Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

"If you don't have an everyday center fielder, your team isn't going to be that good," Guillen said.

He ruled out using utility player Rob Mackowiak in center next season.

"If you're switching center fielders one day after another, you're not strong enough to win," he said.

The Sox acknowledged their interest in reacquiring Aaron Rowand from the Phillies, who are seeking a starting pitcher.

A Sox source said the team also had some interest in the Devil Rays' Rocco Baldelli, who could solve problems in center and at the leadoff spot.

There is no doubt in my mind that Anderson will be packing his bags for somewhere else like Florida or Texas. Maybe he returns to AAA to show he can hit, but if there is a trade that interests KW, he is gone. He would just devalue his attractiveness to other general managers if he stayed on the Sox as a 4th outfielder. Many of us have expressed the opinion that he wasn't given a chance to establish any sort of rhythm this year. He may make another team very happy. The Sox will have a new center fielder in 2007 and I think that is what's best for both the Sox and Anderson.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston is certainly a team to consider if we're going to trade a SP, and I hadn't really thought of them. Here's some of their spects (reviewed by Sickels, grade was for the pre-season)

1) Jason Hirsh, RHP, Grade A-

10-2, 2.18 in 19 starts for Triple-A Round Rock, 102/46 K/BB in 115 innings with just four homers allowed. Nothing left to prove in the minors. An excellent pitching prospect.

2) Troy Patton, LHP, Grade B+

6-7, 3.12 in 18 starts for Class A Salem, 94/35 K/BB in 95 innings. Has pitched better lately after a slow start. Another strong prospect.

3) Hunter Pence, OF, B+

Hitting .295/.357/.563 with 20 doubles, 22 homers, and 12 steals for Double-A Corpus Cristi. Not much to complain about, doing very well.

10) Matt Albers, RHP, C+

Breakthrough: 10-2, 2.17 in 19 starts for Corpus Cristi, 95/47 K/BB in 116 innings, just 4 homers allowed. Command still needs some sharpening but a fine prospect.

11) Justin Towles, C, C+

Hitting .314/.387/.519 for Lexington with 10 steals. Very intriguing hitter.

Hirsh: Hirsh wasn't considered a top prospect out of high school, and ended up pitching for Cal Lutheran, a Division III college. The Astros picked him in the second round in 2003. He struggled in 2004, but made gigantic strides in '05, dominating the Double-A Texas League. Although he reportedly lacked confidence at times in '04, he was self-assured and aggressive on the mound last year. Scouts praise his work ethic.

Hirsh: Hirsh is huge at 6-8, 245. Despite his size, his velocity was quite mediocre until 2003, when maturity and mechanical adjustments boosted his fastball. He now works at a consistent 90-93 MPH. He has a plus slider, and has turned his changeup into an average pitch. Some scouts projected him as a reliever until 2005, due to concerns about his stamina, but he's proven quite durable as a starter. He wasn't abused in college and has a fresh arm.

Hirsh: Hirsh's control is unusually good for such a tall pitcher, reflected in an excellent K/BB ratio last year. His K/IP and H/IP were also above average, and in general there is little to nitpick in his '05 profile. His '04 numbers were much weaker, and it is true that his '05 home park was good for pitchers, but scouts believe his improvement was genuine.

Hirsh: Hirsh is more athletic than most players his size, and while it is possible he could pick up some additional velocity, it's not exactly likely give his age (24). He was born in February of 1982. He probably needs half a season of Triple-A before being ready for the majors, but he should be ready by '07.

Hirsh's main weakness is the fact that he didn't really blossom until he was 23, but in a way that is also a strength since it means his arm is fresh.

Burke had splits of .276/.347/.418 this season.

Now if the Astros don't re-sign Clemens, lose Pettite to the Yankees and Backe leaves, that's what 3 guys from their 2006 rotation that won't be there.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
There is no doubt in my mind that Anderson will be packing his bags for somewhere else like Florida or Texas. Maybe he returns to AAA to show he can hit, but if there is a trade that interests KW, he is gone. He would just devalue his attractiveness to other general managers if he stayed on the Sox as a 4th outfielder. Many of us have expressed the opinion that he wasn't given a chance to establish any sort of rhythm this year. He may make another team very happy. The Sox will have a new center fielder in 2007 and I think that is what's best for both the Sox and Anderson.

Fine, if it's best for the Sox, let him be an outstanding defender off the bench. Let his bat develop slowly. But I'll just say, if Anderson is traded (in a package, because there is no chance he's dealt in a 1-for-1 deal), the Sox better be getting a hell of a player back in return.

I still think Anderson is going to be Torii Hunter deux.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
I'll tell you what. I'm just going to walk away from this. It's not worth it.

Some people just need to hate something.

Also, as much as I like Anderson. For some reason I see Ryan Sweeney winning the CF job in ST this year.

Looks like the Sox may have been after John Lackey...

The Chicago White Sox are asking for starting pitcher John Lackey from the Los Angeles Angels, and not Ervin Santana, for third baseman Joe Crede, a high-ranking White Sox official said, but talks have stalled.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/20...-bargains_x.htm

From Rotoworld...

Winter Meetings Live

While I haven't seen Bonds yet, I did see Yankees pitching prospect Humberto Sanchez—who was acquired in the Gary Sheffield trade last month—strolling through the lobby Tuesday night. I thought his presence here was a little odd at the time and my interest was really piqued when reports surfaced that the Yankees might be shopping him to the White Sox for a veteran starter. Coincidence? Perhaps, because if New York is truly making headway with Andy Pettitte they no longer really need rotation help.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Well there's reports that the Yankees wouldn't even be willing to deal Sanchez straight up for Buehrle so those last 2 scenerios seem highly unlikley.

That report makes absolutely no sense to me though so I just can't believe that would be the case.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
KW will do his homework before trading for Farnsworth. I do not know from first hand knowledge, but I'm pretty sure I've read things here at Soxtalk that would make me very concerned about bringing him back to Chicago. He allegedly used to party a bit too much.

I plead ignorance to Melky. Would he be a nice addition to the Sox?

Farnsworth had some sort of chemical imbalance IIRC and it was diagnosed late in his tenure with the Cubs but I remember it was something similar to ADD and it kept him from being able to focus and since than he's taking medication to correct the problem.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Wait, Guillen concerning himself with OBP AND recognizing the failures of Scott Podsednik in such a capacity? It's really amazing to read such quotes. Especially in the wake of addressing Mackowiak's time in CF.

Atleast now I'm somewhat convinced he's capable of evaluating players beyond intagibles such as speed, clubhouse demeanor, or which hand a player bats with. Still have to work with him and McCarthy, though.

Ya, Ozzie pissed me off with his Bmac comments and than went out and made me very happy with his comments about Pods and a lot of other issues with the Sox last year. On a sidenote, if we get a guy to leadoff and find someone else for the 2 hole I really would be intrigued with Pods in the 9 spot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
That report makes absolutely no sense to me though so I just can't believe that would be the case.

Farnsworth had some sort of chemical imbalance IIRC and it was diagnosed late in his tenure with the Cubs but I remember it was something similar to ADD and it kept him from being able to focus and since than he's taking medication to correct the problem.

I've heard legendary stories of Farnsworth's partying here. I'd rather not have him on the Sox, as he seems like the type of guy who can never get the big out in a big game.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Hirsh and Burke for Freddy G + $$$ and/or a prospect or two (Phillips, Tracey). That'd work for me. Burke could play mainly LF in 2006 2007, and switch to 2B in 2007 2008. Hirsh, despite very mediocre peripherals, had one heckuva year in the PCL last year. 2.10 ERA, under seven hits per nine. Anyone have a scouting report? He doesn't look to be at the level of a Pelfrey, but I'd say he's probably a step above Broadway.

I know this looks fairly lopsided in our favor, getting six years of Hirsh and another three-four years of Burke, but as Flash said, I'm not looking for straight up equal value -- I want to make a killing! :)

Sorry Keith, but I think we get absolutely reamed in that deal. Hirsch isn't near the prospect I want if all we are getting in addition to him is Burke (who is a decent player but will never be anything great). Freddy Garcia has been great and could still be great so there is no way I'm dealing him without getting the possibility of greatness in return (meaning upper echelon spects that can help the team now, some of which could be moved to get the club its CFer).

QUOTE(GLOAD is GOD @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
The Sox are in the perfect situation to explore a three or four team deal, the problem is Kenny can never really create those.......Getting a team like Houston or the New york involved with a three-team trade may be the best way to net prospects like Hirsh or Pelfrey.

We got Colon in a 3 way deal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
Sorry Keith, but I think we get absolutely reamed in that deal. Hirsch isn't near the prospect I want if all we are getting in addition to him is Burke (who is a decent player but will never be anything great). Freddy Garcia has been great and could still be great so there is no way I'm dealing him without getting the possibility of greatness in return (meaning upper echelon spects that can help the team now, some of which could be moved to get the club its CFer).

I have to disagree with you here. Hirsh is a big time pitching prospect, and I doubt the Astros would give him up. Also, Burke is definitely in their future plans after 2007, so I don't think they'd give him up either. I'm more concerned that the deal would focus on Tavares, who is a bad player. An outfield with Pods and Tavares would be a disaster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
I have to disagree with you here. Hirsh is a big time pitching prospect, and I doubt the Astros would give him up. Also, Burke is definitely in their future plans after 2007, so I don't think they'd give him up either. I'm more concerned that the deal would focus on Tavares, who is a bad player. An outfield with Pods and Tavares would be a disaster.

I'm not saying Hirsch isn't a top prospect. He's the Astros' top prospect but there are other teams that are better matches. I am not trading Freddy unless we get some special prospects because I think he's going to have a hell of a season next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm not saying Hirsch isn't a top prospect. He's the Astros' top prospect but there are other teams that are better matches. I am not trading Freddy unless we get some special prospects because I think he's going to have a hell of a season next year.

On the other hand, if 88 mph Garcia shows up again, we just robbed the Astros of their best prospect. I honestly believe that KW is looking to acquire a young starting pitcher so that he can trade McCarthy also.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
On the other hand, if 88 mph Garcia shows up again, we just robbed the Astros of their best prospect. I honestly believe that KW is looking to acquire a young starting pitcher so that he can trade McCarthy also.

Ya I like the idea of getting a top prospect but McCarthy is very similar to Hirsch with one major exception, McCarthy has shown he can pitch a lot more innings (did so in the minors) and Hirsch has never shown that and has always been tagged with durability issues.

His numbers are filthy but his stuff isn't exactly what I'd call superior (hence why I compare him with Bmac in the first place). If I trade Freddy I look for power guys that can develop into aces because those are guys teams will always overpay for (if we do trade them later).

I just think if the club uses its leverage right we could finally pull things off with the Angels and than slide Mac to the Rays for Crawford (with the Sox giving up something else as well).

If Anderson is traded, Farnsworth becomes a valuable addition to the Sox to come out of the bullpen and kick the crap out of opposing pitchers throwing at AJ

I'd rather move one of our starters to the national league if possible. I'd much rather make Huston or the Mets better than improve the yanks or Angels. Burke intrigues me as a possible replacement for Iguchi if he leaves via free agency. No to traveras unless he is a throw in.

Per Ken Rosenthal - Foxsports.com

The Dodgers have landed the biggest free-agent pitching prize to date, reaching a preliminary agreement on a three-year, $47 million contract with right-hander Jason Schmidt, FOXSports.com has learned.

Schmidt, 33, chose the Dodgers over the Cardinals and Mariners, both of whom were seeking to add him to the top of their rotation.

Link

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6242312

Edited by gar102

Its a lot of money but at least your overpaying for a guy that when healthy is a cy young award type pitcher. Plus its only a 3 year deal so even if he stinks you'd be able to move him to somoene willing to take a chance on him figuring things out.

Dodgers are going to be pretty damn good, especially if they can move a couple prospects (and they got loads of them) for a bat like Manny.

QUOTE(gar102 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)

The Dodgers have landed the biggest free-agent pitching prize to date, reaching a preliminary agreement on a three-year, $47 million contract with right-hander Jason Schmidt, FOXSports.com has learned.

Schmidt, 33, chose the Dodgers over the Cardinals and Mariners, both of whom were seeking to add him to the top of their rotation.

Link

the money is crazy, I can't wait to see what Lily and Meche eventually get.

IMO big loss for the Cubs, they spend a ton on Soriano and haven't done anything to improve their roation. Now they'll probably have to give a ton to one of the two above mentioned pitchers so they at least have arms they can count on to give them innings and have major league experience.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
the money is crazy, I can't wait to see what Lily and Meche eventually get.

IMO big loss for the Cubs, they spend a ton on Soriano and haven't done anything to improve their roation. Now they'll probably have to give a ton to one of the two above mentioned pitchers so they at least have arms they can count on to give them innings and have major league experience.

If the Cubs can't upgrade that rotation, expect a lot of 11-9 games.

(Cubs lose, of course.)

QUOTE(gar102 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)

Link

Rotoworld is speculating that the Schmidt signing would allow LA to ship Brad Penny in a package to Boston for ManRam.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
well, one top pitcher down. hopefully zito will sign with someone soon and we can get a trade accomplished.

Either the Mets or the Rangers now will officially be looking for a top-of-the-rotation sort of guy, with the Cubs, Mariners, Angels, Padres, and a bunch of others on the outside.

Either you deal with Boras, or you deal with KW. Me Likey.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Either the Mets or the Rangers now will officially be looking for a top-of-the-rotation sort of guy, with the Cubs, Mariners, Angels, Padres, and a bunch of others on the outside.

Either you deal with Boras, or you deal with KW. Me Likey.

:D