Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

Lilly is being called a star pitcher by the cubune FWIW.

This deal has another deal written all over it, its just I hate losing a deal like this. Given that these are now probably 2 nice arms in our system to compliment Haeger and Broadway, but still, this deal sucks bad.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
yeah, I didn't quite get that either, I just saw SPs getting snapped up for ridiculous prices (the Lily at 10 a year is insane, and Cubune and Levine can spin that all they want) I thought FG would be in more demand, but I guess the 1 year left killed his value a lot, he's a rent a player

This is a good point. I wonder if the high price for pitching actually hurt this deal. No one wanted to trade for Freddy knowing he will command at 12-15 mil to resign based on what Lilly recived.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Yep...next year is the last year in our "window". I was really hoping we'd go all out.

Not when he's pitching at Philly.

Fathom I am truly upset that this trade couldn't wait. Surely there were other options. This is truly horrible. We are a third place team right now. Nothing more, and this trade does not make us better, as KW always contends he must do. Floyd is a major project, and truly will have a hard time in the AL if he can reach the majors again. I could care less about GIO. Thought he was overrated to begin with. To me he is nothing more than Jim parque. I simply cannot believe this is the best we could get. By the way I can't see KW running into this free agent market so I am sure he will use ht emoney to pay crede this year. I suppose the rebuilding has begun.

There honestly needs to be more to this. Gio and Floyd are both attractive pitchers(yes Floyd still has value) and I'm thinking/hoping that Gio gets traded in another deal to get something back with Floyd then rounding out our pen for this year. The problem I really have is I wanted to get some top young arms back and I'm just not that high on Gio. Definitely not happy about this. Hopefully there is more to this. For the time being, Kenny has lost my trust.

EDIT: I kind of regret putting that last line in there. I'm not thrilled about what we got back obviously, but I still trust Kenny to make this team a contender, every year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
This is a good point. I wonder if the high price for pitching actually hurt this deal. No one wanted to trade for Freddy knowing he will command at 12-15 mil to resign based on what Lilly recived.

Exactlly, Why give up top prospects and then pay 12 mil a year to resign a pitcher when you can spend the money on a free agent and keep the players. I think most GM's would rather risk their cash then their prospects.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:34 AM)
Ah, Fathom back with his always over-the-top posts. Spectacular. You learn something every day, though -- apparently Soriano is worth 150 runs.

Once the Cubs sign Lofton and Floyd, their lineup is going to be very dangerous in the NL. As long as we have Uribe, Pods, and Anderson still in the lineup, my hopes for the offense aren't high.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we're getting Vernon Wells... :huh

if u r right and we get vernon and we resign him to a 5 yr deal then this deal is just fine. something else is coming....kenny is not a retard

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Once the Cubs sign Lofton and Floyd, their lineup is going to be very dangerous in the NL. As long as we have Uribe, Pods, and Anderson still in the lineup, my hopes for the offense aren't high.

And how many games would Lofton and Floyd actually play for the Cubs?

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Fathom I am truly upset that this trade couldn't wait. Surely there were other options. This is truly horrible. We are a third place team right now. Nothing more, and this trade does not make us better, as KW always contends he must do. Floyd is a major project, and truly will have a hard time in the AL if he can reach the majors again. I could care less about GIO. Thought he was overrated to begin with. To me he is nothing more than Jim parque. I simply cannot believe this is the best we could get. By the way I can't see KW running into this free agent market so I am sure he will use ht emoney to pay crede this year. I suppose the rebuilding has begun.

Wow, if TQ came out to say crap about this trade, it REALLY makes me worse off. Ugh, come on Kenny. In an offseason where the flubs make some moves (not good ones) we make an even worse one, jesus.