A telling statistic

bigred3535

ESPN has a new player ranking system that, while probably not as accurate as a lot of Baseball Prospectus's stuff, is pretty telling in the fact that NOT A SINGLE WHITE SOX PLAYER IS AMONG THE TOP 100 IN MLB. That makes us one of two teams, along with the Washington Nationals, who are playing pathetically enough to accomplish this feat. Who would have thought, at the beginning of the year, we'd be in the same category as a team intially thought to have a chance at a run for the Mets' record of most losses in the season?

The stat explanation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2897967

Th top 100 players list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playerRating

We own the AL Central with 12 players in the Top 71.

You know these ranks are complete BS when Buehrle is ranked 67th in the AL Central behind Crede, Mackowiak, and guys like Alex Gordon who is batting a whopping .187. I guess they don't value no-hitters.

Edited by RME JICO

But you know what? I have a strange feeling that the offense is gonna bust out sometime soon and go on a roll. This is just too weird to have a team slump all together like this, when they have all proven they can hit and play (okay except Uribe or Pods last year).

The bullpen though? That just seems like a black hole to me. I have no answer for that.

It's still only June 11th, people...

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Sure they suck but we don't even have anyone All-Star worthy. Not even close IMO.

i agree except maybe for jenks, but just out of pity.

i'm not even gonna vote this year cuz no sox deserves it.

I'm just saying it sucks that, any way you slice it, no one's having a good season. At least back in the late 90's/early 2000's when we were mediocre you could always root for Frank or Maggs cause they would still play well, but It's just depressing to root for a bunch of guys hitting .230. I definitely never thought that this year the Sox would be in the traditional Royals/Rockies/Devil Rays vein of having the closer who's having a decent year as the only servicable representative for the All-Star Game.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
I'm just saying it sucks that, any way you slice it, no one's having a good season. At least back in the late 90's/early 2000's when we were mediocre you could always root for Frank or Maggs cause they would still play well, but It's just depressing to root for a bunch of guys hitting .230.

Except for the big country boy in the 3 hole with the 1.000+ OPS of course.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)

big red has a point though...even though the early 2000 teams were mediocre i feel like they were more fun to root for....probably because they had a bunch of guys who i considered white sox...that is they came up with us or were there for a long time....ie durham magglio el caballo big frank....actually it probably has to do with the fact that offense is exciting

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
But you know what? I have a strange feeling that the offense is gonna bust out sometime soon and go on a roll. This is just too weird to have a team slump all together like this, when they have all proven they can hit and play (okay except Uribe or Pods last year).

You've been a Sox fan far too long to know that won't happen. :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
So we have the worst offensive team in baseball, and we have no players who made a Top 100 list... Thanks Mr Obvious, you're a lifesaver! :bang

I just found this other chart on ESPN called "standings".

Can you believe the White Sox aren't in the top part of that, too?!? :bang

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 02:56 AM)

I love Thome and think what he brings to the team is very valuable, but he actually has an OPS of .825 with 3 homers for the last two months and he's not that fun to watch if he's not slugging (unless you like watching a lumberjack walk 90 feet), since he can't run and doesn't play defense. As much of a great guy as he is, and as good as he was last year, he's still not as fun to root for as Maggs and Frank, IMO.

P.S. I know people are going to say the same is true of Frank, and to an extent it is, but I always enjoyed rooting for Frank because A) he was my favorite player growing up and nothing can change that, B) he was a homegrown White Sox and C) Everyone else hated him (a la AJ) so I naturally stubbornly defended him to the death. It was just a generally different situation that is with with Jim.