What are the odds of Dye getting dealt?

striker

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how many people overlook the guys on the current team.

There are very few better than Dye.

DDD. Don't Deal Dye.

Seriously some people need to get over this love of the unknown.

You ain't going to get better than Dye.

And for the money? My gawd he is underpaid!!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
It's amazing how many people overlook the guys on the current team.

There are very few better than Dye.

DDD. Don't Deal Dye.

Seriously some people need to get over this love of the unknown.

You ain't going to get better than Dye.

And for the money? My gawd he is underpaid!!

He is underpaid for 1 more season. After that, he will either be overpaid or will be gone.

I know Dye had a great season last year but what are the odds of him repeating it?

Remember that we won it all with Dye hitting 31 hrs and 89 rbi but we didn't make the playoffs with him hitting 44 hrs and 120 rbi. Why? Cause our pitching sucked and pitching wins.

KW is full of suprises. I remember he traded, what was probably our best pitcher at the time, Mike Sirotka.

KW traded the most hard nosed players on a World Series team, Aaron Rowand.

KW let three of the most talented players in Whitesox history (Ordonez, Thomas and Lee) go.

Don't put it past him.

If KW can bolster the bullpen and possibly add a guy like Crawford i would support a move like this. But the chances of this happening is not very high. Dye was one of the few consistencies in 2006. But your right none of us should be surprised with KW. But i trust whatever decision he makes.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
I know Dye had a great season last year but what are the odds of him repeating it?

Remember that we won it all with Dye hitting 31 hrs and 89 rbi but we didn't make the playoffs with him hitting 44 hrs and 120 rbi. Why? Cause our pitching sucked and pitching wins.

Yet, Jermaine Dye was the MVP of the World Series

KW is full of suprises. I remember he traded, what was probably our best pitcher at the time, Mike Sirotka.

Do you even remember that? Sirotka was damaged goods, he never pitched in the bigs again. KW was blacklisted for a period of time after that happened.

KW traded the most hard nosed players on a World Series team, Aaron Rowand.

And KW ended up with the Comeback player of the year while Rowand broke his ankle.

KW let three of the most talented players in Whitesox history (Ordonez, Thomas and Lee) go.

Don't put it past him.

He didnt let Lee go. He traded Lee for Podsednik and Vizcaino.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Yet, Jermaine Dye was the MVP of the World Series

That is my point. Who cares what his regular season stats are (2006) if you don't make it to the world series!!!

Do you even remember that? Sirotka was damaged goods, he never pitched in the bigs again. KW was blacklisted for a period of time after that happened.

Sirotka was still one of the Sox best players. Supposedly KW wasn't aware of the injury.

And KW ended up with the Comeback player of the year while Rowand broke his ankle.

Again, another statement supporting my argument.

He didnt let Lee go. He traded Lee for Podsednik and Vizcaino.

Same thing. When he traded Lee did he go? Yes. So he let him go. He didn't release him (I didn't say this). He didn't let him go via free agency (I didn't say this either).

Everything you said made my argument stronger.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
That is my point. Who cares what his regular season stats are (2006) if you don't make it to the world series!!!

Sirotka was still one of the Sox best players. Supposedly KW wasn't aware of the injury.

Again, another statement supporting my argument.

Same thing. When he traded Lee did he go? Yes. So he let him go. He didn't release him (I didn't say this). He didn't let him go via free agency (I didn't say this either).

Everything you said made my argument stronger.

You are for trading the MVP of the 2005 world series, and a MVP runner-up in 2006 because his value is high. Why? Why do you trade someone just because his value is high? Can KW replace his value in the lineup? Does he have someone waiting in the minors to replace him in RF?

Lets say KW traded Dye after the World Series because his value was high, would the Sox even competed in 2006?

Ordonez and Thomas were "let go" because of money and injury concerns, not because KW decided he didnt want them. Lee was traded because KW realized he needed to put money elsewhere(catcher, relief, left field, 2nd base), not because their value was high, which is your argument. If I would have said "KW let Thomas and Ordonez go because their value was high", then I would be strenghtening your argument.

Right now the return package would have to be incredible for KW to consider moving Dye, and I dont know if there is anyone out there willing to make that deal.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
You are for trading the MVP of the 2005 world series, and a MVP runner-up in 2006 because his value is high. Why? Why do you trade someone just because his value is high? Can KW replace his value in the lineup? Does he have someone waiting in the minors to replace him in RF?

But see, that's exactly the point! The White Sox don't have anyone in the minors who can replace Jermaine Dye right now, and at the end of 2007, the White Sox are going to have no choice but to find someone who can replace Jermaine Dye, because he's a free agent.

We just can not hold on to all of these guys and give each of them the $5-$8 million raise they'll command on the open market. Buehrle, Crede, Dye, Iguchi, Garland, the list goes on and on and on. Some of them have to be moved for younger talent. It doesn't have to be Dye, but if Dye gets you the best return, then maybe it should be.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)

Lets say KW traded Dye after the World Series because his value was high, would the Sox even competed in 2006?

Ordonez and Thomas were "let go" because of money and injury concerns, not because KW decided he didnt want them. Lee was traded because KW realized he needed to put money elsewhere(catcher, relief, left field, 2nd base), not because their value was high, which is your argument. If I would have said "KW let Thomas and Ordonez go because their value was high", then I would be strenghtening your argument.

Right now the return package would have to be incredible for KW to consider moving Dye, and I dont know if there is anyone out there willing to make that deal.

I'm not saying get rid of Dye because his value is high. I'm saying that we have holes to plug and Dye is probably our most wanted player because of his abilities and because of his salary.

He more likely to get traded because he is a free agent after 2007. He's also an outfielder which are a dime a dozen.

I know KW isn't going to just give him away either. KW has always gotten the better end of the deal in my opinion.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
I would be sad also. But that wouldn't make it the wrong decision if the right deal came along.

Agreed. I don't want to see anyone go but if a move will bring us a stronger pitching staff or Ichiro or Crawford then I am for it.

This lineup would just be sick. I know I'm dreaming but hey, it's the offseason (for the Sox)

CF Crawford

RF Suzuki

1B Kornerko

DH Thome

3B Crede

CA Pierzynski

2B Iguchi

SS Uribe

LF Sweeney

If we are out of contention at the trade deadline, yes, but otherwise we'll be holding onto Dye at the rate he has. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox talked about ripping up his current contract and giving him a new 2-3 year deal, paying him more than he'd get this year, but getting a bit of a discount in the following years.

Maybe like a 3yr 30 type deal.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
Agreed. I don't want to see anyone go but if a move will bring us a stronger pitching staff or Ichiro or Crawford then I am for it.

This lineup would just be sick. I know I'm dreaming but hey, it's the offseason (for the Sox)

CF Crawford

RF Suzuki

1B Kornerko

DH Thome

3B Crede

CA Pierzynski

2B Iguchi

SS Uribe

LF Sweeney

Wow....Better hope we don't face many lefties.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
Wow....Better hope we don't face many lefties.

If you replace one of the lefties with a righty then we are lopsided righty. Then you can say "Wow...Better hope we don't face many righties". There is an odd number of people so you are going to be lopsided one way or the other.

These are major league baseball players. If they can't hit lefties and righties then they suck.

VS. Lefties

Crawford .288

Suzuki .352

Pierzynski .270

Thome .236

Do your homework next time. Class dismissed.

What are the odds that any replacement could do better than Dye in 2007? If the goal is trying to win the WS, you keep Dye. If KW had the attitude that trading players with expiring contracts is a must after 2004, Konerko would have been somewhere else in 2005, and so probably would be the WS trophy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
What are the odds that any replacement could do better than Dye in 2007? If the goal is trying to win the WS, you keep Dye. If KW had the attitude that trading players with expiring contracts is a must after 2004, Konerko would have been somewhere else in 2005, and so probably would be the WS trophy.

But again, that's not the question at all. The question is this: what are the odds that Dye's replacement (Sweeney?) and whoever we were able to get by trading Dye and whoever we spent Dye's $6 million salary and the salary of whoever is replaced by getting more talent through the trade would be better than Dye in 2007, and of course, beyond. That is a much more detailed question than the way people are trying to make it out to be.

Yes, KW does not trade all of his players with expiring contracts. But think of the difference after 2005...after 05, we basically had Konerko to resign. Everyone else was either under our control or on their way out anyway (Thomas, Everett). At the end of 2007, we have 4 guys with expiring contracts. That is a much bigger issue, and a hell of a lot more money.

The simple fact is this; the White Sox need to be sellers right now. They need to sell at least 1 starting pitcher, if not more, depending on what they get back. But beyond that, the White Sox need to use the fact that they can be sellers right now to solidify the other spots in their order for the future, either by freeing up money to extend the contracts of people or by finding other players that can be plugged in for the guys who may be leaving.

I just don't want to see us sign Buehrle and Crede this offseason, then watch Garcia, Iguchi, and Dye all walk, and suddenly be forced to put Haegar into the rotation even if he sucks this year, an infield of Crede, Uribe, Cintron, and Konerko, an outfield of Fields, Anderson, and Sweeney, and still somehow a $100 million payroll.

Are you friggin nuts?!? Get rid of Dye?!? Jeez...let's just purge the whole team and hope for the best.

The team won 90 games with a ton of guys really having crap seasons...specifically our staff....and you want to start trading some of our best players. Seriously....the Sox were only how many games here and there (that I can recall ones they really blew albeit from the bullpen...to the starters...to a timely hit here or there...) from winning 7-8-9 more games and taking the division. Let's stop the rebuilding madness.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
agh, what a difference a year makes...

last year:

"we have all our starters locked up for like, ever! ANd all we have to worry about is crede"

this year:

"PANIC!!!!"

I don't personally remember thinking that...I was pretty worried about watching our starting pitching evaporate last year before we got Garland and Contreras signed.

But even still, here's the difference between last year and this year: We're not the defending world series champions any more. We're a team coming off missing the playoffs now. If we were looking at making 1 last gasp and shooting for a 3-peat, I could understand being willing to watch some really key people walk away after loading up on the rings, and then shooting for a quick rebuilding cycle.

But we're not, we wound up with a single ring, and next year, once the Yankees add in another pitcher, the Red Sox make a few more moves, and Verlander, Zumaya, Miller, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Marte, Sizemore, Garko, and the whole other bunch get another year of experience, the AL and even just the Central is going to be even tougher, and it's only going to get tougher from there.

We simply can not afford to have guys like Jermaine Dye, Joe Crede, Mark Buehrle, Tad Iguchi, Freddy Garcia, and so on, walk away without receiving compensation. The only way that works is if we want to give up for a few years, fall well below .500, and pick up a few top-10 draft picks, which I don't consider to be a reasonable option.. And beyond that, we can't sign them all. We can sign some of them, but we need youth to replace the rest.

Some of these guys need to be moved for youth. We need to find ways to get a few inexpensive players in there so that we have the money to spend on the expensive ones. And trying to be sentimental, or just saying that because a guy put up a great season there's no possible way he should be moved even if he has only 1 year left on his contract is just an invitation to wind up with 1/2 of our team making $12 million a year and the other half filled with players who should be in AA.

But we're not, we wound up with a single ring, and next year, once the Yankees add in another pitcher, the Red Sox make a few more moves, and Verlander, Zumaya, Miller, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Marte, Sizemore, Garko, and the whole other bunch get another year of experience, the AL and even just the Central is going to be even tougher, and it's only going to get tougher from there.

I think our competition remains in the Central. We should have been able to beat out the Twins this year but we simply sucked

the second half.

The Tigers probably aren't going away and the Twins seem to be good every year.

The Royals already are competitive against us. Who's to say Cleveland doesn't rebound. Entering this past season

the Indians were expected to be good again.

We do have to make some changes or we're not going to make the playoffs again.

If we enter the season with the same roster as this year, we're out again.

So trade Pods, one of our starters, one of our young ofs or Fields and let KW do his magic.