Buehrle: Sox aren't going into rebuilding mode

thedoctor

Is anyone else disgusted by the article and suggestion that Brian Anderson is still in the White Sox plans? He doesn't seem to be progressing very well with the injuries reported earlier on. There is no way I'd give him a chance on our roster before Andy Gonzalez, who also, to me, is trash.

Personally I think the Sox will make a splash or two this off-season, although, I do not see them going after a Linebrink, who will command a bunch of money in the off-season. I can see them pursuing an OF such as Rowand or Hunter. I do not forsee them bring back Uribe, but I do not see them going after someone like Eckstein or Rodriguez. I think that Richar is going to be our guy in the future at 2b, and the outfield could be Fields/Rowand/Sweeney, which wouldn't be all that bad. I'm not sure that Crede will be ready by ST, though, so maybe they'll need another outfielder to fill that void. I do see Ozuna coming back next year.

As for the rotation, if they could find a way to package JC out of here, I'd say they take it. A rotation built around Buehrle/Garland/Vazquez/Danks/Floyd looks perfectly fine. I'm thinking the Sox will stay in the organization to get their bullpen set, though it could be a surprise to sign a Kennedy, a Beimel, or a Pineiro.

Though this could just be wishful thinking for hearing this news, it's good to know there might not be a s*** ballclub next year.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuck, I'd rather sign back Jermaine for 2 yrs than be stuck with Abreu for 3 or 4. You're right about Abreu, ee doesn't steal bases, doesn't hit for power anymore and is a below avg RF. At least Jermaine can still hit 30 HRs, play avg defense in RF and is 2 yrs younger.

We all know KW will go after the passion and the fire (Rowand) but I wonder about SS, LF and the bullpen.

Thank you.. for the life of me I could not figure out how Anderson became 34 years old...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
Is the word "especially" really necessary? That's only the second double he's had over his last 175 PAs. He hasn't shown any signs of power or an ability to work the gaps, he's shown that he might be able to eek a few singles through the infield and beat out weak grounders to the SS. The 2 BBs he's drawn over his last 71 PAs have been spectacular though. I wonder what Alex Sanchez is up to these days, think he'd be interested in a body double job for Jerry Owens? Oh wait he knew how to work a gap now and then.

Hey wait, he was on steroids! :P

Honestly, we've got to work with what we've got to work with. I have no interest in trading Jon Garland for Michael Bourn (maybe Jason Bourne). And considering the Phillies will not want to give Aaron what the DBacks just did for Byrnes, I'm sure they have Bourn projected in their 08' OF, so he won't come cheap. Don't you think if Bourn was available something would have been worked out for Dye?

Anyways, I know you are all about getting a top notch leadoff hitter in here, but face it, they really don't exist right now. Unless you want to pay out the ass. Which we cannot afford to do.

I'd love to see someone like Rod Carew brought in to work with Owens on his hitting. Carew was a great bunter and slap hitter much like Ichiro who got out of the batters box extremely quickly. I think Owens has the potential to bat .300 in the majors , steal 50 bases and play a decent CF. I've seen him make a lot of diving catches recently. He's got no arm at all and doesnt walk much but if he earns a little more respect by hitting better the walks will come because he does seem to have a good eye up there.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

KW printed GrindErstad's stats from 2000 and told him if he comes back to that form we can be really dangerous. Then if Aardsma can develop a wicked offspeed pitch they have a good setup man. Also if Jerry Owens learns how to hit he can be the lead off man. Then Mark just asked which line should he sign on...

okokok just kidding... I would love to see this list KW compiled.

As long as Uribe is gone next year, retool however you want. Watching him tonight dog a few of the ground balls, then give the Ole wave to it was a bit sickening. Watching this guy go up to the plate with no clue. I could give 2 s***s what he did before, its time to let him go before he comes into ST next year where he needs someone to tell him what his feet look like.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
As long as Uribe is gone next year, retool however you want. Watching him tonight dog a few of the ground balls, then give the Ole wave to it was a bit sickening. Watching this guy go up to the plate with no clue. I could give 2 s***s what he did before, its time to let him go before he comes into ST next year where he needs someone to tell him what his feet look like.

aww come on now that .257 obp last year and the .267 this year doesnt do it for you?

sersiouly....id almost prefer to see gonzalez in there, and believe me....i dont think andy gonzalez belongs anywhere near the major league roster

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
if what KW says is true, I think we won't be seeing Garland traded, but rather extended.

Impossible.

It's just not feasible to have over 45+ million invested in our starting rotation next season, yet alone 2009 and beyond, when there's no telling how the team or its payroll will change.

I'm sure you'd rather unload Contreras -- as would many others -- but my position is, unless another team is willing to accept Contreras and his remaining salary we'd be better off trading Garland for a package centering around positional prospects.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
Impossible.

It's just not feasible to have over 45+ million invested in our starting rotation next season, yet alone 2009 and beyond, when there's no telling how the team or its payroll will change.

I'm sure you'd rather unload Contreras -- as would many others -- but my position is, unless another team is willing to accept Contreras and his remaining salary we'd be better off trading Garland for a package centering around positional prospects.

If push come to shove on this, if we have to eat a few million to deal Jose, I'd rather do that.

Good starting pitching is the hardest thing to find in baseball. We've got 3 top notch starters in Buehrle, Garland and Vazquez and IMHO we need to be building the team around that core.

This team can be fixed with a few shrewd signings. If we can improve the bullpen (Scott Linebrink for example), and somehow upgrade at SS offensively, this team can contend next season, I have no doubts about that.

I'd try to trade a Lance Broadway for example to try and get a young SS into the system who can somehow contribute for us next season, that should be the goal for me anyways before entertaining the idea of trading Garland or Vazquez.

Reid Brignac (unrealistic I know), would be a position prospect I would love to have on the Sox for the next 6 seasons.

If push came to shove, I'd pay some of Contreras's salary and still deal Garland. I honestly can't think of one good reason why Garland should not be traded to the highest bidder this winter. He's a good pitcher, yes, but I really don't think there's any shot of him resigning, and he's as prone as any pitcher the Sox have to either be good or to get completely torn apart.

Contreras's presence on the club should have no impact on whether Garland goes.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
If push came to shove, I'd pay some of Contreras's salary and still deal Garland. I honestly can't think of one good reason why Garland should not be traded to the highest bidder this winter. He's a good pitcher, yes, but I really don't think there's any shot of him resigning, and he's as prone as any pitcher the Sox have to either be good or to get completely torn apart.

Contreras's presence on the club should have no impact on whether Garland goes.

I think there's a good chance Garland would re-sign with us right now actually. His best buddy Buehrle is here with the team for another 4 seasons, and he's always done well here, so there are some good reasons. It all depends on the $$$ though.

If you did trade both though, you'd be giving 3 spots in the rotation to Danks, Floyd and a battle b/w Sisco, Masset, Broadway, Haeger and Gonzalez for that 5th starter's job.

The Sox say they don't want to go into rebuilding mode, and I don't think they could win with this type of a rotation (at least not in 2008), hence why I don't think it'll happen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 01:55 AM)
I think there's a good chance Garland would re-sign with us right now actually. His best buddy Buehrle is here with the team for another 4 seasons, and he's always done well here, so there are some good reasons. It all depends on the $$$ though.

If you did trade both though, you'd be giving 3 spots in the rotation to Danks, Floyd and a battle b/w Sisco, Masset, Broadway, Haeger and Gonzalez for that 5th starter's job.

The Sox say they don't want to go into rebuilding mode, and I don't think they could win with this type of a rotation (at least not in 2008), hence why I don't think it'll happen.

The Sox weren't in rebuilding mode this year, rather retooling mode; Kenny Williams thought the team he put on the field opening day could compete for a division title. We saw that turn to hell real quick.

So, that being said, what makes KW think that a rotation of Buehrle-Vazquez-Danks and then 2 of Floyd/Haeger/Sisco/Masset/Gio/Broadway/MLC pitchers won't work? You're likely to find one of them who will perform well (ie, an ERA of 4.75-5.00), and another who can become a reasonable 5th starter (ie, 5.00-5.50 ERA). If trading Garland can net you Hu and Kemp - giving the Sox a legitimate shortstop and another outfielder - why would you not? And then, if you take on half of Contreras's contract, you may get another solid player out of the whole deal too.

As is, the Sox would likely be looking at a rotation of Buehrle-Vazquez-Garland-Danks-battlezone and an outfield of Fields, Owens, and Sweeney. Does anybody on this board actually want that outfield?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
The Sox weren't in rebuilding mode this year, rather retooling mode; Kenny Williams thought the team he put on the field opening day could compete for a division title. We saw that turn to hell real quick.

So, that being said, what makes KW think that a rotation of Buehrle-Vazquez-Danks and then 2 of Floyd/Haeger/Sisco/Masset/Gio/Broadway/MLC pitchers won't work? You're likely to find one of them who will perform well (ie, an ERA of 4.75-5.00), and another who can become a reasonable 5th starter (ie, 5.00-5.50 ERA). If trading Garland can net you Hu and Kemp - giving the Sox a legitimate shortstop and another outfielder - why would you not? And then, if you take on half of Contreras's contract, you may get another solid player out of the whole deal too.

As is, the Sox would likely be looking at a rotation of Buehrle-Vazquez-Garland-Danks-battlezone and an outfield of Fields, Owens, and Sweeney. Does anybody on this board actually want that outfield?

No I don't want that outfield. I still think we'll re-sign Dye though, or else sign a 1 year stopgap such as Geoff Jenkins and give Sweeney 1 more year of AAA ball.

The difference b/w what you've suggested is that Garland is capable of seasons with an ERA below 4, while that 5th starter combo with a 5.50 ERA would possibly cost us 5-10 games during a season.

If you could somehow pull off a Broadway plus non top 10 spect for Hu for example, I would rather make that type of deal.

A Fields-Owens-Dye OF, with the bulk of our rotation coming back without Contreras gives me more hope that we can rebound for next season, and I think KW would rather go down that path as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 02:21 AM)
No I don't want that outfield. I still think we'll re-sign Dye though, or else sign a 1 year stopgap such as Geoff Jenkins and give Sweeney 1 more year of AAA ball.

The difference b/w what you've suggested is that Garland is capable of seasons with an ERA below 4, while that 5th starter combo with a 5.50 ERA would possibly cost us 5-10 games during a season.

If you could somehow pull off a Broadway plus non top 10 spect for Hu for example, I would rather make that type of deal.

A Fields-Owens-Dye OF, with the bulk of our rotation coming back without Contreras gives me more hope that we can rebound for next season, and I think KW would rather go down that path as well.

What does Broadway plus a non-top 10 do for the Dodgers? They're trying to win, and trading one of their prospects who has good value for a struggling prospect and likely a young reliever who may or may not turn into anything is absolutely ridiuclous.

I just think it's gonna take a hell of an offseason to make this team compete, and it's going to be harder if they don't trade Garland because that's $12 mill the Sox can't spend. The difference between a $12 mill 4.00 ERA and a $400K 4.75 ERA isn't just 3 quarters of a point.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
What does Broadway plus a non-top 10 do for the Dodgers? They're trying to win, and trading one of their prospects who has good value for a struggling prospect and likely a young reliever who may or may not turn into anything is absolutely ridiuclous.

I just think it's gonna take a hell of an offseason to make this team compete, and it's going to be harder if they don't trade Garland because that's $12 mill the Sox can't spend. The difference between a $12 mill 4.00 ERA and a $400K 4.75 ERA isn't just 3 quarters of a point.

IIRC, the Dodgers have one of their SP's coming off the books (Tomko), and a few of their SP's in Schmidt and Wolf have had some major injury problems this season. So besides Billingsley, they may want an a prospect who's close to the majors, and could contribute in a pinch if need be.

It'll just be interesting to see what the Dodgers would get for Hu if they put him on the market considering they have Furcal.

I thought Danks would have the ERA around 4.75 next season, and whoever fills in for Garland would have something more around the 5.5 mark.

I suppose I might overrate having some good starting pitching while we have it, no matter the cost.