Alford to New Mexico?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Funny and ballsy, in my opinion. :P

Most fan bases would be luving it and eating it up if they had that kind of coach doing something goofy like that.

ala bobby valentine and the mets

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 24, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Funny and ballsy, in my opinion. :P

Most fan bases would be luving it and eating it up if they had that kind of coach doing something goofy like that.

Yep, I thought it was an awesome thing for Pearl to do.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Pearl reportedly turned them down this morning.

no pearl

a lot was made about the big ten not wanting pearl, but i always thought pearl wouldn't want to come back. if he did he'd be forced to dredge up the past and i'm sure he's not really interested in doing that.

I'm an Iowa fan, and I'm a Majerus fan -- You can dig through the archives here to find my story about watching the 2000 NCAA Championship with him -- but I don't want him coaching my basketball team.

The Hawks are going to suck for a coupla few years once the dust settles and guys transfer out and decommitt. And once that happens, Majerus will either be dead or at the very least done coaching again, putting them back in the same position looking for a new head coach.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
I'm an Iowa fan, and I'm a Majerus fan -- You can dig through the archives here to find my story about watching the 2000 NCAA Championship with him -- but I don't want him coaching my basketball team.

The Hawks are going to suck for a coupla few years once the dust settles and guys transfer out and decommitt. And once that happens, Majerus will either be dead or at the very least done coaching again, putting them back in the same position looking for a new head coach.

I'm an Iowa alum and like Majerus a lot but I don't want him coaching the Hawkeyes either. I agree the next couple of seasons don't look too promising, but that could change quickly with some decent recruits. The problem I have is he quit Utah and had health problems there. He quit after 1 day USC saying he was physically unable to work the 16 hour days he works when coaching. His weight has been mentioned to be at least 370 but I have heard he has lost some. He's 59 years old, and I would be willing to bet his body is a very old 59. Giving him a coaching job may be doing him a disservice. Forget if he could last 4 or 5 years, He could have something serious happen to him at any moment. Keep him in his stress-free environment of color commentary. Hire Lon Kruger.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
Heh, the U of I hospitals might have had an impact.

The scuttlebutt is he wants to bring BJ Armstrong onto the staff.

That's fine with me then. IMO, the stipulation on Majerus is that he has to bring his heir apparent allong with him. There's no way that he can sell recruits that he'll be healthy and able to coach 4-5 years from now. He has to have a vibrant, young, up-and-comer that he can sell as the guy who will take over when he inevitably goes to that big hoagie stand in the sky.

Armstrong's NBA career as an exec was altered when Jerry went with Pax instead of him in an attempt to cut ties with Jerry Krause, who had positioned BJ as the guy to take over when he stepped down/hoagie stand'd it. He's bounced around as a scout since then, correct? Or did he end up under Dumars in Detroit?

BJ as an associate head coach/heir apparent/recruiting coordinator with Majerus as head coach for 2-5 years is probably the best situation for the Hawks right now.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
Hmm, the SIU coach is the one saying "no comment".

I imagine Row would knife himself.

Actually, C-lo's deal is close to being done to stay at SIU! Reported deal is between $600-$700 thousand. THANK GOD!

Also, Dana Altman from Creighton is the front runner in the Iowa job.