union. I think we'll start to see more talks of an international draft, but logistically it could be a very difficult thing to agree to and do.

The NHL and NBA seem to do just fine at it... Its only difficult because the players union doesn't want to see it happen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
The NHL and NBA seem to do just fine at it... Its only difficult because the players union doesn't want to see it happen.

One major difference is the fact that the MLB draft is 50 rounds as opposed to just a few. So that would make things a lot harder, since many US born players would no longer get drafted and my guess is fewer international players would make the scene as a hole (thats if you don't expand the draft; if it were to happen I'd imagine you'd see it get expanded).

Plus you have the MLB with 4 level's of full season minor league teams, 2 more short season teams and sometimes more than that. In the NHL you have the minors, but those players are allowed to play in there international leagues (which are still good, but in baseball I think that would be harder since there aren't as many international league's all over the place, plus the conditions are pretty poor in most of the leagues which can't be said for the NBA/NHL league's where the international players are still making a nice living).

I think all these Japanese guys should go straight to the draft. Just my opinion.

The guys who go through the posting system are still under contract to their Japanese teams. MLB and the Japanese leagues have had a few disputes (Hideo Nomo, some guy in the 60s) over the years about Japanese players still under contract wanting to go play in the US. That's why this system exists today.

A Thought came to my mind, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of my statement. I'm wondering if the Scrubbies wold make a serious dash for this guy now that they have Piniella. Here's where I'm a little foggy..........Was Piniella with The Mariners when they landed Ichiro, and their past stud closer Sasaki?

If so, he seems to have a thing for Asian studs. If not, it still would make sense for him to want Matzu! 1) They need serious starting pitching badly, and 2) What would be better than to bring in a new stud that NOBODY has seen or faced before (especially with quite a few of St Louis pitchers up for F.A? After all the garbage he went through with the Tampa Bay organization of never bringing in winning talent, Piniella is pretty adamant on wanting to bring in some high-profile players,(or he would not have signed in the first place) and the Cubbies purse seems to be pretty open. Put the pieces together, and It all kind of makes sense. On a different note....ALL OF THIS STUFF could help us out because with all the attention being on the north side right now, it kind of puts an extra tug on KW and JR to keep our team as best as can be even if it means stretching the payroll a little bit. We finally have a great fan base, and I'm sure they want to keep it that way. Thoughts?

You got a very good point there. I agree with you.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Ideally, a team could big $100 million dollars just to negotiate with him and then offer him a $1 dollar contract. The whole process is stupid. I can see him going to the Yankees but the Red Sox are reportedly hot after him as well.

the player wouldn't accept that.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
You got a very good point there. I agree with you.

There is no way a player that played professionally in another country is going to go back into a draft process to prove himself. They should be treated like free agents.