Sox Sign Craig Wilson to minor league deal

whitesox91403

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 27, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
...and he hasn't posted an OPS as high as that since 2004.

I'm just matching one pointless stat with another.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 27, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
u do have a point. blum is a career 250 hitter, while wilson is a 262, so i guess this could turn out to be an OK signing afterall

Because we all know batting average is the be all end all in evaluating a player's offensive abilities/production.

Whats not to like. He comes cheap, he can hit lefties. We will be 5.5 out as of tonight if the Indians win. Do you really want to empty the minors to pick up a left fielder guys. Lets see in the next month what we have before we go balls deep on this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
I don't like Craig Wilson, but I like this type of thinking. He's also someone who can catch if necessary, which might give Ozzie some more flexibility.

Exactly. If he can be a competent third catcher, it frees up Hall to be used as a pinch hitter or a DH at times. Same with A.J. on days he's not starting at catcher.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 27, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Whats not to like. He comes cheap, he can hit lefties. We will be 5.5 out as of tonight if the Indians win. Do you really want to empty the minors to pick up a left fielder guys. Lets see in the next month what we have before we go balls deep on this season.

Borrowing a line from Jerry Reinsorf, anyone who thinks this Sox team can catch Cleveland is crazy. I think they have a shot at Detroit and the WC. If KW wants to finish ahead of Cleveland, he's going to have to get rid of some of the "depth" he thinks he has in the minor leagues. The bullpen needs to be fixed, and they have to get someone who can run a little and get on base.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 28, 2007 -> 03:16 AM)
Borrowing a line from Jerry Reinsorf, anyone who thinks this Sox team can catch Cleveland is crazy. I think they have a shot at Detroit and the WC. If KW wants to finish ahead of Cleveland, he's going to have to get rid of some of the "depth" he thinks he has in the minor leagues. The bullpen needs to be fixed, and they have to get someone who can run a little and get on base.

Those two offenses hit the ball so hard. It was a pleasure seeing good quality at-bats throughout that series.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 27, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
Those two offenses hit the ball so hard. It was a pleasure seeing good quality at-bats throughout that series.

The scary thing is Cleveland's offense is only going to get better. Haffner, Sizemore and Barfield are still not at the level they most likely will be at. Detroit should cool down a bit.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 27, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
The scary thing is Cleveland's offense is only going to get better. Haffner, Sizemore and Barfield are still not at the level they most likely will be at. Detroit should cool down a bit.

Dont worry, maybe they will get hit with the perfect storm that Greg Walker says we got hit with. Then their entire team will hit 215 for 7 weeks or so. We should pass them both up real quick.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 27, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)

Iguchi, Dye, Konerko and Crede are still not at the level they most likely will be at either. It could come down to whose bullpen is better/worse.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ May 27, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Iguchi, Dye, Konerko and Crede are still not at the level they most likely will be at either. It could come down to whose bullpen is better/worse.

Cleveland has a nice head start. The Sox are going to have to knock them off head to head, and hope some of the guys in the minors can be effective in the bullpen, because KW isn't going to pay middle relievers market price. If by the grace of God, KW does make a trade to improve the major league team, I hope he shies away from guys that have been with guys who have been with perrenial losers their entire career. They may work out, but I think they may have issues A. With knowing how to win, and B. With the pressures playing for a team expected to win.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ May 27, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
All he needs is a couple sessions in the cages with Greg Walker, that should help him. :lolhitting
I think the Craig Wilson move is good. I think the braves did some premature waivering on him. All Craig needs is some consistent at bats and we may see him duplicate some of his pittsburgh numbers. If that doesn't happen we can call him a grinder or something.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 28, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)

Well consider me ever the optimist :D, but Cleveland probably thought themselves back in 2005 they had no chance of catching us when we had a bigger lead, and they almost did, so never say never especially if this offense can get clicking.

Anyways on Wilson, it's a no risk signing. He's put up good numbers against lefties, and if he can get hot in a good hitting environment it could turn out be a very shrewd signing. He has to earn that chance down at Charlotte though, and should have nothing handed to him ahead of the likes of Owens, Anderson and Sweeney.

I actually thought this was a good fit the minute he was released.

He is great vs LHP .290/.389/.527/.916, and can play emergency catcher if needed. That adds a whole new element because the Sox can PH with Hall and still have Wilson to backup AJ in the event of an injury.

He can play 1B, 3B, RF, and C, and if he doesn't work out, no big deal.

Edited by RME JICO

I once saw Wilson hit 2 Monster HRs in a game.................................

they were hit against Charlotte when he was on rehab in Indy. I believe Arnie Munoz gave up the longer of the 2 :P

497343.jpg

Seeing how the signing is a Minor League Contract, I like the move. He has more experience than BA, Owens and Sweeney. Plus he can play more postions then them 3.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 28, 2007 -> 05:46 AM)

He is great vs LHP .290/.389/.527/.916, and can play emergency catcher if needed. That adds a whole new element because the Sox can PH with Hall and still have Wilson to backup AJ in the event of an injury.

Agreed. Minor league deal is no risk to us. The upside if he works out is worth it.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 28, 2007 -> 07:46 AM)

How good is he in the field at those positions?

All I remember about him was he was a pretty good hitter when he was with the Pirates.