2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

FWIW when crede avoided arbitration i know KW said that although he hated workign with boras, it was something that could be done....as long as they were creative and rick hahn was the one negotiating...that said i personally believe taht KW wouldnt talk with boras when we were a middle of the road payroll team but now that we can spend some $$ maybe that will change a bit...with no pick til 89 i think we prolly could try to nab porcello, but i doubt it

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
Flash...would you be happy with Main?

Yes.

Even if he never reaches the majors and his arm gives out, atleast give me someone with the potential to become a top of the rotation starter. Our safe first round selections haven't been successful as it is, why not take a risk?

If KW stays true to the sentiment that we need more high-ceiling talent then he'll have to shell out the money for Porcello, Harvey, or Main at this point. lets hope he doesnt cop-out for a "safe" pick... gross, the thought of a safe pick makes me wanna throw-up on my keyboard...

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
We'll probably take Wes Roemer. KW will like his grinder attitude.

That would be McCulloch II. Roemer is probably better, but a college winner who had a stud sophomore year and has disappointed in his junior season. I would love Roemer with our 2nd rounder though.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Main in the Trib today.

Bleh @ Main.

Here's some scouting reports on who's still available that you like.

Michael Burgess

Few players have the kind of power that Burgess displays on a regular basis. What is impressive about that power potential is that is more than just potential, as he has hit some of the best pitchers in the nation in numerous showcase events while also showing that power in games and tournaments. He generates his power with an incredibly quick bat, a bat that whips through the zone, using strong hands and wrists. He has an athletic, strong and compact body that allows him to maintain his bat control while also displaying a keen eye at the plate. On top of his power bat, Burgess has an incredibly strong arm, and has touched 94 off the mound, although he doesn't show much interest in pitching. His power/power profile makes him a perfect fit for right field, where he also has above average speed and range. Burgess hails from Hillsborough High School in Tampa, Florida, the same school that has produced big-leaguers Dwight Gooden, Carl Everett and Gary Sheffield. Burgess' bat speed is likely to draw some Sheffield-eque comparisons. He has committed to play at Arizona State.

Many consider Main to be the top prospect available for next year's draft from the prep ranks. He is an incredibly gifted athlete whose fastball has been clocked as high as 99 mph. Despite his high velocity readings and natural athleticism, there is some effort to Main's delivery, which leads some to believe he might be a closer down the road. However, that's not a decision that needs to be made anytime soon, and prep pitchers that can touch 99 don't grow on trees. His delivery is a little unorthodox in that he has a very slow windup before speeding up his body through his delivery with somewhat of a max effort placed on his arm. Main's breaking ball and offspeed pitches need some work, but the foundation is there. He will also need to improve his fastball command to succeed at the next level, but again, he has the foundation to be a natural ace at the highest level. When he's not pitching, Main is also a gift hitter and defender in centerfield, and could be considered a first-round pick as a positional prospect if it weren't for his special right arm.

Jackson, Justin SS R/R 6-2/175 High School TC Roberson (NC)

Jackson is a true five-tool prospect who currently shines defensively. He's the type of shortstop that makes every play look incredibly easy, as he uses his plus-range to glide to balls hit to both sides of him. Soft hands and a strong throwing arm allows him to throw out the fastest of baserunners. While his bat isn't as advanced as his defense is, he shows good, natural hitting action and always seems to make hard, consistent contact, centering the ball well on his bat. That foundation leads many to believe that he could be a perennial All-Star, and one of the better all-around shortstops in baseball. He already shows an advanced knowledge of the strike zone, and has fared well against some of the top arms in the nation. He is expected to be advised by Scott Boras, so that could play into his signability next spring, but he's the best all-around shortstop to emerge from high school since B.J. Upton in 2002. He plays at the same high school as Cameron Maybin, the 10th overall pick in 2005.

Smoker, Josh LHP L/L 6-2/190 High School Calhoun (GA)

Smoker is a polished lefty that has performed very well at showcase and tournament events while playing for the esteemed East Cobb program for the past two to three years. In particular, he was named the all-tournament pitcher at the past two WWBA World Championships in Jupiter, Florida. While he is at his best carving up hitters by changing speeds and hitting his spots, his fastball has been clocked as high as 94 mph, even though he works more comfortably in the 88-91 range. He also mixes in a pretty good curveball and a developing changeup that gives him a promising three-pitch repertoire. His track record is more than proven, and scouts have had ample opportunities to see him at his best with and against some of the best players in the nation, including the Aflac All-American Classic. He has committed to play for Clemson.

I'm not putting Porcello on there because I know we're not taking him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Someone post the Main scouting report for me?

23. Michael Main, rhp/of

School: Deland (Fla.) HS. Class: Sr.

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 171. Birthdate: 12/14/88.

Scouting Report: Baseball America's top 15-year-old in the nation in 2004, Main looked like a can't-miss prospect even before he could drive. Tendinitis in his rotator cuff cost him most of his junior season, but he recovered to lead DeLand High to the state final four and did so again this year. He has a lightning-quick arm that generates 97 mph heat, but more importantly he has learned how to pitch this spring. Even Main's jaw-dropping velocity wasn't enough to get outs when he got knocked around in a start at the Aflac Classic and other high-profile events last summer. This year, he has kept his fastball down in the zone, where it has lots of late movement. Main shows solid-average command presently, as well as the ability to spot this two-plane breaking ball where he wants it. His changeup has above-average run and sink. Main's slight build and lively repertoire make him comparable to Tim Hudson, but some teams see him as a safer pick as an outfielder. He's a 70 runner with good bat speed, and has even shown an ability to make contact from both sides of the plate. He's more likely to be drafted in the first round as a pitcher, however.

W L ERA G SV IP H BB SO

10 1 1.03 11 0 68 38 12 103

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.

Even if he never reaches the majors and his arm gives out, atleast give me someone with the potential to become a top of the rotation starter. Our safe first round selections haven't been successful as it is, why not take a risk?

If they pick him it might be as a CF. This is a guy who has already had arm tendonitis which is a red flag to me.

1. David Price-Tampa Bay

2. Mike Moustakas-Kansas City

3. Josh Vitters-Chicago Cubs

4. Daniel Moskos-Pittsburgh

5. Matt Wieters-Baltimore

6. Ross Detwiler-Washington

7. Matt LaPorta-Milwaukee

8. Casey Weathers-Colorado

9. Jarrod Parker-Arizona

10. Madison Bumgarner-San Francisco

11. Phillippe Aumont-Seattle

12. Matt Dominguez-Florida