Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
Car got broken into last night.

Step 1. filed police report.

Then what? Call the insurance company? What type of insurance do I need have my $300 radar detector covered for?

Who fixes my glass? I was told to go to a car dealership, but then I heard people can come to your work an do it.

sorry to hear about your car.

you need comprehensive insurance. it may or may not cover stolen property, depends on the policy. call your insurance company and they'll help you out. usually your insurance company will have a list of companies that they certify, or authorize, or whatever they call it, where they will just pay the bill, minus deductible. there are about three or four companies around here that will come out to you and replace the windshield. i don't know about door windows though, I've never needed to get that fixed.

Edited by fullcollapse

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what? Call the insurance company? What type of insurance do I need have my $300 radar detector covered for?

Who fixes my glass? I was told to go to a car dealership, but then I heard people can come to your work an do it.

If they're illegal, are they covered?

They guys that come to your work fix chips and small cracks. Big business here in Illinois with all the construction work.

The radar detector will vary based on your policy and how it was mounted. They sometimes will have exclusions for after market accessories. You also will have to pay your deductible, which in many policies is different, and separate, from the glass.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 05:24 AM)
Then with proof of cost and after your deductable they should cut you a check.

The other question you need to ask is what the deductable is. If your losses are close to that number, its not worth filing a claim. Most people have a $500 deductable, so the $300 detector plus about $200 for a window and install would really mean you shouldn't file a claim.

Had mine broken into at U of I, it's such a pain in the ass afterwards. Hope you didn't lose a ridiculous amount of stuff.

Once i had the police report, I called the insurance company and got all that figured out. They directed me to an estimate place when i got home (for the car damage) and then we talked about stolen property. Like Steff said you'll need proof of cost for stuff that is gone, and they should be able to figure out the rest from there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
I love skim milk, always have I don't know what it is but the stuff is just so damn good. I can't stand 2%, it's like drinking cream. Disgusting.

I just thought you'd like to know this.

I am the exact same way. I can live with 1% but anything more than that is just ewww to me. Skim Milk with a little nesquick = the best.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
I am the exact same way. I can live with 1% but anything more than that is just ewww to me. Skim Milk with a little nesquick = the best.

Anything more than 2% seems like it would be breast milk.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The radar detector will vary based on your policy and how it was mounted. They sometimes will have exclusions for after market accessories. You also will have to pay your deductible, which in many policies is different, and separate, from the glass.

Yep, therefore it wasn't covered in my insurance, and I would need comprehensive insurance to pay for it anyways.

However, if I had a homeowner's or renter's insurance, they would cover the aftermarket product. My sister's deductible for her homeowner insurance is the same as my car ($1000,) so I didn't file a claim.

I didn't look around too much for the best price, but through the internet I had someone come to my work and fix it in about 45 minutes for just under $200.

This sucks. I guess it's actually pretty common out here for this kind of crap. :angry:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
Yep, therefore it wasn't covered in my insurance, and I would need comprehensive insurance to pay for it anyways.

However, if I had a homeowner's or renter's insurance, they would cover the aftermarket product. My sister's deductible for her homeowner insurance is the same as my car ($1000,) so I didn't file a claim.

I didn't look around too much for the best price, but through the internet I had someone come to my work and fix it in about 45 minutes for just under $200.

This sucks. I guess it's actually pretty common out here for this kind of crap. :angry:

I was hoping to be wrong. At one time, you could write off the loss on your taxes. I'm not certain if that is still the case.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
Didn't the last time this get brought up we were treated to a treatise on vacuums and how the dyson loses its effectiveness quickly based on the fact that its plastic?

I wasn't part of that convo, but based on using it daily for the past 2 weeks, that would be a false assesment.

Wow, I was listening to Goldfinger's version of that song three minutes after you posted that. What are the odds?

Actually, it finished playing 3 minutes after, so it was playing while you posted it.

Edited by Tmar