Thome with a sore back

That funky motion

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 12:28 AM)
You would think a real good conditioning program might work!?

to a degree, but once you have chronic back issues, it's usually just a matter of time before it sneaks up on you. moreso when you are thome's age and have all that wear and tear.

He has a lot of nagging injuries and commands a s***load of value if he were on the trade market (and obviously a major if is whether you can get him to waive his no trade clause) and should be moved at all costs if possible (I'm sorry, but I'd rather not have him completely break down in the next year or two, not when he can help your raid the Angels system).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
He has a lot of nagging injuries and commands a s***load of value if he were on the trade market (and obviously a major if is whether you can get him to waive his no trade clause) and should be moved at all costs if possible (I'm sorry, but I'd rather not have him completely break down in the next year or two, not when he can help your raid the Angels system).

I'd love to unload him on the Angels. I doubt it happens, but if we could, we should, definitely and absolutely.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
Out for 2 to 3 days. Per Channel 7.

Yeah right with Thome and his "violent swing" we will be lucky to see him by next week. Here comes the company line, "well we'd rather be careful and sit him a few extra days here intstead of lose him for a few weeks down the line" blah blah. This team is so lathargic and old its ridicolous, at least the quality players are. We need Dye, Konerko, Thome, and Pods clicking to be a real offense and most of the time 3/4 are battling some sort of injury or nagging strain or sore something. Get rid of your fragile boys Kenny.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
Perhaps he was literally carrying the lineup? :bang

I heard Jay Leno make the same joke about Lebron James last week... nice :D

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
Sweeney is not playing in Charlotte tonight, BTW. Just saying that maybe Thome's injury is worse than first thought. Seems like today would be an odd day for an off day or maybe he has a little injury, too, but I am just starting the speculation.

I was about to bring that up as well. As much as I don't like to see someone like Thome get hurt, I'd really like to see Sweeney back up here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
Thome got hurt when he played first base during the Phillies game. Didn't Ozzie say he would absolutely not play in the field this season?

Thome has been hurt for (at least) three years...

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 08:47 AM)
Yep, but they said he reinjured it last week. It's to the point where we should really consider trading him.

Once he gets healthy, I would agree. You offer Buehrle a good deal (5 years @ 15 million) and if he takes good if not trade him. Trade Dye, Iguchi, Contreras if you can and if all that happens, you will get yourself 10 solid prospects. Probably 3 top guys, and the rest Lance Broadway types. I think you gotta do it and then there is plenty of money to add 2-3 good FAs. That would allow for next year to be a rebuilding year where we still flirt with .500, but sets us up nicely for the future.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
Thome got hurt when he played first base during the Phillies game. Didn't Ozzie say he would absolutely not play in the field this season?

Even more reason why you don't send him home on a close play at the plate on a medium distance throw from right field from a guy witha good arm with 1 out!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)

Maybe they can pay him to waive his NTC.