#500 as a walk off, is this a first??

whitesoxfan101

I get to see the Sox on WGN on Saturday and they lose 2-1. Today they rally from 7-1 and Thome hits #500 and it's a walk off winner. Of all the luck.

I would think in baseball history that this #500 by Big Jim Thome would rank up there memory wise like Ted Williams hitting a homer in his last major league at bat

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
Buehrle no-no

Jenks tying the record.

Thome 500 walk off.

burn the rest of the video.

Don't forget Buehrle's 100th career win. :D

BTW, is it just me or is it that people who are catching these milestones aren't even from around that city or rooting for that team (Thome's 500th, Bonds 756th) etc..

I don't want to ruin the 500 homer thread, so I'll say this here. Sportscenter has been on for half an hour now, and there hasn't even been the slightest mention of Thome's milestone.

I don't like to use this term too often, but this is a disgrace. This is an absolute disgrace and I am personally offended that they show absolutely no respect to a man as great as Thome. The guy is a saint in a sport full of scumbags, cheaters, and ego-maniacs. But f*** that, I want to know what Bill Belichick is going to do now that he's been fined half a million dollars.

ESPN continues to sink lower and lower.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
I don't want to ruin the 500 homer thread, so I'll say this here. Sportscenter has been on for half an hour now, and there hasn't even been the slightest mention of Thome's milestone.

I don't like to use this term too often, but this is a disgrace. This is an absolute disgrace and I am personally offended that they show absolutely no respect to a man as great as Thome. The guy is a saint in a sport full of scumbags, cheaters, and ego-maniacs. But f*** that, I want to know what Bill Belichick is going to do now that he's been fined half a million dollars.

Honestly, weren't ARod and even Big Frank's at bats shown live when they were going for it? Now this was a walkoff, that's insane, you can't script it any better, and it's buried in the news stories of ESPN.com, I checked after it happened and there wasn't even a breaking news alert or anything, finally after a little bit they listed it as like the 3rd news story on their list. How can you blame them though when even the local media have it at least 3rd on their priority list

The Yanks are playing the Red Cubs. Do you think there are reporters outside of the New England area tonight that even know other games are going on.

don't like to use this term too often, but this is a disgrace. This is an absolute disgrace and I am personally offended that they show absolutely no respect to a man as great as Thome. The guy is a saint in a sport full of scumbags, cheaters, and ego-maniacs. But f*** that, I want to know what Bill Belichick is going to do now that he's been fined half a million dollars.

Amen, brotha. Nobody could have said it better. Utter disgrace.

Well that sucks. I have to say, even for them, I am surprised at that.

Maybe they've been responding to the complaints, though. If you go to ESPN's MLB main page right now, Thome's feat is story numero uno.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)
And if you look a little closer, it's about how Thome won't make the Hall, at least according to Rob Neyer........

Yeah, I read that. I figure that will stir the pot here a bit. It actually made me a little upset when I saw the article, but on reading it, he does actually make some good points.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)
And if you look a little closer, it's about how Thome won't make the Hall, at least according to Rob Neyer........

That's just silly. Assuming Thome stays even modestly healthy next year, he's going to end the 2008 season with over 2,000 career hits.

He has a .971 OPS, tied for 16th all time and ahead of guys like A-Rod, Mel Ott, Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ken Griffey Jr., Gary Sheffield, Mike Schmidt, and Frank Robinson.

His career .562 slugging is 17th all time, ahead of Frank Thomas, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffey Jr., Ralph Kiner, Hack Wilson, and Frank Robinson.

He has a career OBP of .408, one of only 40 men ever to have such a high rate of reaching base for his teams.

His .281 career average, for a pure power hitter who strikes out a lot, is pretty extraordinarily good.

He hit his 500th home run yesterday in his 2,000th career game (how cool is that?) So he will finish his career with over 2,000 games played and about a home run every 4 games played.

By around Memorial Day of next season, Jim will have over 7,000 career at bats, over 1,500 walks, and over 8,500 plate appearances.

He was the 4th fastest to 500 home runs of all time, and is 4th all time in home runs per at bat.

He will almost assuredly finish his career with over 400 doubles (368 right now).

His 1,451 walks is 20th all time, and by the time he retires he'll be much higher on that list, even if he only plays another year or two.

Oh, and he along with A-Rod, Griffey, and Frank (well and soon to be Manny Ramirez, probably in 2008) are the CLEAN guys to hit 500 plus home runs in the era of the cheats.

And he's not done yet, as everybody knows, just one or two more good seasons can climb you WAY up the list once you get to 500 home runs, and he is capable.

Oh, and he didn't DH nearly as much as everybody seems to think he did, I mean he did play for the freaking Phillies in his mid/late 30's.

YOU GET THE POINT. The man is a damn hall of famer, no question. Anybody who says otherwise simply doesn't have a clue of what they speak.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)

I didn't read the whole article -- just a little snippet -- but I don't think it's actually Neyer's opinion that Thome isn't a HoFer. I think he's just saying that because the voters didn't really give Thome his 'due' in the MVP voting, what's going to make them vote for him as a HoFer?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Yeah, I read that. I figure that will stir the pot here a bit. It actually made me a little upset when I saw the article, but on reading it, he does actually make some good points.

I've believed for quite awhile that Thome is not a first-ballot HOFer but is an HOFer. That is, I wouldn't vote him in on the first ballot and I don't think he will get in on the first ballot. He's never really been The Man or the Best Player At His Position, in his day. A lot of times he wasn't even the best player on his team, and it wasn't like he was playing with Alex Rodriguez (though he was with some very good players).

Neyer's still a dick, though, and he's crazy to suggest that he needs 600.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
I didn't read the whole article -- just a little snippet -- but I don't think it's actually Neyer's opinion that Thome isn't a HoFer. I think he's just saying that because the voters didn't really give Thome his 'due' in the MVP voting, what's going to make them vote for him as a HoFer?

Yeah, and I think that's the good point to keep in mind. I think Thome is a HOFer, and a lot of others will. But there are some things there that might stop him, or at least keep him out for a few years.

It's amazing how in almost every article I've read this morning about Thome's HoF credentials nearly every one of them uses the fact that Thome has spent a very large portion of his career at DH against him.

GP at 1B: 1101

GP at 3B: 492

GP at DH: 377

So apparently spending 19% of your career at designated hitter is enough to keep you out of the hall of fame.

And yes I do put him in on the first ballot. With so many f***ing dickheads and arrogant pricks being voted in I could probably find a place on my ballot for the nicest, most gracious, most humble man to ever play the game. To put up such amazing numbers for so long all while being such an amazing human being and ambassador to the game is just remarkable.

Off topic, but the "he's a hall of famer, but not first ballot" thing you hear in sports is the dumbest of dumb arguments. Why is a player a hall of famer, but not on the first ballot? Do his numbers and resume magically become different his 2nd and 3rd time on the ballot and so on? Makes zero sense to me, a player is a hall of famer or isn't, simple as that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 06:50 AM)
Oh, and he along with A-Rod, Griffey, and Frank (well and soon to be Manny Ramirez, probably in 2008) are the CLEAN guys to hit 500 plus home runs in the era of the cheats.

Unfortunately, we don't really know that about any of these guys. I'm not accusing any of them, but the reality is that all MLB players are guilty by association.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
It's amazing how in almost every article I've read this morning about Thome's HoF credentials nearly every one of them uses the fact that Thome has spent a very large portion of his career at DH against him.

GP at 1B: 1101

GP at 3B: 492

GP at DH: 377

So apparently spending 19% of your career at designated hitter is enough to keep you out of the hall of fame.

And yes I do put him in on the first ballot. With so many f***ing dickheads and arrogant pricks being voted in I could probably find a place on my ballot for the nicest, most gracious, most humble man to ever play the game. To put up such amazing numbers for so long all while being such an amazing human being and ambassador to the game is just remarkable.

Thanks for making this post Kalapse and listing the stats. It is exactly wehat I was thinking. Thome has played IB most of his career and can still play first if needed. The naysayers will use this against (and have already) the Big Hurt. Frank has more DH time than Jim, Thome and Thomas both belong in the HOF.