Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
I love Burgos, and the Royals would be idiots to let him go.

That depends entirely on what they get back. Burgos has been up for a couple years now, so he's only what, a year or two away from hitting arbitration and having his cost go up?

With what the Twins, White Sox, Indians, and Tigers have, what are the odds the Royals will be able to be competitive in this division in either 2007 or 2008?

If I'm building the Royals, I target as many people as I can who are hanging around AA or so right now, so that they'll be hitting the big leagues in 2008/2009 (which just happens to be when their current draft picks might be ready also) Burgos maybe improves my team by a couple wins next year, but if I find quality minor leaguers now (like they did in the MMac deal), then maybe they can put together a complete team in a few years.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
He is 21 right now, and 2007 will be his third year. I understand the Royals aren't really close at all right now to being competitive, but there comes a point when you need to have some sort of blocks to build on, and Burgos certainly has the stuff to be that sort of block.

I think a starting rotation consisting of Hochevar, Lumsden, and Bannister may be a better foundation.

WGN Radio had a clip of Ozzie running his mouth about how Brandon is going to AAA, because he doesnt want to pitch out of the pen and he has no right to ask to pitch in the rotation. Ozzie needs to learn how to keep his top lip and his bottom lip together more. Ozzie must be getting twitchy now that KW might trade his relative.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
WGN Radio had a clip of Ozzie running his mouth about how Brandon is going to AAA, because he doesnt want to pitch out of the pen and he has no right to ask to pitch in the rotation. Ozzie needs to learn how to keep his top lip and his bottom lip together more. Ozzie must be getting twitchy now that KW might trade his relative.

bmac.jpg

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)

Ozzie can shut up. He needs to go back to AAA.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)

Ozzie is the Billy Martin of his generation. Maybe JR will fire him and then hire him again and then fire him and re-hire him...

Obviously that sensitivity/anger management training that was supposed to help Ozzie keep his mouth shut worked.

And someone accused me of making stuff up when I said Ozzie didn't like McCarthy. Sheesh.

What makes Ozzie more ridiculous is that McCarthy has only said in the press (I think on whitesox.com) that he'll do whatever the team asks him to, it's not like he's demanding to start.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
For Burgos?

That conversation wouldn't last long.

Well consider that we gave up Tyler Lumsden who most people would say would probably have better stuff than Broadway for Mike MacDougall who's had arm problems.

I think Kenny would seriously consider a Burgos for Broadway deal, IF, he could get some young starting pitching in say a deal with the Rangers or Mets for Garcia or Vazquez.

Burgos would be under our control for about 4 seasons as well,and he fits the Sox's mould of a hard throwing reliever (albeit his control needs work).

If McCarthy said this then I agree with Ozzie. A player with 1 year experience should not tell anyone what he should do. If you don't want to do the role we ask then the minors it is.

Hmmm;

The White Sox have displayed interest in Humberto Sanchez, but a source familiar with the Yankees' plans told MLB.com that Mark Buehrle probably wouldn't pry the young right-hander away.

White Sox GM Ken Williams would almost surely want more than Sanchez alone for Buehrle anyway. If the Yankees rank the former Tigers prospect that highly, there's little chance that he'll be on the move anytime soon.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Well consider that we gave up Tyler Lumsden who most people would say would probably have better stuff than Broadway for Mike MacDougall who's had arm problems.

I think Kenny would seriously consider a Burgos for Broadway deal, IF, he could get some young starting pitching in say a deal with the Rangers or Mets for Garcia or Vazquez.

Burgos would be under our control for about 4 seasons as well,and he fits the Sox's mould of a hard throwing reliever (albeit his control needs work).

The Macdougal deal was done in an effort to fortify our bullpen at midseason to make a postseason run. I can't see KW doing something like this in the offseason, as he has shown he is more apt to acquiring relievers on the cheap.

I think Broadway has shown enough in his short time with us that he can be a starter in this league within a year or 18 months. To deal him away for a shaky (and ANOTHER) hard-throwing righty wouldn't be worth that price in my eyes.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
I like the moves Moore is making thus far.

He is going to be an outstanding GM, if not already. He's making it a point to collect as many power arms as he can for their system since hard throwers are just far to expensive to acquire once they find success in the bigs.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
If McCarthy said this then I agree with Ozzie. A player with 1 year experience should not tell anyone what he should do. If you don't want to do the role we ask then the minors it is.

McCarthy said just the opposite- that he'd rather pitch out of the bullpen than go back to Charlotte. Ken W. is the one who said he will not allow McCarthy to pitch out of the bullpen next year.