The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
PS: Texas' coach isn't on the seat like ours because I doubt Texas' lineup has degressed every single month since last June

And parts of the Texas lineup have hit. Its not like the entire thing just shut down as a group.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
If its the hitting coach that makes Paul Konerko hit .310 instead of .190, and Jermaine Dye .320 instead of .215, the guy should be paid more than A-Rod.

The entire team is all not hitting. What is it, a coincidence? f***ing luck? Or maybe a large scale conspiracy. Ward and Von Joshua were both fired for teams that couldnt hit that would look like the 27 yankees compared to our group. He is now working with Sweeney on power. The entire team cant hit, and he is trying to make our rookie line drive swing guy hit with power. Is he f***ing nuts.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
The entire team is all not hitting. What is it, a coincidence? f***ing luck? Or maybe a large scale conspiracy. Ward and Von Joshua were both fired for teams that couldnt hit that would look like the 27 yankees compared to our group. He is now working with Sweeney on power. The entire team cant hit, and he is trying to make our rookie line drive swing guy hit with power. Is he f***ing nuts.

They are also playing without Thome, and for some reason, the genius GM has a roster that has even had to resort to Brian Anderson DHing in his absence. I just don't think Walker has gone from a decent hitting coach, if you look at individual numbers the past couple of seasons, to the village idiot overnight. The Cubs worked with Ryne Sandburg on hitting for power, and the Twins did the same with Kirby Puckett. I really doubt Walker wants Sweeney swinging from his heels. He probably wants him a little more aggressive.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
They are also playing without Thome, and for some reason, the genius GM has a roster that has even had to resort to Brian Anderson DHing in his absence. I just don't think Walker has gone from a decent hitting coach, if you look at individual numbers the past couple of seasons, to the village idiot overnight. The Cubs worked with Ryne Sandburg on hitting for power, and the Twins did the same with Kirby Puckett. I really doubt Walker wants Sweeney swinging from his heels. He probably wants him a little more aggressive.

Thome was with them as they declined every month since last June. Thome was with us when we sucked early this season. Thome;'s absence isn't the source of our ills. Everyone else's absence is. Come on, DA. Someone has to be held accountable and you can't fire the players.

But you know that this organization's hitting approach as a whole is bad

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)

If you are telling me that Konerko and Dye cant hit because of Thome's missing presence then I question your logic. When Thome was here, they would walk Thome so they could get to one of the automatic outs behind him. Until Konerko and Dye prove they can hit, the only thing Thome will be is another baserunner to strand.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
Thome was with them as they declined every month since last June. Thome was with us when we sucked early this season. Thome;'s absence isn't the source of our ills. Everyone else's absence is. Come on, DA. Someone has to be held accountable and you can't fire the players.

But you know that this organization's hitting approach as a whole is bad

If there was no doubt in my mind that a different hitting coach would make all the difference, I would say fire him. Chances are, if they brought someone else in the results would be the same. They players like working with the guy. That wasn't the case with Joshua and Ward. That's also why Walt Hriniak was let go about 10 years ago. He was gruff, and really tough on the young players. Konerko has had excellent numbers with Walker as his hitting coach. Dye has been terrific. AJ hasn't hit for as high of an average, but has been pretty productive and has had several huge hits. Thome made a nice comeback last season. Crede exceded everyone's expectations from Sept 05 to Sept 06. I just don't see how Walker can go stupid overnight. The offense is built to hit homers. That's not Greg Walker, that's KW. The leadoff man has a pitiful OBP, and has had one for several years. By the end of the season, most of these guys will be at their career norms, if not better.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
If there was no doubt in my mind that a different hitting coach would make all the difference, I would say fire him. Chances are, if they brought someone else in the results would be the same. They players like working with the guy. That wasn't the case with Joshua and Ward. That's also why Walt Hriniak was let go about 10 years ago. He was gruff, and really tough on the young players. Konerko has had excellent numbers with Walker as his hitting coach. Dye has been terrific. AJ hasn't hit for as high of an average, but has been pretty productive and has had several huge hits. Thome made a nice comeback last season. Crede exceded everyone's expectations from Sept 05 to Sept 06. I just don't see how Walker can go stupid overnight. The offense is built to hit homers. That's not Greg Walker, that's KW. The leadoff man has a pitiful OBP, and has had one for several years. By the end of the season, most of these guys will be at their career norms, if not better.

Konerko had terrific numbers with the previous hitting coaches also. The only thing Walk did for Konerko is give him a boost in power. But then again, his maturity as a slugger could of did that also.

Crede had one good year, and he was a guy who hit like crazy in the minors. Him struggling here is a big disappointment.

Thome was healthy. If Thome is healthy he hits. Walk has nothing to do with that.

AJ used to be an all fields hitter, Walk sure helped him cure that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
If you are telling me that Konerko and Dye cant hit because of Thome's missing presence then I question your logic. When Thome was here, they would walk Thome so they could get to one of the automatic outs behind him. Until Konerko and Dye prove they can hit, the only thing Thome will be is another baserunner to strand.

Thome collects walks in bunches. When he's hitting well, he also walks a ton because he is seeing the ball so well. At the beginning of last season he was walking a ton too when he was hot. Konerko and Dye were hitting well then. I really don't think he was being pitched around, at least not most of the time. I don't think his absence is the reason the other 2 have been horrible. The Sox would be hitting more than .220 or whatever it is now if he hadn't been injured though.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Konerko had terrific numbers with the previous hitting coaches also. The only thing Walk did for Konerko is give him a boost in power. But then again, his maturity as a slugger could of did that also.

Crede had one good year, and he was a guy who hit like crazy in the minors. Him struggling here is a big disappointment.

Thome was healthy. If Thome is healthy he hits. Walk has nothing to do with that.

AJ used to be an all fields hitter, Walk sure helped him cure that.

So when they do well its because of the player, but when they struggle, its the hitting coach? The thing about hitting or not hitting in the White Sox case is you can know exactly what you are doing wrong and work on it and work on it, and not be able to do anything about it until someday it just clicks. I do think the Sox should think about adding some offense before they get too far behind.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Thome collects walks in bunches. When he's hitting well, he also walks a ton because he is seeing the ball so well. At the beginning of last season he was walking a ton too when he was hot. Konerko and Dye were hitting well then. I really don't think he was being pitched around, at least not most of the time. I don't think his absence is the reason the other 2 have been horrible. The Sox would be hitting more than .220 or whatever it is now if he hadn't been injured though.

So when they do well its because of the player, but when they struggle, its the hitting coach? The thing about hitting or not hitting in the White Sox case is you can know exactly what you are doing wrong and work on it and work on it, and not be able to do anything about it until someday it just clicks. I do think the Sox should think about adding some offense before they get too far behind.

No what I sad is that some players gain more power as they mature, as in most power hitters. Maybe Greg helped him lift and pull more and gain more power. Whatever. He was a near 300 hitter with near 30 dongs before Greg signed on. So he had little to do with the hitting product that is in front of you today.

If a team hits well, and has a good approach I give kudos to the coach and the players. When some of the players hit bad, then its those players. When every single player cant hit collectively, and have the same exact problem then what is it. Just a coincidence.

Ok, I have read a lot of chatter about the hitting coach and the hitting situation here for a few weeks and now I will add my comments from personal observation, what I have seen, and what I think.

My sense is they will wait until Thome gets back and see how this offense is doing after he's been back for 10 games or so. They will not fire Walker in my opinion but he could quit. He does not need the job as he has plenty of coin.

It is very possible the hitters need to hear a new voice. It happens, that's why coaches are changed frequently. In some orgs every year there is a new coach of some sort. Walker is a nice guy and everyone likes him but frankly who cares. Its about results. But what this board doesn't like to hear from what i see is this, the White Sox, meaning Williams and OG, are very loyal and patient. This can be good and it can be bad and I think most Sox fans understand the loyalty concept. My guess is Walker would quit b-4 he gets gassed.

One other thing is that I am lucky enough to spend lots of time in ST in Tucson and have rented a condo out there 3 of the last 4 years because my job and schedule lets me do that at this point in my life. Lots of time on the back fields in late February and you hear things and learn things if you shut up and be polite and open your ears etc. There is a fallacy that Walker teaches hitters to pull everything and that is so far from reality, believe me or don't I don't much care but you are hearing the truth. He doesn't like to mess with the power hitters swings cause he and the other coaches feel these guys are vets and they know their swings. He is always saying "head down on the ball" "watch it all the way back" "up the middle hard" and I have seen him work with hitters on weight shift and such. He preaches about going up the middle but he has no illusions that these guys are spray hitters, they aren't, most are power guys.

Personally? Sometimes a change for change sake is good and maybe they need a new voice. Walker is probably as good or bad as any hitting coach, the job sucks. I tend to blame the hitters more than the hitting coaches because I know GW is talking to them and trying to prepare them. But the frustration is boiling over and he may fall on his own sword of his own choice.

Anyways just a few thoughts from what I have seen down there and heard. Hopefully they break out of this because it sure needs to stop, games cannot be given away as it is too tough a division as many have pointed out. Great site you have here by the way and i will try to contribute. Sorry about the Mackowiak mixup earlier for some reason I had Ryan Sweeney on the brain but I have seen Pablo fooling around with catching stuff in spring.

Lets go get them tomorrow, go Sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
No what I sad is that some players gain more power as they mature, as in most power hitters. Maybe Greg helped him lift and pull more and gain more power. Whatever. He was a near 300 hitter with near 30 dongs before Greg signed on. So he had little to do with the hitting product that is in front of you today.

If a team hits well, and has a good approach I give kudos to the coach and the players. When some of the players hit bad, then its those players. When every single player cant hit collectively, and have the same exact problem then what is it. Just a coincidence.

The White Sox have assembled a team that has a lot of the same types of hitters. They don't have guys who slap the ball around except Pods who went from 12 homers in Milwaukee to 0 with the Sox. Konerko was brutal at the beginning of 2003 and hit .275 the second half of that season. Isn't that when Walker took over? He also hit a career high .315 last year. Dye hit .320 with 44 homers last year. If the Sox had the Texas Rangers hitting coach, you would give him the credit, but since its Walker, its probably because Dye "matured". AJ is an example of a guy who has gained power and has changed his approach a bit. The guy is 240 pounds. I read 5 years ago that scouts thought he would be a 25-30 homer guy eventually. I think its mostly on the players, good or bad, and a hitting coach can help. But to say Walker is the reason Dye and Konerko are both hitting over 100 points lower this year doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
The White Sox have assembled a team that has a lot of the same types of hitters. They don't have guys who slap the ball around except Pods who went from 12 homers in Milwaukee to 0 with the Sox. Konerko was brutal at the beginning of 2003 and hit .275 the second half of that season. Isn't that when Walker took over? He also hit a career high .315 last year. Dye hit .320 with 44 homers last year. If the Sox had the Texas Rangers hitting coach, you would give him the credit, but since its Walker, its probably because Dye "matured". AJ is an example of a guy who has gained power and has changed his approach a bit. The guy is 240 pounds. I read 5 years ago that scouts thought he would be a 25-30 homer guy eventually. I think its mostly on the players, good or bad, and a hitting coach can help. But to say Walker is the reason Dye and Konerko are both hitting over 100 points lower this year doesn't make sense to me.

Well based on this we should of never fired Von Joshua. The hitting coach doesnt matter. Hell I keep hearing the manager doesnt matter also. Sleepy should still be here as well. If these players now all of a sudden suck because they suck on their own. Then KW should have a fire sale and get out why the getting is good.

Konerko hit .304 in 2002 with 30 homers. Thats a fine dandy season

Maggs hit .320. WOW

We jumped the gun, look at what Ward did for our hitters.

A lot of hitting is mental as in the hitters mental approach and I'm sure this board knows it. Von Joshua was, how do we say this nicely? Von was abrasive and he wasn't well received and didn't mesh. Well so what. But that's a big part of things in clubhouses. The players didn't get on too well with Joshua and neither did the manager and neither did Williams, end result see ya later.

Winning is not a popularity contest though. Either the hitters get it going or Williams will not stand pat. I for one feel they need a pain in the butt hitter, a guy who works counts and will take walks and get on base. Owens is heating up and maybe they will find a place for him soon. Who knows.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
Well based on this we should of never fired Von Joshua. The hitting coach doesnt matter. Hell I keep hearing the manager doesnt matter also. Sleepy should still be here as well. If these players now all of a sudden suck because they suck on their own. Then KW should have a fire sale and get out why the getting is good.

Ward couldn't get along with anyone. If he was as well-liked as Walker as a human being, he wouldn't have been shown the door. The White Sox had more versatile hitters back then, and they had guys who could take extra bases on the basepaths.

Don't have time to read the other threads... but this needs to be said here.

In the Sox meltdown inning, the three big hits, all by Cubs righthanders were line drives to right field. The Cubs got 2 triples and a grand slam out of them.

The Sox have 2 triples and 1(maybe 2) grandslams on the season.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
One other thing is that I am lucky enough to spend lots of time in ST in Tucson and have rented a condo out there 3 of the last 4 years because my job and schedule lets me do that at this point in my life. Lots of time on the back fields in late February and you hear things and learn things if you shut up and be polite and open your ears etc. There is a fallacy that Walker teaches hitters to pull everything and that is so far from reality, believe me or don't I don't much care but you are hearing the truth. He doesn't like to mess with the power hitters swings cause he and the other coaches feel these guys are vets and they know their swings. He is always saying "head down on the ball" "watch it all the way back" "up the middle hard" and I have seen him work with hitters on weight shift and such. He preaches about going up the middle but he has no illusions that these guys are spray hitters, they aren't, most are power guys.

This was by far the most interesting post of the whole thread. It tells me that the problem isn't Walker, its the players that are not listening to him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
If the Sox fired Walker last Thursday and started hitting like they have been, people here would have said its proof positive that he was the problem. Now that they have begun to hit, maybe he isn't.

Walk is not the problem. Our guys will hit, and I believe you are starting to see that. If it keeps coming, this should be a fun year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Sox fired Walker last Thursday and started hitting like they have been, people here would have said its proof positive that he was the problem. Now that they have begun to hit, maybe he isn't.

So true.

Just wait until the Sox get shut down by Johan again. We'll have the "we can't hit LHP" and "we can't hit good starters" crowds out with their pitchforks.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 24, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
So true.

Just wait until the Sox get shut down by Johan again. We'll have the "we can't hit LHP" and "we can't hit good starters" crowds out with their pitchforks.

It's true though.....we look terrible against good lefty starters. I wonder if Toby will make us look any better against Santana, C.C., etc.