Lance Broadway

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
Before the beginning of the season, I told myself I was giving Broadway a free pass in the first half. He had a decent ERA, but his peripherals were garbage. But I'm not going to hold that against him. He was learning to control a new pitch, and he'll need to be a control pitcher to survive at the big league level.

So... He improved in the second half, even though the ERA didn't show it, he had a K/BB ratio of exactly 2:1, and was striking out near 1 batter per inning. There was improvement, but not nearly enough to suggest that he was ready to consistently get major league hitters out.

Even if Coop come out and says something about how they worked really hard and refined some of his mechanics/control, I still need to see more from him on the minor league level. If he true ability was what we saw tonight (6IP 0R 8K), he'd be able to consistently post those numbers in the minors. As it was, only one of his last 10 starts in Charlotte was that good, and there were 4 starts that could be considered disasters.

The only way I can picture him in the opening day rotation is through a slough of pitching injuries along with a trade or two.

I agree with this, he's a year away IMO. But this evening gives me hope that another year of seasoning with his stuff at Charlotte could lead to Lance being a solid pitcher for us in 2009 and beyond. Tonight's game is what a polished Broadway will look like, but I don't think he's ready to do anywhere near what he did tonight on a consistent basis at the MLB level in 2008.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tonight certainly gave us a bit of a welcome problem to have.

Tonight helped put Broadway on the map when it comes to 5th starters. Obviously it's only 1 start, but it was still very promising nonetheless, he certainly gets a lot of movement on his pitches.

It does give us that option or trading both Garland and Contreras, even though I think the Sox will only trade 1, and Lance will be back in AAA to start next season.

Lance almost broke Gathrights wrist with a pitch in that he swung at. I liked the movement. His change darts away from LH batter, his fastball starts in and nips the inside corner. His slider dives away from RH hitters. Not bad at all. I would like to see more of him to see if it wasnt just a lucky start.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Ya, that movement was ridiculous. He could run it in and out all day long and that should bode well with him being able to get lefties and righties out. Plus he could throw it up and down in the zone (he had a nice one on Buck, got Gaithright on an elevated fastball) and than down in the zone he got a good number of grounders with some nice sink.

Hell, all that movement almost acts as a few different pitches as opposed to just a fastball. This is a guy that if he improves his command could really be a solid starter.

After watching his start my draw dropped on the movement his fastball; its just been a few appearances at the end of the season but if that is what he was working on all this year developing a quality two seam that just dances in the zone, then that explains alot about his season and control at AAA.

his velocity is maddux-esk if he can locate it wont matter if he throws at 88-92 instead of 94-98, especially considering he sells that spike curve so well and its got such great depth. if he continues to refine that change up he will be a force to reckon with.

I was really surprised with Broadway's start last night. Pierzynski mentioned something interesting in the post game conference concerning him "inventing" a slider (more like a cutter) in the bullpen. It appeared, at the least, to keep Royals hitters very offbalanced and tentative to catch up with his fastball.

However, it's really difficult to guage this start because of several factors: one, we're talking about the Royals; and two, it's possible his changeup and cutter -- two pitches hardly thrown during his previous innings out of the bullpen -- didn't factor into preliminary scouting reports. I've seen Floyd enough to know how different he can look from start to start. Too bad there won't be another start from Broadway this season to find out.

Now, it's only my baseless opinion; but I don't believe Broadway will begin next season in the minors. He'll either be in the White Sox bullpen or rotation. How many years can they possibly let their first round pick repeat AAA? We're not talking about a starting pitcher with high potential here that needs to hone his craft. If Williams does trade Garland and Contreras (or even one), someone needs to be available to potentially eat innings. A long reliever now makes more sense than these last few years, when it was all but certain 4/5 of the rotation would pitch 6 innings on any given night.

i said after broadway made his last relief appearance that i was way more impressed with his stuff than i thought i would have been....his changeup, which didnt really appear in his scouting reports too much, looks to be an above average major league pitch...to me broadway, at least stuff wise...looked like brandon mccarthy with movement on his fastball (maybe not as good of command).....

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 01:14 AM)
After watching his start my draw dropped on the movement his fastball; its just been a few appearances at the end of the season but if that is what he was working on all this year developing a quality two seam that just dances in the zone, then that explains alot about his season and control at AAA.

his velocity is maddux-esk if he can locate it wont matter if he throws at 88-92 instead of 94-98, especially considering he sells that spike curve so well and its got such great depth. if he continues to refine that change up he will be a force to reckon with.

Let's stop comparing him or his stuff to 40 year old Greg Maddux. That's not all that hot a compliment, even if he can still put it through a lifesaver. And further, he will never have Greg Maddux' control. Precious few people ever will, and a guy whose control wasn't all that hot in AAA doesn't warrant such outrageous comparison.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Let's stop comparing him or his stuff to 40 year old Greg Maddux. That's not all that hot a compliment, even if he can still put it through a lifesaver. And further, he will never have Greg Maddux' control. Precious few people ever will, and a guy whose control wasn't all that hot in AAA doesn't warrant such outrageous comparison.

other than saying his velocity is similar to maddux's (which it is, btw) i don't think he made the comparisons you are suggesting.

Maddux' velocity was nowhere near what it is now when he was Broadway's age. I just don't like the suggestion that his velocity is "Maddux-like" because of its implications. His velocity is bad and his control is nowhere near Greg Maddux level. Greg Maddux on acid could throw more strikes than Broadway. Let's just compare Lance Broadway to Lance Broadway. Or someone more to the capabilities of Lance Broadway.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
Maddux' velocity was nowhere near what it is now when he was Broadway's age. I just don't like the suggestion that his velocity is "Maddux-like" because of its implications. His velocity is bad and his control is nowhere near Greg Maddux level. Greg Maddux on acid could throw more strikes than Broadway. Let's just compare Lance Broadway to Lance Broadway. Or someone more to the capabilities of Lance Broadway.

i don't think there are any implications whatsoever and his control was never mentioned. i think the just about everyone here realizes that if broadway manages to become even a marginal major-leaguer it would be a plus. not sure why you need to get so defensive when the great majority of people on this board know exactly what broadway is.

I'm not sure about the rotation for next year, but it seems clear he spent this year working on one or two new pitches, and improved in his second half. So at the least, I think he is close to ready. Ideally, he is in AAA for a second year (he pitched only one year there - not sure where people are saying he has already repeated), and puts up very good numbers. His numbers there should reflect being a complete and ready pitcher, not experimentation like they did this year. I still think Floyd, and even Gio, are more ready for the rotation at this point than Broadway is.

Assuming a rotation next year of something like Buehrle-Vaz-Contreras/Garland-Danks-Floyd, then the AAA rotation should be something like Broadway-Gonzalez-Egbert-Sisco-Haeger/???... that's a pretty damn good AAA rotation, and it bodes well for the future of the starting staff.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
I'd like to see him after a month of starting before I totally believe.

I think the Royals didn't have the book on him so, he surprised them.

Hey look... a reality check. A late September 6 inning start against a bunch of player in last place is not going to make me a believer. Yes, it's encouraging, but no, I don't think Lance is the second coming, and I fear his production over 32 starts would be in the "UH OH" territory.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 08:16 AM)
Hey look... a reality check. A late September 6 inning start against a bunch of player in last place is not going to make me a believer. Yes, it's encouraging, but no, I don't think Lance is the second coming, and I fear his production over 32 starts would be in the "UH OH" territory.

Well I didn't see the start but it sounds like people are more encouraged by the stuff that they saw compared to just the results. I don't think anyone is convinced of anything with Lance but he's another guy you can throw into the 5th starter hat for next season.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 08:18 AM)
Well I didn't see the start but it sounds like people are more encouraged by the stuff that they saw compared to just the results. I don't think anyone is convinced of anything with Lance but he's another guy you can throw into the 5th starter hat for next season.

I too was happy to see him pitch well... it was a nice, encouraging reason to turn on this game in glorious HD. However, Broadway won't strike that many batters normally, that much I can promise you. I did LOVE how AJ handled the youngster... he will definitely be good for a staff of mostly youth next year.

I can tell you one thing, I'd rather win 70 games next year with 4 youths in the rotation than win 81 with Garland and Contreras, neither gets you the playoffs, one develops the youngsters and gets you a high draft pick, the other leaves you in mediocrity Get a solid return for Garland, and get whatever chicken scraps you can for Contreras, and move on. If I have Buehrle, I'm happy.

Broadway looked really good. Yes the Royals sucked but as was pointed out earlier his ball moved all over the place.

Guillen pointed out his emotional outbursts at times as a positive.

The problem with all of this is that Floyd is out of options and if not traded will be the numebr 5 starter.

Trade Contreras this afternoon to make one start to get an NL team in the playoffs then help them for next year.....I know he couldn't pitch in the postseason. Livan is in AZ nad El Duque NY...........Get on the horn Kenny!!!!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 02:07 AM)
I was really surprised with Broadway's start last night. Pierzynski mentioned something interesting in the post game conference concerning him "inventing" a slider (more like a cutter) in the bullpen. It appeared, at the least, to keep Royals hitters very offbalanced and tentative to catch up with his fastball.

However, it's really difficult to guage this start because of several factors: one, we're talking about the Royals; and two, it's possible his changeup and cutter -- two pitches hardly thrown during his previous innings out of the bullpen -- didn't factor into preliminary scouting reports. I've seen Floyd enough to know how different he can look from start to start. Too bad there won't be another start from Broadway this season to find out.

Now, it's only my baseless opinion; but I don't believe Broadway will begin next season in the minors. He'll either be in the White Sox bullpen or rotation. How many years can they possibly let their first round pick repeat AAA? We're not talking about a starting pitcher with high potential here that needs to hone his craft. If Williams does trade Garland and Contreras (or even one), someone needs to be available to potentially eat innings. A long reliever now makes more sense than these last few years, when it was all but certain 4/5 of the rotation would pitch 6 innings on any given night.

he threw his change quite a bit out of the pen IIRC. He kept to his fastballs, curve and change out of the pen.