MMA Thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
My point exactly. Holm was winning the fight 3-1 and was on her way to winning completely before Meisha was able to grapple her. I'd be more interested in Holm vs Tate II than Rousey vs Tate 24324

Source on the scores? Round 2 should have been 10-8 for for Tate. She could have been given 3 and would have definitely won 5. I would have had Tate winning had it gone to the judges. Draw at worst..

Edit: Just saw the official scores. All three had it a 10-8 in round 2. Would have been a draw had Tate not finished.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Source on the scores? Round 2 should have been 10-8 for for Tate. She could have been given 3 and would have definitely won 5. I would have had Tate winning had it gone to the judges. Draw at worst..

Edit: Just saw the official scores. All three had it a 10-8 in round 2. Would have been a draw had Tate not finished.

Even with the 10-8 round 2(which Tate really didn't do anything after the takedown), all judges had Holm winning the other 3 rounds 10-9.

Total score after 4 rounds was 38-37 and Holm was winning round 5 as Tate had 3 failed attempts at getting her down to the ground. Even Tate said she knew she was losing the fight and had to go after her aggressively.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
So was Holm. And Holm dominated Rhonda. It wasn't a close fight. Holm also did a lot better against Tate than Rousey did against Holm.

Flat out, if Holm isn't getting a rematch(again, she was winning that fight big), then it should be Holm vs Rousey to see who the #1 contender was.

And Ronda didn't get a rematch right away. I bet Holly is the next challenger after Meisha-Ronda. I'm not even arguing that id rather see something else besides Tate-Rousey cause I would but she absolutely deserves the next title shot.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
And Ronda didn't get a rematch right away. I bet Holly is the next challenger after Meisha-Ronda. I'm not even arguing that id rather see something else besides Tate-Rousey cause I would but she absolutely deserves the next title shot.

Rhonda didn't get a shot right away because she declined it. Dana was trying to get her back for this PPV, but she flat out told him after she came back from Australia, it won't happen until October at the earliest. Now, she doesn't even have a schedule for her filming of either movie, so they're talking about her being at UFC 200 to fight Meisha.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
So was Holm. And Holm dominated Rhonda. It wasn't a close fight. Holm also did a lot better against Tate than Rousey did against Holm.

Flat out, if Holm isn't getting a rematch(again, she was winning that fight big), then it should be Holm vs Rousey to see who the #1 contender was.

Holm should blame her manager for costing her essentially 8 figures. If she would've waited, she would've fought Rousey again. But I do agree with you that should be the matchup. It was just a very poor managerial decision and case in point, her manager is new to the business.

People are putting too much into that Rousey and Holm fight. It's pretty evident that Rousey has tore up the division and she wanted to challenge herself further by beating a world class boxer at her own game. It backfired big time for her. If you watched that fight, you'd see that that wasn't the same Ronda Rousey we saw before. I have no doubt that Rousey would destroy Holm in the first round if she focuses on what she does best the next time they fight.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
People are putting too much into that Rousey and Holm fight. It's pretty evident that Rousey has tore up the division and she wanted to challenge herself further by beating a world class boxer at her own game. It backfired big time for her. If you watched that fight, you'd see that that wasn't the same Ronda Rousey we saw before. I have no doubt that Rousey would destroy Holm in the first round if she focuses on what she does best the next time they fight.

Her coach is an idiot and needs to be fired ASAP (for reasons even outside of being an awful coach). Ronda needs to listen to her mother.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

Why would Rousey with her elementary level boxing think she could be Holm at her own game?

Rousey finally went up against a fighter who wasn't going to engage Rousey and get thrown like a rag doll. Most of Rousey's opponents were complete tomato cans. Holm even pushed Rousey off of a clinch at one point. All he takedowns were basically throws against clueless fighters.

If Tate is able to avoid being taken down the she will pick Rousey apart too.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Why would Rousey with her elementary level boxing think she could be Holm at her own game?

Rousey finally went up against a fighter who wasn't going to engage Rousey and get thrown like a rag doll. Most of Rousey's opponents were complete tomato cans. Holm even pushed Rousey off of a clinch at one point. All he takedowns were basically throws against clueless fighters.

If Tate is able to avoid being taken down the she will pick Rousey apart too.

I am of the belief that a great mix martial artist would beat a great boxer anyday. UFC 196 reminded us of that to some extent.

If you want to play the what-if scenarios, then if Tate could take Holm down multiple times and submit her on the ground, then Rousey should be able to do the same if she tried to. The question headed into the Rousey/Holm fight was how well could Holm defend the takedown and submissions. The Tate/Holm fight answered that question.

So now Rousey didn't try to take Holm down? That's funny because she obviously did try to take her down and she failed. I think she got Holm down once but that didn't last long. One time Holm actually pushed Rousey off of her. She's a world class judo player but judo isn't always the greatest at getting takedowns in MMA, especially against a capable opponent.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
So now Rousey didn't try to take Holm down? That's funny because she obviously did try to take her down and she failed. I think she got Holm down once but that didn't last long. One time Holm actually pushed Rousey off of her. She's a world class judo player but judo isn't always the greatest at getting takedowns in MMA, especially against a capable opponent.

She did attempt twice IIRC. But for the first 3 minutes or so, she kept trying to stand up with Holm, and didn't attempt a takedown until she got rocked a couple of times. Find me another fight where Rousey did not attempt a takedown that late into the fight.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
She did attempt twice IIRC. But for the first 3 minutes or so, she kept trying to stand up with Holm, and didn't attempt a takedown until she got rocked a couple of times. Find me another fight where Rousey did not attempt a takedown that late into the fight.

I just rewatched the first half of the first round of that fight. In the first 3 minutes of the fight, Rousey tried to close the distance to clinch 7 times. She pushed Holm against the cage, then got shoved off and she charged in right away only to have Holm circle away. Then she was able to get a takedown and Holm got up after a hail mary arm bar attempt.

Rousey couldnt close the distance at all in that fight. Rousey pressed forward and got picked apart. A fighter doesnt fight the way she did that night if she had the intent of out boxing their opponent. Rousey was chasing Holm all over the cage and couldnt get close.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
Holm should blame her manager for costing her essentially 8 figures. If she would've waited, she would've fought Rousey again. But I do agree with you that should be the matchup. It was just a very poor managerial decision and case in point, her manager is new to the business.

Soon after her fight with Ronda, Holly has been saying since that she's the one who made the decision to fight as soon as possible. She says she likes to stay active.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
I am of the belief that a great mix martial artist would beat a great boxer anyday. UFC 196 reminded us of that to some extent.

If you want to play the what-if scenarios, then if Tate could take Holm down multiple times and submit her on the ground, then Rousey should be able to do the same if she tried to. The question headed into the Rousey/Holm fight was how well could Holm defend the takedown and submissions. The Tate/Holm fight answered that question.

Tate utilized different takedown techniques than Ronda. You can't take away the defense on takedowns Holly had vs Ronda, but the fight with Tate showed she still has to get more well rounded. Ronda's takedowns are mostly in a high clinch with judo throws. Tate's we're more wrestling/jiu jitsu.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
-Mcgregor vs Diaz at 170 for UFC 200 official

-Aldo vs Edgar for interim title at 200

-Rousey targeting fight vs Cyborg since she has joined UFC officially.

1. Lame, let's see Conor vs Edgar... UFC just had to redeem their golden boy though in another non title fight main event.

2. Interim? That's stupid. The UFC again doing everything they can to make it possible for their golden boy to be a two division champ. Aldo or Edgar should be the real title holders after that fight.

3. I don't know how true this is if it's rumored. Dana wants to make that Ronda/Holly fight again badly with one of them having the belt.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
Can't believe people actually thinks this is true. This guy is just starting to make millions. He's not going to let that go... Cmon.

Well he's out of UFC 200 so who knows what the hell is going on.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
Can't believe people actually thinks this is true. This guy is just starting to make millions. He's not going to let that go... Cmon.

Eh I said it was trolling earlier but it's definitely legit now. Legit to an extent. I'm sure he'll fight again but he's done for the time being. He can go to WWE and make more or do something else.