Opening Day: White Sox vs. Indians, 4/2/07 (L)

Steve9347

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
Can we just pretend this game never happend?

Contreras lolz

It's only spring trai......

Oh.

Contreras sure didn't pitch like our ace. Considering how well he has pitched these last two years beginning the season, we may be in a LOT of trouble if the other starters (such as Garland) don't immediately take off.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
The Count couldnt pitch inside today at all. Garland needs to attack the zone early and often on wed. AAArdsma proved that throwing strikes is not necessary to shut down the tribe.

Aardsma didn't prove that....when the game is out of hand, any team is just going to start swinging at anything. If the game was closer, I'm sure the Indians would have been more patient at the plate. Every single Indians player over the last 7 innings of that game was trying to hit their first homer of the year (besides Sizemore).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Anyone want to bet that JC is on the disabled list before the end of April?

Actually, the worst case scenario is that the Sox keep pushing him out to mound. It would probably be better if he just broke down and ended up the DL.

I know this will sound like hyperbole, but this was the first time I saw Contreras pitch this year and he looks done. Just like the end of last season, whatever problem he has with leg/back are preventing him from locating, and I've never seen his fastball so hittable. Considering he's upwards of 70 years old, I don't expect much improvement.

His contract is going to be an albatross.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Actually, the worst case scenario is that the Sox keep pushing him out to mound. It would probably be better if he just broke down and ended up the DL.

I know this will sound like hyperbole, but this was the first time I saw Contreras pitch this year and he looks done. Just like the end of last season, whatever problem he has with leg/back are preventing him from locating, and I've never seen his fastball so hittable. Considering he's upwards of 70 years old, I don't expect much improvement.

Um...hitless? This is the first time he's pitched this year. In anything meaningful anyway.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
I've never seen his fastball so hittable.

That's because he kept falling behind in the count, was forced to throw it, and the hitters knew exactly what was coming. I have no idea if he's playing through an injury or not, but it would seem strange that his back would act up so early in the season. And his stuff was fine (speed, movement), so I wouldn't say that he's "done" just yet.

He's only under contract for one more year.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
Um...hitless? This is the first time he's pitched this year. In anything meaningful anyway.

I just meant I hadn't seen him in any spring training games. As meaningless as they are, if I had seen him pitch well there I might be less concerned...

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
That's because he kept falling behind in the count, was forced to throw it, and the hitters knew exactly what was coming. I have no idea if he's playing through an injury or not, but it would seem strange that his back would act up so early in the season. And his stuff was fine (speed, movement), so I wouldn't say that he's "done" just yet.

Contreras is signed through 2009

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)

Why do I even make the Contract Sheet if no one is going to use it?

Just got back from the game, that was rough to say the least. Jose was a mess and got thoroughly boo'ed off the field. I feel OK with how our relief pitching went though, to be honest, and I'm happy to see 5 runs on the Sox end, v. a starting lefty.

The new make your own T-shirt stand is flippin awesome. I already bought one (grey, with the Chicago script on the front like an away jersey, w/AJ's name and number on the back) and will likely buy more as the season goes on. The other changes to the park look very nice as well and I dig the new opening montage on the jumbotron.

A bummer of a game, that's for damn sure, but to me, the whole team didn't completely bite the dust, so I'm not quite as depressed about it as I'd normally be.

Edited by soxfansince04

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
Why do I even make the Contract Sheet if no one is going to use it?

I was thinking that it was through '08 for some reason. My bad.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)

And how does that make him a financial albatross?

Edited by WCSox

Everything suggests Contreras is in good shape. From the Spring, unless something dramatic happened.

I just think he got caught in between on his angles, had some trouble getting his breaking balls over and lost his focus. I imagine he'll be fine next time out. I hope so, anyway.

Besides the fact that Jose's splitter wasn't splitting and he was hitting his spots with the fastball, JC looked great! I am actually not too worried about it, as JC seems to be in great shape and he did have some decent stuff at some points today. I am looking and hoping for him to rebound next week.

Well, that sucked. At least the weather held out.

Contreras? Yikes. Off day--I'll give him a pass.

Our offense was anemic.

I'm not worried--we have 161 games left.

Observations:

-The jet flyover was awesome

-I thought Nancy Faust was gone--I could swear there was organ going the whole game

-Erstad? Nice!

-When Jose was like at 54 pitches after two innings we all were asking "Who's the middle reliever?" None of us could answer that. Who is the middle reliever?

-The green seats look great!

-The beer at the stand did not change price.

-You could tell people were bored out of their minds halfway into it because the concourse was packed.

-The latest from Jimbo's: April 9th court date, but nobody there (I asked) is holding out any hope they'll survive this court appearance

-Contreras looks thinner/more svelte this year. I saw him up close.

Sucks that we lost, but GAME ON!

-Sabathia is a monster as always.

-You knew the game wasn't blessed when the first pitch was hit out of the park.

Was sleeping off and on during the game today(15 hour workday right up until gametime). I see that Masset and Aardsma started the sucking early...

5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K

Those walks are simply untolerable....give me a break. If you get beat, do it by making the opposing team HIT the ball.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
Was sleeping off and on during the game today(15 hour workday right up until gametime). I see that Masset and Aardsma started the sucking early...

5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K

Those walks are simply untolerable....give me a break. If you get beat, do it by making the opposing team HIT the ball.

Masset was responsible for most of the damage. He, quite frankly, looked almost Boone-esque -- wide eyed and incapable of throwing strikes.

Even if the radar gun was slightly off (as several within the thread indicated), Masset hardly looked impressive. Williams better hope either him or Danks fare well this season. If McCarthy pitches better than Danks, it won't be too pretty around here for Williams or his scouting department. They're already on notice in my mind after the seemingly unhealthy fascination with Floyd.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Masset was responsible for most of the damage. He, quite frankly, looked almost Boone-esque -- wide eyed and incapable of throwing strikes.

Even if the radar gun was slightly off (as several within the thread indicated), he hardly looked impressive. Williams better hope either him or Danks fare well this season. If McCarthy pitches better than Danks, it won't be too pretty around here for Williams or his scouting department. They're already on notice in my mind after the seemingly unhealthy fascination with Floyd.

I'll give Massett a pass. Opening day, nerves are cranked and the tribe was just teeing off by that point.

The next 5 games will most likely be played with temperatures below 40 degrees. (I bet the Sox open on the road next season) I don't think there will be much offense with these conditions. The pitchers need to step it up. Just write today off. Only a couple of people had the Sox going undefeated this year anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen