Torii Hunter

Allsox

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
Why? If people are willing to pay them that, that's the owners' fault. The MLB is absolutely loaded with cash too, BTW -- I thought I remember reading that the percentage of money that is paid to athletes in MLB is least when compared to the NFL and the NBA.

Actually, I'd suggest it isn't the fault of the owners or the players. Well, maybe the owners a little bit. You want to blame someone for high salaries? Most of that blame falls on... us. The fans. The money is there to spend because we spend it.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
Actually, I'd suggest it isn't the fault of the owners or the players. Well, maybe the owners a little bit. You want to blame someone for high salaries? Most of that blame falls on... us. The fans. The money is there to spend because we spend it.

Yup. That's right. Corporations can't do deals without the "sports and entertainment" schmoozing, hence the corporate suites. It's an absolutely disgusting industry. As much as we b**** about politics and money and people's struggles, it costs the common family tons of money to watch a GAME now. It's insane. How far does it go?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
Yup. That's right. Corporations can't do deals without the "sports and entertainment" schmoozing, hence the corporate suites. It's an absolutely disgusting industry. As much as we b**** about politics and money and people's struggles, it costs the common family tons of money to watch a GAME now. It's insane. How far does it go?

Baseball made over $6BILLION last year. As long as we keep paying, they'll keep raising the prices. And as long as we keep buying Budweiser and Gillette Foamy, they'll keep paying baseball to advertise at the park and on their telecasts, then continue to raise their prices to cover the increased ad costs. All baseball has to do is make sure they don't kill that golden egg laying goose.

Edited by YASNY

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuEz...o&type=lgns

Its encouraging when Hunter says "I have to go out there and see if the ball snakes.. Im a defensive scientist out there"

He loves the field at the Cell. Right now it looks like the Rangers, Dodgers and White Sox are the top 3 for Hunter.

If he wants a TON of money, he'll sign with Texas. From what i've heard about LA is that the field isn't that great, but Hunter loves Joe Torre. And with us, he'll get a more than respectable contract and he loves the field.

I think its 33.33% Dodgers, 33.33% White Sox and 33.33% Rangers. I really hope we get him.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
I still don't understand why everyone wants Hunter so bad still. Do you all want to be the Giants of the American League?

Take a look at the makeup of this team. What's one more old guy. At this point, you might as well just go balls deep.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
Take a look at the makeup of this team. What's one more old guy. At this point, you might as well just go balls deep.

when you put it that way...

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
when you put it that way...

Of course, if they have Richar, Owens and Fields...plus, Floyd and Danks...or Gio/Broadway/Masset, etc. It's a pretty good mix. Still a lot of oldies, but there's still some youth with potential.

I still don't understand why everyone wants Hunter so bad still. Do you all want to be the Giants of the American League?

It's a lesser of two evils IMO. I go back and forth with it all the time.

I wanted nothing more then a firesale. I thought it was the best approach for an aging team like ours in a division of young loaded teams. Since that is looking to be unlikely judging by the move today and the article released in the Sun Times saying Hunter is expected to sign here with the week...I don't see a firesale happening.

As far as Hunter goes though, it's either play a bum out there (since we won't deal for a young stud) or sign Hunter and try and get younger elsewhere...which I am out with if it works out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
With rumors floating around that Hunter is meeting with Texas brass tonight, this could very well be a story planted to make it look like we were going to get him if not for some ridiculous Texas offer.

you make a good point, but hopefully, Torri will see the Sox as a better opportunity to win and a more comfortbale atmosphere. But, lots of teams have used members of the media to drive up bidding prices, make their team look good when they don't sign players, like right here. Hopefully, the source was sincere in believing a deal could be reached this week.

you make a good point, but hopefully, Torri will see the Sox as a better opportunity to win and a more comfortbale atmosphere. But, lots of teams have used members of the media to drive up bidding prices, make their team look good when they don't sign players, like right here. Hopefully, the source was sincere in believing a deal could be reached this week.

You can quote me on this. The deal is done. Torii Hunter is a Chicago White Sox. It will be announced between now and next Monday. There is no doubt about it.

You can quote me on this. The deal is done. Torii Hunter is a Chicago White Sox. It will be announced between now and next Monday. There is no doubt about it.

Just curious, how did you go from "having a feeling" to knowing the deal is done? A simple phone call?

Sources: Hunter could be on Sox within a week

November 19, 2007

By Joe Cowley

Ken Williams has learned to accept fans and media often tossing him into what he refers to as “The Idiot of the Day Club.’’

But the trade of Jon Garland to the Angels on Monday afternoon for shortstop Orlando Cabrera was “Phase 2’’ of the offseason facelift only because the club is feeling all but certain that “Phase 1’’ was accomplished over the weekend.

» Click to enlarge image

Minnesota Twins' free-agent center fielder Torii Hunter may be on his way to the White Sox within a week. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green)

AP

RELATED STORIES

• Sox trade Garland for Gold Glove SS Cabrera

• Full Court Press: Your thoughts on trade, Hunter

• Orlando Cabrera's profile, stats from mlb.com

• What they're saying about the trade: L.A. Times

Sources both in the Sox organization and the camp of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter have told the Sun-Times that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.

In other words, while it appeared Williams was playing checkers in the Garland for Cabrera deal, he was actually playing chess, staying moves ahead of the game.

According to one source, Hunter had met with the Sox twice in the last two weeks, getting the financial details of what was being offered in that second meeting. While an agreement had not been reached as of Monday afternoon, the source said that “the climate’’ was there for a deal to be announced soon, unless another team comes in at the last second and blows Hunter away with an offer.

Enough so that Williams cleared the way for the Hunter acquisition by trading away Garland and his $12 million contract for the ’08 season.

With Cabrera at shortstop and Hunter in center field, not only would the Sox add two Gold Glovers to the mix, but now have the hole in the No. 2 spot of the lineup filled with Cabrera, while Hunter would offer protection for the “big three’’ of Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye in the batting order.

“The main focus of the organizational meetings was getting back to the formula in 2005 – pitching and defense,’’ the source said.

While losing Garland is a hit for the pitching part of the formula, privately some in the organization felt that Garland had reached his ceiling in 2005 and ’06, winning 18 games in both years, and with the right-hander hitting the free agent market after ’08, he would price himself out of what the Sox felt was a comfortable range.

Garland himself knew the writing was on the wall, telling the Sun-Times back in September, “If I had to guess right now, I would say that I’m more likely to get traded than to sign back, only because looking around this clubhouse and depending on which way they want to go with the team – whether Kenny wants to go young or build a winner here – at least on the starting staff, I bring the most attention.’’

That doesn’t mean that the starting rotation isn’t taking a hit, however.

After the proven arms of Mark Buehrle, Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras, the Sox will rely on John Danks to step up after an inconsistent rookie campaign, while the enigmatic Gavin Floyd will get the first shot to fill the vacancy left by Garland.

Pitching coach Don Cooper made it a point to say that he backed whatever moves Williams felt would make the team better, but also realized that the pressure now grows for all five starters – no matter who they are come April 1.

“With Buehrle, Contreras, and Vazquez, I mean we need 15 wins each from them and there is no room for error for them,’’ Cooper said. “John Danks, his grace period, learning curve, just got quicker. And then with Gavin, if it is Gavin, we need him to pick it up where he left off in September.

“Again, we know we have to do a better job with the bullpen and that will be addressed. My only concern is the players we have here. The job is to get into the playoffs and win a World Championship. Right now, we lose Jon garland, that means someone else is going to have to step up.’’

The next step for Williams if he does land Hunter this week, is adding a proven leadoff hitter/left fielder, which could be accomplished in shipping third baseman Joe Crede out in a trade. The bullpen will then be the focus for the remainder of the offseason.

“Kenny wants to get back into the playoffs and feels this trade will help,’’ Cooper added. “I back it. There’s a track record here. I mean he’s already orchestrated one championship team here.’’

Sources: Hunter could be on Sox within a week

November 19, 2007

By Joe Cowley

Ken Williams has learned to accept fans and media often tossing him into what he refers to as “The Idiot of the Day Club.’’

But the trade of Jon Garland to the Angels on Monday afternoon for shortstop Orlando Cabrera was “Phase 2’’ of the offseason facelift only because the club is feeling all but certain that “Phase 1’’ was accomplished over the weekend.

» Click to enlarge image

Minnesota Twins' free-agent center fielder Torii Hunter may be on his way to the White Sox within a week. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green)

AP

RELATED STORIES

• Sox trade Garland for Gold Glove SS Cabrera

• Full Court Press: Your thoughts on trade, Hunter

• Orlando Cabrera's profile, stats from mlb.com

• What they're saying about the trade: L.A. Times

Sources both in the Sox organization and the camp of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter have told the Sun-Times that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.

In other words, while it appeared Williams was playing checkers in the Garland for Cabrera deal, he was actually playing chess, staying moves ahead of the game.

According to one source, Hunter had met with the Sox twice in the last two weeks, getting the financial details of what was being offered in that second meeting. While an agreement had not been reached as of Monday afternoon, the source said that “the climate’’ was there for a deal to be announced soon, unless another team comes in at the last second and blows Hunter away with an offer.

Enough so that Williams cleared the way for the Hunter acquisition by trading away Garland and his $12 million contract for the ’08 season.

With Cabrera at shortstop and Hunter in center field, not only would the Sox add two Gold Glovers to the mix, but now have the hole in the No. 2 spot of the lineup filled with Cabrera, while Hunter would offer protection for the “big three’’ of Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye in the batting order.

“The main focus of the organizational meetings was getting back to the formula in 2005 – pitching and defense,’’ the source said.

While losing Garland is a hit for the pitching part of the formula, privately some in the organization felt that Garland had reached his ceiling in 2005 and ’06, winning 18 games in both years, and with the right-hander hitting the free agent market after ’08, he would price himself out of what the Sox felt was a comfortable range.

Garland himself knew the writing was on the wall, telling the Sun-Times back in September, “If I had to guess right now, I would say that I’m more likely to get traded than to sign back, only because looking around this clubhouse and depending on which way they want to go with the team – whether Kenny wants to go young or build a winner here – at least on the starting staff, I bring the most attention.’’

That doesn’t mean that the starting rotation isn’t taking a hit, however.

After the proven arms of Mark Buehrle, Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras, the Sox will rely on John Danks to step up after an inconsistent rookie campaign, while the enigmatic Gavin Floyd will get the first shot to fill the vacancy left by Garland.

Pitching coach Don Cooper made it a point to say that he backed whatever moves Williams felt would make the team better, but also realized that the pressure now grows for all five starters – no matter who they are come April 1.

“With Buehrle, Contreras, and Vazquez, I mean we need 15 wins each from them and there is no room for error for them,’’ Cooper said. “John Danks, his grace period, learning curve, just got quicker. And then with Gavin, if it is Gavin, we need him to pick it up where he left off in September.

“Again, we know we have to do a better job with the bullpen and that will be addressed. My only concern is the players we have here. The job is to get into the playoffs and win a World Championship. Right now, we lose Jon garland, that means someone else is going to have to step up.’’

The next step for Williams if he does land Hunter this week, is adding a proven leadoff hitter/left fielder, which could be accomplished in shipping third baseman Joe Crede out in a trade. The bullpen will then be the focus for the remainder of the offseason.

“Kenny wants to get back into the playoffs and feels this trade will help,’’ Cooper added. “I back it. There’s a track record here. I mean he’s already orchestrated one championship team here.’’