Buehrle Wants a Five Year Contract

Gregory Pratt

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bad feeling when he was not the opening day starter. I hope this contract situation doesn't go the same way.

KW needs to relook his 3-yr contract policy for pitchers. I understand where he is coming from, but it should only apply to new pitchers to the organization. He already knows what he will get from guys like Mark and Jon. Why not lock them in now to market rates and after 3 years you will have a couple of bargains.

This article, and the one in the Sun-Times, really encourage me about the situation in that we know what Buehrle is thinking. Remember after he joked that he'd like to play for the Cardinals, then was grilled and said he'd want to spend his career with the Sox and then maybe go to St. Louis for his twilight years? Looks like he's sticking by that sentiment.

It appears he can be had on the free agent market for 5 years - $90 million. Konerko took $5 million less ($1 million per year) to stay here instead of go to Baltimore or Anaheim. Buehrle might be willing to do the same type of thing -- he proposed to his wife on a hunting stand.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:53 AM)
I had a bad feeling when he was not the opening day starter. I hope this contract situation doesn't go the same way.

KW needs to relook his 3-yr contract policy for pitchers. I understand where he is coming from, but it should only apply to new pitchers to the organization. He already knows what he will get from guys like Mark and Jon. Why not lock them in now to market rates and after 3 years you will have a couple of bargains.

It's not a KW policy.

I also agree we get it done. I don't have to point out the numbers it's been done already. Even more so important is his consistency and attitude. He's going to give you pretty much the same thing every five days. That consistency is a big thing for the players. I think they all go out there feeling better about the game that day when Mark is pitching. I think they feel better in the field and better at the plate. They're ready to go.

The other important factor is Mark's influence on the young pitchers coming up. You can't quantify that with money. He is exactly the type of pitcher you want the young guys to be around. If there is ever an exception to the 3 yr pitchers contract rule...Mark is it. Just get it the f*** done!!!

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
I say we raid Japan, Cuba and Mexico for relievers in the offseason. :bang

Okajima was signed by Boston to help Dice-K adapt here and he has had a fast start

2-0 1.04 ERA 4 saves 35 19 H 9 BB 31 Ks 4 runs allowed

Buerhle and Garland are guys you build a franchise around. We choose to do it with Contrearas and Vazquez because they were cheap.

If our minor league system didn't suck so bad we would actaully have a bright future to build around Thome and Konerko. Last night was a prime example of what happens when your leadoff hitter gets on more than once a week.

I would like to keep all of the starters and fill in the line-up with hitters getting 3-5M each.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
This article, and the one in the Sun-Times, really encourage me about the situation in that we know what Buehrle is thinking. Remember after he joked that he'd like to play for the Cardinals, then was grilled and said he'd want to spend his career with the Sox and then maybe go to St. Louis for his twilight years? Looks like he's sticking by that sentiment.

It appears he can be had on the free agent market for 5 years - $90 million. Konerko took $5 million less ($1 million per year) to stay here instead of go to Baltimore or Anaheim. Buehrle might be willing to do the same type of thing -- he proposed to his wife on a hunting stand.

IIRC, Konerko did not take less to come here than any of the other offers. On the surface it appeared to be so and was definitely good PR, but when you consider taxes on all of the offers, they came out to be the same.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
IIRC, Konerko did not take less to come here than any of the other offers. On the surface it appeared to be so and was definitely good PR, but when you consider taxes on all of the offers, they came out to be the same.

I believe there was 1 less year offered with the Sox than the Angels... I may be wrong though.

If this miserable season has any bright spots it would have to be the pitching of Buehrle, Garland and Danks. As much as he might be able to bring in return via prospects, I think the Sox would be very foolish not to resign Buehrle. Someone mentioned that Ichiro pays for himself. I think with his personality, the no-hitter, his WS save, etc., Mark Buehrle has become a guy that people specifically pay to watch and makes it easier for the Sox to market themselves to their fan base. I would not be surprised if average attendance in Buehrle's starts is better than every other starter on the team, especially after the no-no. The guy is a White Sox product and has performed well just about every step of the way. I am tired of the Sox continuing to cite the Jaime Navarro debacle when letting pitchers walk over a year or two extra on the contract. I know it is a business and the process needs to be given time to work itself out, but they need to give him what he is asking. It is not unreasonable.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
I would of rather have thrown bags and bags of money at Buerhle for 5 years than pay Javy a cent.

Those Javy and Jose extensions look really dumb right now.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
Those Javy and Jose extensions look really dumb right now.

Don't be so sure. Those are players that are now under contract for multiple years. That is something opposing clubs are very fond of--proven pitchers under a contract already set in stone.

Those contracts have value in and of themselves.

If Buehrle is looking for 5 years from the White Sox, you simply have to do it. If Buehrle will accept $15M for 5 years, you race to the checkbook and make it happen.

Now, with these sentiments public, the White Sox will feel considerable heat bringing him back for only 5 years. The heat just got turned up.

Sign him. Absolutely. I love Buehrle and he's the one Sox player I'm having trouble letting go. Anybody else, fine.

But he's worth it.

NOTE TO BOARD: if we resign him I will, that week, go and buy a Buehrle jersey (which I've wanted for a long time)--the vest one (the only one I'm missing).

So they can put that $150 towards his payroll, LOL.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
Sign him. Absolutely. I love Buehrle and he's the one Sox player I'm having trouble letting go. Anybody else, fine.

But he's worth it.

NOTE TO BOARD: if we resign him I will, that week, go and buy a Buehrle jersey (which I've wanted for a long time)--the vest one (the only one I'm missing).

So they can put that $150 towards his payroll, LOL.

Yeah, same here.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
Now, with these sentiments public, the White Sox will feel considerable heat bringing him back for only 5 years. The heat just got turned up.

Somehow I don't think Kenny gives a crap how hot it gets.

Recall back in Feb when Kenny spilled the beans when he was caught saying sic "we've accepted Mark wont be here next year...", followed by an apology to Mark and his parents, followed further by a(nother) yelling match at the Saturday Q&A.....

I don't know why this fan base will be surprised if nothing happens with Mark, or with the rest of the team in terms of competing for another WS ring anytime soon. The writing was posted pretty clear on the wall at Soxfest.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
Buerhle and Garland are guys you build a franchise around. We choose to do it with Contrearas and Vazquez because they were cheap.

If our minor league system didn't suck so bad we would actaully have a bright future to build around Thome and Konerko. Last night was a prime example of what happens when your leadoff hitter gets on more than once a week.

I would like to keep all of the starters and fill in the line-up with hitters getting 3-5M each.

I agree that we should do anything to keep Garland and Buerhle, they can be 1-2 starters for years to come. I dont think we got Vasquez and Count that cheap though. I think Count is pretty much shot and Vasquez is too inconsistent.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
Somehow I don't think Kenny gives a crap how hot it gets.

Recall back in Feb when Kenny spilled the beans when he was caught saying sic "we've accepted Mark wont be here next year...", followed by an apology to Mark and his parents, followed further by a(nother) yelling match at the Saturday Q&A.....

I don't know why this fan base will be surprised if nothing happens with Mark, or with the rest of the team in terms of competing for another WS ring anytime soom. The writing was posted pretty clear on the wall at Soxfest.

^^^

The writing has been on the wall for a long time. It is a smart move by Mark to play the game and make himself look good, but he has been all but gone for a while now. The reason guys like Contreras and Vazquez got extentions is because they know Mark isn't coming back, and they want to have at least a couple of known quantities in their pen.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:24 AM)
Come on - he deserves it. 5 years for 75-85 - hell yes you do that. He is a top of the rotation starter. He has proven to be very durable. You don't let guys like that walk. Get what you can for Dye, Iguchi, and Contreras. Sign Ichiro to replace Dye, plug in Richar for Iguchi, Fields for Pods, say goodbye to Erstad and get Rowand in CF, and whatever rook (possibly Billingsley if you get him for Dye) for Contreras. WTF is the problem there?

RF Ichiro

CF Rowand

1B Konerko

DH Thome

LF Fields

C AJ

3B Crede

SS Eckstein?

2B Richar

Buehrle

Garland

Vazquez

Danks

Billinglsey, Massett, Floyd...

Jenks

I don't have a clue after Jenks.

Crede is cooked, there's no way he'll remain with the organization after this year. As much as it hurts me to say it.