Brian Anderson's Injury

Looks like good news:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Center fielder Brian Anderson insisted his right ankle was fine after limping to first base on a grounder for the second out of the ninth in a loss to the Angels.

Anderson said he initially rolled the ankle during batting practice and then aggravated it in his last at-bat while taking a hard swing and miss that caused him to tumble.

Anderson barely attempted to run to first after getting jammed by Alex Serrano.

"It freaked me out. When I went out of the box, I told myself I'll take the out because I don't want to do anything stupid," Anderson said.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
That, right there, gives us one of the worst defensive outfields that I can remember in years. Mercy!

Well...at least the good news is we don't have Soriano in CF. Or Mackowiak.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
Looks like good news:

Anderson will still start the season on the DL. Just watch. That way, we can be sure to get Terrero AB's at AAA.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Sweeney, however, can play above average D in CF. Also, he has just been having a bad spring. You can't tell me his last 3 spring trainings were flukes. Especially his first one when he was only 19.

And if Ryan Sweeney is dominanting AAA this year, which I expect he will be, and we are having CF problems, why not stick him out there in CF?

Actually, yea, the 19 year old one was more than likely a fluke. Sweeney doesn't have it figured out yet, and he'll be better off improving in that bandbox.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
He keeps jumping back at every strike over the inside part of the plate and the opposition is beginning to pound him inside pitch after pitch.

Kinda sounds like Frank Thomas his last 6 or so years with the Sox.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
Kinda sounds like Frank Thomas his last 6 or so years with the Sox.

Frank Thomas at his worst could still make an adjustment inside if not injured. Or show patience at the plate and wait for a mistake.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the organization is very "careful" with Anderson's injury. The decision has probably already been made concerning his future. Now it's time to milk this incident for all its worth.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Looks like good news:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Center fielder Brian Anderson insisted his right ankle was fine after limping to first base on a grounder for the second out of the ninth in a loss to the Angels.

Anderson said he initially rolled the ankle during batting practice and then aggravated it in his last at-bat while taking a hard swing and miss that caused him to tumble.

Anderson barely attempted to run to first after getting jammed by Alex Serrano.

"It freaked me out. When I went out of the box, I told myself I'll take the out because I don't want to do anything" Anderson said.

Lazy Primadonna

It's pretty much my fault for turning another thread (this one) into a Erstad bash/Anderson "love" (I use quotes because it isn't really love, just that we want him to get more respect from the organization). I'll stop with the Erstad bashing for a bit. I think I've become an annoying broken record.

All this talk about the Anderson being so much better at CF than Erstad is confusing me a bit. I look at Erstad's career stats in CF:

454 games

4 errors

.997 FP

What is so bad about that? I figured this would be a good place to ask this questions since all you know so much more than Ozzie and KW. Maybe I'll send Ozzie a link to this site so hopefully he can realize before 4/2 that he sucks and doesn't know what players to take up north. It's not like the guy ever won a world series. Anyone know KW's email? He doesn't know anything either, how could he give up Carlos Lee, and sign such a clubhouse cancer such as AJ.

Crazy just crazy!

QUOTE(HeGone33 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 02:53 AM)
All this talk about the Anderson being so much better at CF than Erstad is confusing me a bit. I look at Erstad's career stats in CF:

454 games

4 errors

.997 FP

What is so bad about that? I figured this would be a good place to ask this questions since all you know so much more than Ozzie and KW. Maybe I'll send Ozzie a link to this site so hopefully he can realize before 4/2 that he sucks and doesn't know what players to take up north. It's not like the guy ever won a world series. Anyone know KW's email? He doesn't know anything either, how could he give up Carlos Lee, and sign such a clubhouse cancer such as AJ.

Crazy just crazy!

Yes ,it is understood that Erstad will catch the ball when its hit to him,but BA will cover much more ground than Erstad.Erstad was never a speed burner and he has lost a step from that.And its not like Pods is a guy that can take away the doubles in the gap.BA can do that.From a defensive standpoint you cant actually think Erstad has the tools that BA has no matter what his FP is.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 03:11 AM)
Yes ,it is understood that Erstad will catch the ball when its hit to him,but BA will cover much more ground than Erstad.Erstad was never a speed burner and he has lost a step from that.And its not like Pods is a guy that can take away the doubles in the gap.BA can do that.From a defensive standpoint you cant actually think Erstad has the tools that BA has no matter what his FP is.

Well appearently enough ground was covered in 05 when ARow was out there. And im not saying Erstad is ARow, but according to Soxtalk, ARow is no BA.

And im well aware that BA can cover more ground and probably has better tools but to me its not such a drastic drop off that everyone makes it out to be, like one that will cost us in the long haul of a season.

I've been arguing this all week, and for those that enjoy watching BA in CF, I hope you enjoyed that fantastic swing he had at the plate today.

Edited by HeGone33

I think what you're missing is that most of us want Erstad in the OF, no question. But we think that an Erstad/BA/Dye OF is above and beyond better than Pods/Erstad/Dye.

It takes a bit of pressure off Erstad up the middle, and Pods is atrocious out in LF. I don't think anyone here, except maybe the occasional blind one, would want Pods over Erstad in LF. The whole talk centers around us not really wanting to throw Mr. Bad Jump himself out in Left.

I was disappointed with Brian's AB in the 5th. After an Iguchi ground out, Cintron singled, bringing Brian to the plate. Called strike, called strike, swinging strike. Ouch.

Next inning Ozuna singles, Erstad grounds out 4-3 advancing the runner. They pitch around Thome and Ernie Young plates Ozuna with a single. Both Anderson and Erstad went 0 for the afternoon but the veteran player made a contribution. All this against Carrasco.

I know this is just a snap shot but I saw the same thing over and over and over with Brian last year. He's got wonderful tools; he's a superior athlete to Erstad, but needs to sharpen that apparently dull tool between his ears. The way he plays the game, he'd have to hit 50 points higher than the next guy to equal him in game winning value. If he could develop some moxie, combined with his defense, you could win with him hitting .220. He needs to learn how to do the appropriate baseball thing at the appropriate baseball time.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 08:27 AM)
I was disappointed with Brian's AB in the 5th. After an Iguchi ground out, Cintron singled, bringing Brian to the plate. Called strike, called strike, swinging strike. Ouch.

Next inning Ozuna singles, Erstad grounds out 4-3 advancing the runner. They pitch around Thome and Ernie Young plates Ozuna with a single. Both Anderson and Erstad went 0 for the afternoon but the veteran player made a contribution. All this against Carrasco.

I know this is just a snap shot but I saw the same thing over and over and over with Brian last year. He's got wonderful tools; he's a superior athlete to Erstad, but needs to sharpen that apparently dull tool between his ears. The way he plays the game, he'd have to hit 50 points higher than the next guy to equal him in game winning value. If he could develop some moxie, combined with his defense, you could win with him hitting .220. He needs to learn how to do the appropriate baseball thing at the appropriate baseball time.

Agreed. The biggest issue I have with Brian AAAnderson is that 'seemingly' empty space between his ears. Show me what you can do when the pressure is on -- not in garbage time -- and then I'll believe in you. BA hasn't ever been able to do that.

Not to pile on, but I agree with you about BA consistently blowing it in the clutch. I can't tell you how many times last year he was a rally-killer. We used to hit the head when he came up because we knew he was a guaranteed out.

Not sure how you fix that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
1. August 26th, 2005. :)

2. Just give it a little more than 400 AB's. I'm not saying you have to "Buy Into" Anderson, but just give it a little more time. If you didn't, your opinion of Konerko-Garland-Crede would probably be pretty bad.

What's funny about all of this is that was I was a HUGE BA defender all last season, constantly arguing in his favor over Rowand. Most of my friends liked Rowand over Anderson, I did not, and still do not.

Anderson just doesn't seem to have what Crede or Kong had even when they were getting beat...not sure what it is, just a feeling I get. Anderson looks like a deer in headlights at the plate -- where it seemed like Konerko or Crede were simply getting fooled by good pitching or having a flaw in their swing exploited, where Anderson simply looks like he's afraid at the ML level for some reason...

Another thing, Walk working with AAAnderson all off-season...you know, you'd think that you'd see these "weaknesses" in his approach at the plate BEFORE he hits the majors. All those years in the minors, you'd think one of our experts would have noticed. Basically, he has 20 years of improper technique working agaisnt him now if we are to put any stock in these 'adjustments' they had him make this offseason. Not sure what you think, but IMO 20 years of bad habits will not be shed in a single offseason. This is something they should have noticed a LONG time ago...not just last year.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
didnt Crede just finally adjust his "bad habits" last off-season.... and he is in his upper 20's.....

Still, like I said, Crede never appeared afraid at the plate IMO, Anderson does...not sure why that is.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Not to pile on, but I agree with you about BA consistently blowing it in the clutch. I can't tell you how many times last year he was a rally-killer. We used to hit the head when he came up because we knew he was a guaranteed out.

Not sure how you fix that.

Well to be fair he got out in every situation last year, not just important ones.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
Still, like I said, Crede never appeared afraid at the plate IMO, Anderson does...not sure why that is.

I don't think that's true. When Crede first made the big leagues, he seemed to be pretty overwhelmed at the plate and not very aggressive to me (and that's not criticism -- I can't even imagine what it's like to try to hit at the big league level). I think that's probably how a lot of players are early in their careers. Lots of players have recovered from terrible starts in the bigs, and lots of players haven't. At this point, I think its too early to write Anderson off. Given the health problems of Pods and Erstad, I'd hope the Sox don't ship BA off just yet.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
I don't think that's true. When Crede first made the big leagues, he seemed to be pretty overwhelmed at the plate and not very aggressive to me (and that's not criticism -- I can't even imagine what it's like to try to hit at the big league level). I think that's probably how a lot of players are early in their careers. Lots of players have recovered from terrible starts in the bigs, and lots of players haven't. At this point, I think its too early to write Anderson off. Given the health problems of Pods and Erstad, I'd hope the Sox don't ship BA off just yet.

I can agree with that. Anderson has all the making of a superstar -- a all-star type CF. He just needs to put it together and do what we all know he can do. I want nothing more than Anderson to succeed, we already know what he offers on the defensive side of the game...now if he can put it together, he's a star...I'm not quite ready to write him off yet...but he's trying my patience, because we KNOW what he's capable of offensivly.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 19, 2007 -> 02:43 AM)

the august before crede tore it up one september i think 03 maybe, crede was up in bases loaded situations seemingly everyday and kept popping it up to ss. I remember one game i attended he had two such situations and the same thing happened.