Mark Buehrle Agrees to 4-yr, 56 mil with escalator clause

Brian

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
I'm slightly surprised. Way to go Sox, way to go Kenny. So the Sox won't suck ass for the next few years.

I'm surprised Mark signed and that's because I believe the Sox WILL suck ass for the next few years. I hope it means KW assured Mark that he has some major plan up his sleeve to improve the team for 08. Kind of like Paulie staying partly because he knew Jimmy was coming.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
While everyone expects Contreras to be traded, his value is next to nothing. And even then, the sox would have to pony up some cash to unload him. Or the sox will have to trade bad contracts [which may not be a bad idea--say Jack Wilson and Pittsburgh]. I guess one of the teams in playoff contention may take a flier on Jose, provided he has a few decent starts before the 31st. If not, teams will think he's hurt and will stay away from him.

I'd expect Jose to see some time on the DL if he gets lit up after the ASB. If Jose gets some time off, and has a 2nd half ala Freddy in 2006, then trade him in the offseason. But as of now, he likely won't be going anywhere.

I really think Contreras has more value than you are giving him credit for. He's not going to get you a top propsect, but he will get you two serviceable players with potential to become MLB players someday.

And Jack Wilson is really flat out terrible.

I am real glad this worked out, and I think it is the good buisness decision for the White Sox to boot. I mean signing Mark Buehrle is a PR move. It also helps the Sox be a better team, IMO. I think the ownership has seen what a WS winner and contending team can do to this fanbase and city. Going into a straight rebuilding mode would have crushed this team for a few years, attendence and bottom line wise. But a rebuilding mode where we remain competitive for at least the Wild Card every year, will work both ways.

I wonder if they offer Garland the same deal they gave MB?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 07:55 AM)
I really think Contreras has more value than you are giving him credit for. He's not going to get you a top propsect, but he will get you two serviceable players with potential to become MLB players someday.

And Jack Wilson is really flat out terrible.

A healthy Contreras is very valuable, I agree. Yet his drop in velocity and recent decline suggest he's hurt. Few teams will even give two serviceable prospects unless he shows something in the 2nd half. Esp. with the money Jose's owed the next two years.

Wilson at least gives better Ab's then Uribe--though he's more expensive. Khalil Greene's name is being mentioned as a Sox target. Wilson is along the same vein as Greene---good glove, more consistent bat than Uribe.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Not quite sure why I'm being singled-out here. I've wanted them to sign him, but after what we read yesterday, it didn't seem like he was in the plans. I'm thrilled for reasons on and off the field, and it immediately makes our future for the next 5 years better.

Me neither. Save for maybe 6 posters, everyone talked s*** last week.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 08:02 AM)
Me neither. Save for maybe 6 posters, everyone talked s*** last week.

I was just teasing fathom, there was no malice intended. 2 posts about it, and I was done

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
I was just teasing fathom, there was no malice intended. 2 posts about it, and I was done

Yes, I saw your following post, and I didn't mean to single you out since 98% of the board was being vile.

Regardless, it was an ugly week and while it's good news depending on your perspective, I hope those who know what they did learn to think before they speak in the future.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
Yes, I saw your following post, and I didn't mean to single you out since 98% of the board was being vile.

Regardless, it was an ugly week and while it's good news depending on your perspective, I hope those who know what they did learn to think before they speak in the future.

Haha, doubtful. Naysayers never learn :D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Kenny Williams actually said during an interview with Chuck Garfine (sp?). That he was incredibly close to trading Buehrle, that for the past week he's had 2-3 offers that he could very well have said yes to and would have been happy with but wanted to work out an extension instead. According to KW, if Buehrle had rejected the offer made to him this morning he would have been traded.

Yeah, right. We all know Kenny. If he got a superior deal, he would have drove Mark to the airport. Remember this is a guy who cut loose the biggest name in White Sox history... Twice. Him talking about trading Buehrle is a shot over the bow to guys like Tada, JD, and even Jon Garland that they had better not think about trying to hold a gun to his head for a big contract, because he won't hesitate to ship their asses to Siberia.