Sox Loss Postgame Thread

Shamrock4Life

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Last year Ozzie pulled Pods in most every late game situation where a defensive replacement was necessary, he stopped doing that this year. Seems to me that he changed his style in that regard.

Pods was slowed with nagging injuries last year and wasn't hitting. That's not the case so far this season.

Plus, Ozzie's "style" is so irrational and unpredictable at times that it's almost a waste of time to try to define it.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This keeps getting better.

Guillen was asked after the game if he had thought about putting in Brian Anderson as a ninth-inning defensive replacement. But Guillen said if he had made that particular move, he would have had Anderson in center and didn't want to change Darin Erstad from center to left.

What.the.f***.

Um Ozzie, quit talking out of your ass. Better yet, quit talking period.

So WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY BA DEFENSIVELY? Him in CF and grindErstad to LF make so much sense it isn't funny. You just keep proving your point to KW there, by letting BA sit and rot away because your hand was forced w.r.t. the roster.

This is absolutely absurd.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
What.the.f***.

Um Ozzie, quit talking out of your ass. Better yet, quit talking period.

So WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY BA DEFENSIVELY? Him in CF and grindErstad to LF make so much sense it isn't funny. You just keep proving your point to KW there, by letting BA sit and rot away because your hand was forced w.r.t. the roster.

This is absolutely absurd.

Let him keep talking....chances are he'll say something derogatory that gets him fired.

I don't care if Mack should or should not have been batting in that situation. You don't freaking slap at pitches low and away when there are no outs, and you have a runner on 3rd. As a player, you should be able to drive a ball in the outfield. And Mack, who isn't an everyday player, should have taken advantage of getting a start, instead he blows it. He is a MLB hitter, freaking make the play, don't blow it. Don't make freaking excuses for him by saying he shouldn't have been batting. He is getting paid a couple million for mainly his bat and versitility, earn some of that money.

And what would Anderson had done instead of Pods? Make a perfect laser throw to throw out Bradley? I doubt it. And after looking at the replays of the final hit, it looks like the ball hit of the wall, then hit pods in the head, because the ball seems to come down at a different angle. So, do you expect Anderson to be able to jump 5 feet to make that catch?

And I don't understand all this Pods hate right now, how has he done anything wrong? Mediocre D, which was not expected at first from 'Prancer' and he has been this teams best hitter.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
I don't care if Mack should or should not have been batting in that situation. You don't freaking slap at pitches low and away when there are no outs, and you have a runner on 3rd. As a player, you should be able to drive a ball in the outfield. And Mack, who isn't an everyday player, should have taken advantage of getting a start, instead he blows it. He is a MLB hitter, freaking make the play, don't blow it. Don't make freaking excuses for him by saying he shouldn't have been batting. He is getting paid a couple million for mainly his bat and versitility, earn some of that money.

And what would Anderson had done instead of Pods? Make a perfect laser throw to throw out Bradley? I doubt it. And after looking at the replays of the final hit, it looks like the ball hit of the wall, then hit pods in the head, because the ball seems to come down at a different angle. So, do you expect Anderson to be able to jump 5 feet to make that catch?

And I don't understand all this Pods hate right now, how has he done anything wrong? Mediocre D, which was not expected at first from 'Prancer' and he has been this teams best hitter.

Mackowiak had the team's best hit yesterday with his hit-and-run rocket. He's a lefty bench player....he probably won't face a lefty pitcher more than 20 times all season. And for all the praising of Pods offense, he did strike out with a runner on 3rd and one out, and then he had the stupid bunt to strand a runner on 3rd as well. THE BALL DIDN'T HIT THE WALL!

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)

It's not the outcome of the game that people have a problem with. The point is, Ozzie did not make the correct baseball moves. Even if the Sox had won yesterday, they still were the wrong moves. If you continue to not make the correct moves, they will end up biting you in the ass like last night.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)

You can say that usually about three times per game if you really wanted to. I expect you to call out every player the rest of the year now when they don't get a runner in from third with less than two outs.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)

For one thing it wouldn't have taken a perfect "laser" throw and secondly if Pods doesn't jump at all he makes the catch standing at the wall.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Mackowiak had the team's best hit yesterday with his hit-and-run rocket. He's a lefty bench player....he probably won't face a lefty pitcher more than 20 times all season. And for all the praising of Pods offense, he did strike out with a runner on 3rd and one out, and then he had the stupid bunt to strand a runner on 3rd as well. THE BALL DIDN'T HIT THE WALL!

MLB Hitters need to come through in those situations. I don't care if Mack is facing Randy Johnson in his prime in that situation. You need to make a good effort at trying to get the runner in, and slapping at a ball low and away isn't exactly the best way to do it. You are a major leaguer, f*cking play like it. I know Mack wasn't in the best position to succeed, but you need to have an MLB approach to the plate. Would Dye, Ozuna, or Anderson have been better options? Probably. But that is no excuse for Mack to slap at a pitch low and away.

And funny how you bring up Pods bunt, as it was clear it hit him in the Box, and it was a good move by him. I see no way how that was stupid, and if it didn't hit him, he would have likely been safe and Cintron would have scored.

Also, I have taken back my statement that the ball hit the wall, but I have yet seen a replay where it shows clearly it didn't. I just re-watched that play a dozen times, and it is almost impossible to tell from the shot they show you. It looks like the ball comes down at a different angle, but it is tough to tell.

And it would have taken a perfect throw to have gotten Bradley at the plate. And it was actually a decent throw by Pods. But he threw it too high, obviously. Pods got to the ball quick, and got rid of the ball quickly as well, and he put some good 'umpf' on it as well. The chances that either BA or Erstad throwing out Bradley aren't that great, IMO.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
ROB MACKOWIAK SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN HITTING IN THAT SITUATION!

The defense to this is that defensively Mack is stronger than Dye. The ideal situation if you are not going to use Anderson is Dye in right and move Mack to left in the 9th although Dye is no great shakes out there either. Your defense is weaker if you remove Mack for Dye in a late game. Also there were no outs. Uribe needs to pick up Mack. The way Dye is hitting I am not certain that move is all that much better with the defense in mind. Why is Mack not used at all other than the outfield. I thought he could play every position.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)
And it would have taken a perfect throw to have gotten Bradley at the plate. And it was actually a decent throw by Pods. But he threw it too high, obviously. Pods got to the ball quick, and got rid of the ball quickly as well, and he put some good 'umpf' on it as well. The chances that either BA or Erstad throwing out Bradley aren't that great, IMO.

Oh come on now. That's like saying Rex's interception in the Super Bowl wasn't a terrible throw, he just overthrew Moose.