Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Brand New "Daisy" is not what I expected, but in a good way. I am glad they are not staying formulaic and have tried something a little different. Vices surprised the s*** out of me

I also checked out Creeper Lagoon on a whim, and I like what I hear. Dead Mans Saloon is a cool song

I only listened to the album one time through but I wasnt really feeling it. A couple decent songs, I dont know I think it might grow on me but I would give it a thumbs down after one time through.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
The new Basement Jaxx album is, in my opinion, a disappointment.

to say the least. But I guess I was just done with them after I hated the last album.

Missin 2003 about now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I saw him up at school last September, He really puts on a great show. What was his set-list like?

It was mostly newer stuff (post Ben Folds Five), and he played a lot of the hits. He also previewed three new songs (one of which was the first time he's ever played live), and they were really good, so I'm excited for the next album. Apparently, novelist Nick Hornby is writing the lyrics for the next Folds album, and then he's putting them to music.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
A Dream, The Watcher 2, '03 Bonne & Clyde, The Bounce, I Did It My Way, Diamonds Is Forever, Meet The Parents, Blueprint 2 are collectively better than What We Talkin' About, DOA, Run This Town, Empire State of Mind, A Star is Born, and Hate. You're right though, Jay turns 40 this year.

It wasn't anywhere as good as Your Favorite Weapon, Deja Entendu(all-time favorite), or Raging.

Kingdom Come had a bunch of known producers. Only one who was semi unknown was Dj Khalil and maybe one or two other producers. It had Chris Martin, Just Blaze, Dr. Dre on there. In fact, the beats were superb on that album. I also thought it was underrated, but I could see why. The only tracks that I can listen to on repeat are Lost Ones, Trouble, Dig A Hole, Minority Report(very underrated song) and Beach Chair(very very underrated).

American Gangster completely lost me though. Only hot tracks on there to me are Pray, Roc Boys(And The Winner Is), and Ignorant S***. Rest of the album was trash. Jay has always been production driven to me though. I don't think I've ever heard a song with a wack beat that was good of his. He's not that type of artist and he's always ensured he's worked with the best producers. Again, where he's failing nowadays are the beats, and then trying to be witty, but most of the time failing like Blockbuster.

Jay certainly doesn't need my support, but I find most of his music very boring, mostly because I don't care about lyrics. To me, hip hop works best where the music is as good as or better than the words and a lot of today's hip hop (Jay included) it seems like the music is an afterthought. I don't care about "Flow" or "Rhymes" or whatnot - just don't get in the way of a good beat or production.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Jay certainly doesn't need my support, but I find most of his music very boring, mostly because I don't care about lyrics. To me, hip hop works best where the music is as good as or better than the words and a lot of today's hip hop (Jay included) it seems like the music is an afterthought. I don't care about "Flow" or "Rhymes" or whatnot - just don't get in the way of a good beat or production.

So you don't like the rap in rap music....

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
to say the least. But I guess I was just done with them after I hated the last album.

Missin 2003 about now.

It's hit and miss. I didn't realize Yoko guested on the album so I gave it a second listen and its starting to grow on me. I think I missed the Yoko/Basement Jaxx track because it's a cut.

There are probably four or five really good tracks.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
So you don't like the rap in rap music....

No, I like the rap, but with early artists like LL Cool J, Public Enemy, & early NWA, the music was every bit as good as the lyrics. Where would those artists be with today's average production instead of Rick Rubin, the Bomb Squad, or Dr. Dre?? Or Gang Starr with DJ Premier..... that's the stuff that is in short supply today.

To each their own I guess. Personally, I think today's culture has gotten too enamored with the production. It has to be something can vibe too and the lyrics are put on the backburner. I think Joe Budden's put it best on 5th Gear.

"The game used to make ya sell your soul, not it gotta come with a dance."

That's not to say, production is weak. To me, part of the instrument are the lyrics. It's as important as a strong bass line, or crazy melody. We need both, and nowadays, especially, it's only one.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
BTW, sorry MHIZZLE, I just heard from my girlfriend, tour was cancelled. No reason given. It's all over the news outlets now.

Man whats up with these cancellations. First BTNH canceled their concert here/moved it back, and now this tour. It's not looking good toward the ending 2009 year. :(

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
BTW, sorry MHIZZLE, I just heard from my girlfriend, tour was cancelled. No reason given. It's all over the news outlets now.

Its gonna be "Kanye in Rehab"

book it

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
Yes, because Kanye is the bats*** insane one of the two.

Im not saying Lady Gaga is normal or sane. I just read recently that he was supposed to head to rehab AFTER the tour anyways. They probably just decided that letting him party for 34 tour dates before heading to rehab probably wasnt the best idea if they actually wanted him to become rehabilitated.

But I am also seeing the rumors that it was Gaga who pulled out of the tour, so who knows

Edited by KyYlE23