Twins expect Santana gone by 2008, per paper

beck72

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
Seeing as how the Sox will likely not even make an offer to either player, I'd love to see them hire Boras. Scott loves to promote his clients, imagine the portfolio he could put together for Santana.

Basically, if he got Zito $18 mill, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him get Santana $30-35 mill per. And I don't put the Yankees and Red Sox as the automatic favorites, because in a sweepstakes where any team with any money at all is looking at said player as a possibility, there are no favorites to land a player. The Yankees and Red Sox can bid against each other all they want to, but there are probably 10 other teams who have the resources to put to use, and if they are smart, they'll realize it.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
Johan is one of the few players I wouldn't mind the Sox overpaying for.

Just so we are clear...in this instance, overpay is 25% of the payroll for 8 years in a row.

I'd love the Sox to get him, but it's just a horrible risky business decision that the front office has shied away from in the past 7-8 years, and with good reason too.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Basically, if he got Zito $18 mill, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him get Santana $30-35 mill per. And I don't put the Yankees and Red Sox as the automatic favorites, because in a sweepstakes where any team with any money at all is looking at said player as a possibility, there are no favorites to land a player. The Yankees and Red Sox can bid against each other all they want to, but there are probably 10 other teams who have the resources to put to use, and if they are smart, they'll realize it.

Just so we are clear...in this instance, overpay is 25% of the payroll for 8 years in a row.

I'd love the Sox to get him, but it's just a horrible risky business decision that the front office has shied away from in the past 7-8 years, and with good reason too.

LOL. C'mon now, wite.

A precursor to this will be what Carlos Zambrano gets next offseason as I beleive he is a FA. He will be 26. Is there anyone that can be compared to him recently for his age. He can blow out his arm next year and get a Zito contract.

Wanna win the WS every year. Sign he and Santana. Your bullpen gets a rest two of every five starts.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
A precursor to this will be what Carlos Zambrano gets next offseason as I beleive he is a FA. He will be 26. Is there anyone that can be compared to him recently for his age. He can blow out his arm next year and get a Zito contract.

Wanna win the WS every year. Sign he and Santana. Your bullpen gets a rest two of every five starts.

Yeahhhh..No. If Zambrano blew out his arm next year, he wouldnt be getting Zito money. And if anyone would be able to afford Zambrano AND Santana, they wouldnt have much money to put elsewhere.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 07:57 AM)
Yeahhhh..No. If Zambrano blew out his arm next year, he wouldnt be getting Zito money. And if anyone would be able to afford Zambrano AND Santana, they wouldnt have much money to put elsewhere.

Unless they're in Boston or New York.

The mere existence of the no-trade clause, along with the fact that he's taken mild discounts, suggests he enjoys his time in Minnesota quite a bit, and the organization gets on well with him. They bought a firetruck for his hometown together, so I imagine he'd like to stay for the remainder of his contract.

Of course he'd leave if they were offering him such a massive extension but I'm pretty sure he isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
The mere existence of the no-trade clause, along with the fact that he's taken mild discounts, suggests he enjoys his time in Minnesota quite a bit, and the organization gets on well with him. They bought a firetruck for his hometown together, so I imagine he'd like to stay for the remainder of his contract.

Of course he'd leave if they were offering him such a massive extension but I'm pretty sure he isn't going anywhere.

The only thing the Twins could do which would hurt their baseball team more than letting Santana walk for only draft pick compensation would be to just contract the damn team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
The only thing the Twins could do which would hurt their baseball team more than letting Santana walk for only draft pick compensation would be to just contract the damn team.

I know they can't afford to keep him past his contract but I really doubt, for a variety of reasons, that he leaves Minnesota early.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Injuries and payroll sir, injuries and payroll. When you dump a huge portion of your salary into one person, especialy 1 pitcher (when you need 5 starters), if there's an injury, you don't recover from it.

This guy is potentially the best pitcher EVER. He's only one starter, yes, but down the stretch he is as automatic as anyone has ever been. The Sox consistently fail down the stretch as any team anywhere. How do you stop that? Get a stopper. Johan Santana is the best you can get. This guy is worth 25 mil/year.

The salaries, especially for pitchers, in this year's free agent class have been jaw-dropping by anyone's estimation, and that's with a mediocre crop of players. Next year's group will be much more talented and will draw even more insane offers. The WS organization is on record that they ain't going to join in the orgy. Satana will not be with us.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
The salaries, especially for pitchers, in this year's free agent class have been jaw-dropping by anyone's estimation, and that's with a mediocre crop of players. Next year's group will be much more talented and will draw even more insane offers. The WS organization is on record that they ain't going to join in the orgy. Satana will not be with us.

The Sox have complained about the cost of mediocrity. Santana does not apply to that statement. I can see the Sox signing Santana to a huge contract.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 14, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
The Sox have complained about the cost of mediocrity. Santana does not apply to that statement. I can see the Sox signing Santana to a huge contract.

I highly doubt the White Sox spend 20million+ on any one player, particularly a pitcher, per year. No way do I think this happens.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 14, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)

This sentiment rings true for me. The biggest names, like ARod, get the attention of Kenny et al. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox made serious overtures toward Johan. Sadly though, in the end, they will likely get outbid. The thought of him ending up with the Evil Empire makes me sick. At least I can say I've survived that nautious feeling many times before.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)

I honestly believe that the prices will stay the same, its just the talent will improve for the costs. This year the talent pool was so thin, thats contracts had to be outrageous to even score a player. If there is a more saturated talent pool, i think the contracts arent quite as outrageous.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
I'd give 24 mil a year to Santana. He's just that studly. I do think however, that the Sox won't sign him. Kenny will inquire and hell, the Sox might be one of the last three teams bidding on him, but then they'll get outbid by a ton.

Hell, I'd do $30 million a year...if you could get him for a 2 or 3 year deal. The risk in all these deals is the length.