Any realistic way to upgrade the starting pitching?

Rowand44

Zito and Matsuzaka are Boras clients. Jason Schmidt is 33, going to receive probably much more money than he is worth and I'm not sure if he's better than what we already have. And that pretty much does it for the free agent market. On the trade market? Maybe Dontrelle(not a fan) and who else? Besides the obvious trading of one starter to make room for Brandon is there really anything else Kenny can do to improve the staff?

Thoughts? Ideas?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
Zito and Matsuzaka are Boras clients. Jason Schmidt is 33, going to receive probably much more money than he is worth and I'm not sure if he's better than what we already have. And that pretty much does it for the free agent market. On the trade market? Maybe Dontrelle(not a fan) and who else? Besides the obvious trading of one starter to make room for Brandon is there really anything else Kenny can do to improve the staff?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Subtracting Vazquez will be a major addition in itself.

I know I might get killed for saying this, but what about Mussina if we can get him to sign a 2 year deal. That way after the contract is up, Broadway and Heager will be ready, if there not ready before then. Is Carlos Zambrano available, I know he is a FA after 07, so maybe we can get him? But would the Cubs want to trade a young, all-star to the White Sox, and what would the Sox have to give up in return? Would you trade Fields for Zambrano striaght up if we can sign Zambrano and Crede to long term deals? Maybe that isnt realistic? Is there any way to get Lackey from the Angels? Would Garcia, Vazquez and Cotts be enough to land Lackey and Shields?... Peavy? Hudson?

The way I look at it, is we have 6 starts, atleast one has to be traded, would that really improve the rotation that much? I don't think it will. Right now, I think you can pencil in Buehrle, Garland, and McCarthy into the rotation, but who will fill the other holes?

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
I know I might get killed for saying this, but what about Mussina if we can get him to sign a 2 year deal. That way after the contract is up, Broadway and Heager will be ready, if there not ready before then. Is Carlos Zambrano available, I know he is a FA after 07, so maybe we can get him? But would the Cubs want to trade a young, all-star to the White Sox, and what would the Sox have to give up in return? Would you trade Fields for Zambrano striaght up if we can sign Zambrano and Crede to long term deals? Maybe that isnt realistic? Is there any way to get Lackey from the Angels? Would Garcia, Vazquez and Cotts be enough to land Lackey and Shields?... Peavy? Hudson?

The way I look at it, is we have 6 starts, atleast one has to be traded, would that really improve the rotation that much? I don't think it will. Right now, I think you can pencil in Buehrle, Garland, and McCarthy into the rotation, but who will fill the other holes?

Not even close to being realistic. Zambrano is one of the leagues elite starters, you're not getting him for an above average but not great prospect. I'd kill for Carlos Zambrano by the way.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:53 AM)
Not even close to being realistic. Zambrano is one of the leagues elite starters, you're not getting him for an above average but not great prospect. I'd kill for Carlos Zambrano by the way.

I too would love Zambrano. Yes he has his moments, but so did AJ before he was on the Sox. Zambrano wants to win, and thats who I want on the Sox. He most likely isnt even available, but what would it take to get him if he was?

ooh, ooh, I got one...but it's really not very original. subtract Garcia or Vazquez, plug in McCarthy. and what do you get? BOOM! instant upgrade. now who do you trade, Garcia or Vazquez?

...wait, don't we have a 40-page thread dedicated to that, under the name "Official Off-season idea and prediction thread?" or has that moved on to A-Rod talk?

but seriously, Buehrle's had this kind of year and bounced back before, Contreras should get healthy and he was a Cy Young contender before that injury, Garland had a strong second half and apparently got over supposed arm troubles. now for the odd men out, Garcia's developed a splitter that he's dominated with and Vazquez is a modern-day Nolan Ryan in innings one through five.

I'm not sure if he's a free agent, but what about an incentive laden contract for Mark Mulder? He's a Chicago kid and I think grew up a Sox fan. He may not get as much as he thinks considering he's coming off a bad and injury-prone season.

Also, Andy Pettitte might be worth a look.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
A lights out bullpen would be a major help.

After that, maybe getting younger would help - I would look to trade Contreras for young pitching.

I wouldn't mind retooling our staff. There are a few guys I have some question-marks about so if we could get younger quality guys I wouldn't be opposed. At the same time every one of our guys could come out next season and kick butt.

First thing I'd do is try to make the pen a little stronger.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)

I don't see how Buehlre could possibly be a lock at this point, hell his option hasn't even been picked up yet. Once the option is excercised he still isn't a lock seeing how he can walk after the '07 season. There are no locks for next year's rotation, the pitcher's who's jobs are the safest would be McCarthy, Garland and Vazquez then a little ways down you have Contreras followed by Buehrle and Garcia is on the very bottom of the list, here's a visual:

Garland | McCarthy | Vazquez Contreras Buehlre Garcia

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
A lights out bullpen would be a major help.

After that, maybe getting younger would help - I would look to trade Contreras for young pitching.

yes, I'd love one of those. but I bet a lot of teams would, and I bet the Yankees thought they were getting one when they signed Octavio Dotel. doesn't always work out like you plan, however.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
I don't see how Buehlre could possibly be a lock at this point, hell his option hasn't even been picked up yet. Once the option is excercised he still isn't a lock seeing how he can walk after the '07 season. There are no locks for next year's rotation, the pitcher's who's jobs are the safest would be McCarthy, Garland and Vazquez then a little ways down you have Contreras followed by Buehrle and Garcia is on the very bottom of the list, here's a visual:

Garland | McCarthy | Vazquez Contreras Buehlre Garcia

outstanding visual, bro. thanks.

:headbang

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
I'm not sure if he's a free agent, but what about an incentive laden contract for Mark Mulder? He's a Chicago kid and I think grew up a Sox fan. He may not get as much as he thinks considering he's coming off a bad and injury-prone season.

Also, Andy Pettitte might be worth a look.

Mulder won't happen after what Ozzie said about him. Then again, Ozzie says lots of crap so I don't know if anyone pays attention.

I don't want to see him or Pettitte come back to the AL with the Sox.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I'm not a huge Matz fan, and stay away from Schmidt and Zito.

How about Mike Mussina?

Won't need a 5-year deal, great DIPS pitcher. He'd be my choice.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Ignore the trade market. We're not going to enter, much less win, a bidding war for top-tier starting pitchers.

And I'm tired of trading prospects or players on the current roster for starting pitchers.

Want an upgrade? Here's my solution:

latin-america.gif

Heavily scout it. Now. Don't want to? Forget about succeeding in this division beyond next season. Nearly 30% of the major leagues is represented from this area, yet we haven't produced any talent out of there since Ordonez and Lee. It's embarrassing. People need to get their act together.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

If we trade Buehrle and Crede to New York for A Rod and move B Mac into the rotation, that would be a huge upgrade. Besides that.....we just have to hope the pen is better. Zito and that Japanese pitcher are going to cost way too much, and to be honest I don't think for us, they are worth it.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
How about Mike Mussina?

Not a bad idea, but his option is going to get picked up.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Ignore the trade market. We're not going to enter, much less win, a bidding war for top-tier starting pitchers.

And I'm tired of trading prospects or players on the current roster for starting pitchers.

Want an upgrade? Here's my solution:

latin-america.gif

Heavily scout it. Now. Don't want to? Forget about succeeding in this division beyond next season. Nearly 30% of the major leagues is represented from this area, yet we haven't produced any talent out of there since Ordonez and Lee. It's embarrassing. People need to get their act together.

Yes, the answer lies in Latin american, Of course!!! Why hasnt anyone thought of that!!!! Man you are a genius.s

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 03:18 AM)
I'm not a huge Matz fan, and stay away from Schmidt and Zito.

How about Mike Mussina?

I'd love to see the Sox grab Mussina. I really enjoyed watching him pitch for most of the season; pitched very effectively inside, did an awesome job of changing speeds. Still has some 'zip' on the fastball, too.

If there was a scenario in which we could lock up Mussina on a two year deal (two years, $25 million), I'd look to trade two starters this offseason. Then obviously you could try and deal two starters this offseason (Garcia, and either Contreras or Buehrle), and you'd certainly do a pretty good job of restocking the farm by trading two of the above.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
Yes, the answer lies in Latin american, Of course!!! Why hasnt anyone thought of that!!!! Man you are a genius.s

I'm not quite Kalapse level of genius, but I like to believe I'm a notch below. :cheers :headbang

Criticize all you want, but realistically, how can you ignore our deficiencies on this issue?

Thirty percent of major leaguers originate from Latin America, yet we haven't signed and developed a contributing player from this area in 10 years? We're not the damn Royals. This is embarrassing, and needs to change.

Travel south of Florida and give yourself a chance to develop pitchers who are out of reach in the draft. Sounds to me like a realistic way of upgrade the starting pitching. May take years for results to arrive, but devoting resources to this issue would prove more beneficial than any ridiculous FA shopping spree.

Edited by Flash Tizzle