Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:57 AM)
I agree this trade will not make any sense unless KW has something else up his sleeve. If not, this is pathetic that this is all he could get for one of our starters.

Which further illustrates how much of a disaster the Vazquez trade was.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Do you think any team is going to give up the farm in order to trade for him and give him a 3/40 million extension when his fastball is 88 mph?

On no planet should Floyd be starting in the AL.

I agree, everyone is jumping on this trade right now, but I'm sure once KW makes his next move, everyone will be back on board with the man.

You guys need to step back from the ledge for a second and realize that KW isn't just going to make a bad deal for no reason.

Hell IMO this is a fine deal if we can flip these guys for other talent or if it frees up money to get an extension done with Buehrle right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Cause at least we'd be getting a 4th outfielder that could help against LHP. This is a disasterous trade...Gavin Floyd stinks. I would have rather we keep Garcia and then risk losing him after this season.

I agree with ya there, he is a fourth outfielder.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
I dunno about "great". Like a 4.6 era, I think. Ton of strikeouts, young, first year at AA, so, not bad. But "great"?

True, but as you said, young. Very young for his league.

Eh, call me crazy, I'm not as pissed. I thought anyone posting Pelfrey plus packages for Garcia was absolutely nuts. These are two pretty good arms. If even one ends up giving us a league average year or more as a starter, it'll be tough for this not to be a win for the Sox.

And who knows... we save $10 million here, and it's not like the Sox need to cut back budget. Something else could be in the works. Maybe the Sox like Zito and want to make a play for him?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I'm not gonna pass judgement on this trade yet because it's too early.

On Floyd, his value is down yes, but KW and Coop have obviously seen something in him. He was a borderline top 10 prospect a couple of seasons back. He has good stuff, and the Sox must think they can fix ALA Matt Thornton.

If that happens, it's a real good trade for the Sox, because they could end up with 2 starters who could fixtures in the Sox's rotation for the next decade.

And that's IF they keep both of them. My guess is both are traded for Rocco Baldelli, who's available.

that would be bad. Two starting pitchers for an often injured outfielder?????

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
I have to think that a trade is on the horizon. The Phils would have been willing to trade Rowand instead of Gio, and Im presuming the only reason Kenny would say no is if he had another deal fro a CFer on the horizon. Rocco please.

I'd rather have Gio.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Do you think any team is going to give up the farm in order to trade for him and give him a 3/40 million extension when his fastball is 88 mph?

You're right. Base a pitcher's entire future on what 15 or so starts. He cannot possibly have a good career.

in offseason between 04 and 05 floyd was ranked as phillys #2 prospect behind ryan howard and ahead of hammels....

Background: Floyd was the first of three Mount St. Joseph High products selected in the 2001 draft, going fourth overall, one pick before Mark Teixeira and 21 rounds before his brother Mike. Gavin and Mike Floyd both signed days before they were to attend classes at South Carolina, with Gavin getting a club-record $4.2 million signing bonus. Though he was out of gas in September, he pitched well in his major league debut.

Strengths: Floyd’s 12-to-6 hammer curveball rates as one of the best in the minors and proved effective against major leaguers. His fastball sits at 89-90 mph, topping out at 94. His changeup has improved to a consistent solid-average pitch that’s a plus offering at times.

Weaknesses: Floyd’s velocity tailed off and his delivery was less consistent at the end of 2004. He must improve his stamina and lower-half strength. Floyd also needs to command his fastball better.

The Future: Floyd could make the 2005 rotation, but will return to Triple-A if he’s not ready. He projects as a No. 2 or 3 starter.

the year before he was behind hammels but ahead of howard....

Background: Floyd likely would rank as the top prospect in at least half the other organizations. He signed for a club-record $4.2 million as the fourth overall pick in 2001—one spot before fellow Mount St. Joseph High product Mark Teixeira—and the Phillies haven't regretted it. Philadelphia signed Gavin's older brother Mike, an outfield, as a 22nd-round pick out of the same draft.

Strengths: Floyd entered his pro career with two plus pitches, a 92-95 mph fastball with movement, and a shoulders-to-shoelaces hard curveball that rates a top-of-the-line 80 on the scouting scale at times. His main focus since has been developing a changeup, which now rates average and shows flashes of being better than that. Floyd works hard at improving his skills and shows above-average makeup.

Weaknesses: A longtime fan of Kevin Millwood, Floyd tried to emulate his idol’s deliberate delivery after watching him in spring training. It cost Floyd his rhythm and deceptiveness, and it took a month to remedy the problem. He was as good as ever thereafter before developing a tired arm late in the season. He must continue to hone his location and ability to repeat pitches, but he’s still ahead of most pitchers his age.

The Future: Floyd’s development is right on track. He'll move up to Double-A in 2004, and the pitching depth in the organization means the Phillies won't have to rush him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)

I understand Garcia's value wouldn't have given us much, but this is FAAARRR below what I'd expect. For all his velocity concerns, he's still durable; and you know his statistics will significantly improve upon arrival in the NL.

Here's my belief -- if this disgraceful package was truly the best available, why were we so willing to pull the trigger? Would Floyd and Gonzalez have not been available in January or February as well? Atleast then, perhaps his value would increase.

Not even Beck or Jphat can spin this trade. We're automatically losers. And I don't want to hear, "let's wait for another deal before commenting." No. I'm tired of these god damn trades where we're not supposed to look at it on its own, but in the context of something larger.