Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Would a video game Redbox system be popular?

Five dollars for a 1 day rental - $2 a day late charge - after 30 days the game is yours to keep.

No. I don't want to pay $5 for 1 day when I can go to another resource and pay $8 for 5. You'd have to do $3+1+1+1 etc to even stand a chance. Video games, unless they suck, cannot be fully appreciated in 1 day.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the way I look at it, the owners of the redbox would be in for a loss. It would be a stolen credit card magnet, most of the games would walk off and never come back, they would have to replace the games, deal with fraud claims, people breaking into the kiosks, I could see a disaster in the making. Gamefly is probably the closest thing to a Redbox type service that you will get. I may be wrong, someone might try it, but I can see a lot of problems with it.

Mind you, I work in credit card fraud, so i see it from a different perspective

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
I've got that bad b**** pre-ordered already.

Where did you pre-order the game? I noticed yesterday that Amazon is offering the game for $60 with a bonus $20 Amazon gift card. Just pre-ordered my copy through them a few minutes ago.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 1, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
the way I look at it, the owners of the redbox would be in for a loss. It would be a stolen credit card magnet, most of the games would walk off and never come back, they would have to replace the games, deal with fraud claims, people breaking into the kiosks, I could see a disaster in the making. Gamefly is probably the closest thing to a Redbox type service that you will get. I may be wrong, someone might try it, but I can see a lot of problems with it.

Mind you, I work in credit card fraud, so i see it from a different perspective

lol people already do that with normal Redbox as it is, imagine what it would be like with a MW2 or Halo Reach stocked in a machine in front of a gas station.. are you kidding me, people would breaking those things immediately..

And steve is right, there just no way to fully appreciate a game in one day.. hell, you can prolly even take that to a week..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 1, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
lol people already do that with normal Redbox as it is, imagine what it would be like with a MW2 or Halo Reach stocked in a machine in front of a gas station.. are you kidding me, people would breaking those things immediately..

And steve is right, there just no way to fully appreciate a game in one day.. hell, you can prolly even take that to a week..

Could you imagine only getting 1 day to play say a Fallout 3? You wouldn't even scratch the surface of that game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Where did you pre-order the game? I noticed yesterday that Amazon is offering the game for $60 with a bonus $20 Amazon gift card. Just pre-ordered my copy through them a few minutes ago.

I did mine through Amazon too. Seemed like they had the best exclusive content.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Could you imagine only getting 1 day to play say a Fallout 3? You wouldn't even scratch the surface of that game.

And thats not even 1 day of playtime either, there is just no way possible to get anything done with that game if you have it for that short of a time, even if you were to play for 12 hours..

QUOTE (knightni @ May 1, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
I was just wondering, because it costs so much to buy a game, that people might want to rent it first to see if it's any good.

That's why we have gamefly. In the end though you get a good enough feel for the quality of a game through reviews, word of mouth and demos. I've bought quite a few games for the PS3 and I've yet to get burned.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
That's why we have gamefly. In the end though you get a good enough feel for the quality of a game through reviews, word of mouth and demos. I've bought quite a few games for the PS3 and I've yet to get burned.

Well, they have NetFlix, but RedBox is more than flourishing.

I just figured that if they had a box system for game rentals that it might be a good idea.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
It was only a matter of time.

Supposedly he accomplished the feat on March 2nd or 3rd but 2K Sports didn't verify it until now to keep up the illusion that people still had a shot at the million. There were more than a few perfect games thrown within the first week the game was available.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 1, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
Well, they have NetFlix, but RedBox is more than flourishing.

I just figured that if they had a box system for game rentals that it might be a good idea.

People already find ways to steal DVDs from the redbox, if there was a video game one it would be a lot worse.. you can find most DVDs for like $15 at walmart or so.. but a brand new game, you really wont find that anywhere for under $60.. i think there would be too much risk involved for a game rental machine..

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 5, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
Supposedly he accomplished the feat on March 2nd or 3rd but 2K Sports didn't verify it until now to keep up the illusion that people still had a shot at the million. There were more than a few perfect games thrown within the first week the game was available.

This explains why that took forever.

I figured the contest would be over in the first few hours.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 7, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)

It's going to be game of the year.

Of course I haven't played it yet, but it doesn't look better than Just Cause 2. But with a new Fallout, Dead Space, Socom, Call of Duty, Prince of Persia, Ghost Recon, and the third in the trilogy, The Last Guardian (to name only a few)... there is some stiff competition. If I were a betting man, though, I'd go with The Last Guardian.

I believe Final Fantasy 15 online comes out at the end of this year as well, but I'm not really sure. Twisted Metal 3 is slated for Dec. 31st, though that generally means it is a 2011 release. There are a lot of Dec. 31st releases listed that I'm excited about.

Either way though, the game looks pretty damn solid, and it's been a good year for the PS3 catalogue so far.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2144177:date=May 7, 2010 -> 01:42 PM:name=Kalapse)-->
QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 7, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
<!--quotec-->

It's going to be game of the year.

This might be the most excited I've been about a non-sports game since I got my PS3. Uncharted 2 was f***ing amazing but I'm a bigger fan of sandbox/open world games than I am a platform/adventure game with a defined beginning and end.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Of course I haven't played it yet, but it doesn't look better than Just Cause 2. But with a new Fallout, Dead Space, Socom, Call of Duty, Prince of Persia, Ghost Recon, and the third in the trilogy, The Last Guardian (to name only a few)... there is some stiff competition. If I were a betting man, though, I'd go with The Last Guardian.

I believe Final Fantasy 15 online comes out at the end of this year as well, but I'm not really sure. Twisted Metal 3 is slated for Dec. 31st, though that generally means it is a 2011 release. There are a lot of Dec. 31st releases listed that I'm excited about.

The shooting mechanics in the Just Cause 2 demo just seemed 'off' to me like they'd be incredibly annoying in a fire fight. That's probably the reason why I haven't picked it up yet.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
The shooting mechanics in the Just Cause 2 demo just seemed 'off' to me like they'd be incredibly annoying in a fire fight. That's probably the reason why I haven't picked it up yet.

The auto-aiming is off, that's for sure. It's also worth mentioning that the story might be the worst in gaming history. But that aside, I can't think of another game where you can throw a grappling hook at an enemy, then attach the other end of it to a vehicle and ride off for hours dragging the carcass around.

As far as open world games go, it is the most impressive landscape I've ever seen and I don't think any other game really comes close. The size of the map is just ENORMOUS. I believe it is the biggest open world map in gaming today, but feel free to fact check me. The variance in the landscape is impressive/beautiful. Driving across the map (corner to corner) took me about an hour. Flying in a jet was about 15 minutes.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
The auto-aiming is off, that's for sure. It's also worth mentioning that the story might be the worst in gaming history. But that aside, I can't think of another game where you can throw a grappling hook at an enemy, then attach the other end of it to a vehicle and ride off for hours dragging the carcass around.

As far as open world games go, it is the most impressive landscape I've ever seen and I don't think any other game really comes close. The size of the map is just ENORMOUS. I believe it is the biggest open world map in gaming today, but feel free to fact check me. The variance in the landscape is impressive/beautiful. Driving across the map (corner to corner) took me about an hour. Flying in a jet was about 15 minutes.

I think if The Show hadn't come out a within a week of Just Cause 2's release I probably would have picked it up. Now we're getting into some big releases as the year goes on so Just Cause is getting pushed by the wayside. Once it hits about $35 on Amazon (it's at $50) right now I'll probably pick it up. I think it's complete and utter lack of a storyline could work in its favor here where all the fun comes from just f***ing around and exploring the environment so 20 minutes here and 40 minutes there a few times a week you're getting an awful lot done unlike a game with a lot of cut scenes required tasks that take up a good amount of your time.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 7, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
I think if The Show hadn't come out a within a week of Just Cause 2's release I probably would have picked it up. Now we're getting into some big releases as the year goes on so Just Cause is getting pushed by the wayside. Once it hits about $35 on Amazon (it's at $50) right now I'll probably pick it up. I think it's complete and utter lack of a storyline could work in its favor here where all the fun comes from just f***ing around and exploring the environment so 20 minutes here and 40 minutes there a few times a week you're getting an awful lot done unlike a game with a lot of cut scenes required tasks that take up a good amount of your time.

It's an easy 30-40 hours skipping through the cutscenes and without doing the sidequests. It's a really long game, which is a bonus to me. But even so, I'm starting to feel like it's worth the wait for the price drop on all single player only games. Hell, wait long enough and you can end up getting it for just a few bucks.

Games on my list:

Heavy Rain (waiting for when it comes down in price)

3D Dot Heroes ($40 seems like a fun price for a retro game)

Red Dead Redemption (See above video)

ModNation Racers (Love kart racers, love LBP)