Could a team of you and your friends

Eh?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can a team of your friends score on an NBA team

• Yes
    • No

I could see a team get shut out. Every once in a while you read about a high school team getting shut out against another high school team so in theory it is possible, I just don't think it is probable.

But then again, if the pros understood their goal was to not allow a score, it would be more probable, with gimmicks like missing layups to maintain possession and run out the clock.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even score with just a ball, a hoop, and myself standing there, so I am pretty sure if you stuck anybody in front of me (especially a bunch of REAL tall guys) there is NO WAY I am scoring. Then add into it that most of my friends are just as skilled as I am at basketball, and I am still thinking of chanllenging them all to a game of tic-tac-toe.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
I can't even score with just a ball, a hoop, and myself standing there, so I am pretty sure if you stuck anybody in front of me (especially a bunch of REAL tall guys) there is NO WAY I am scoring. Then add into it that most of my friends are just as skilled as I am at basketball, and I am still thinking of chanllenging them all to a game of tic-tac-toe.

NICE!

I am SO challenging you to hoops next time we meet up!

:headbang :lol:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
NICE!

I am SO challenging you to hoops next time we meet up!

:headbang :lol:

My wife has a hoop at her parents house. She and her sisters always beat me in "Horse". I have no problems admitting it, as I hate basketball. But yeah, watching me try to score in that game is pretty funny.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
My wife has a hoop at her parents house. She and her sisters always beat me in "Horse". I have no problems admitting it, as I hate basketball. But yeah, watching me try to score in that game is pretty funny.

We'd probably play the longest game of "21" in the history of the world.

I'm really good at basketball, except for that part about throwing the ball through that metal ring on a pole.

:lol:

I play good D and am a real good passer, but my shot is for s***.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
You'd get smoked.

I agree. Diana Taurasi would school most guys who weren't really good basketball players. If you and your friends were really good HS players, you'd give them a game, but I seriously doubt you'd beat the WNBA champs.

As for scoring on an NBA team, it would be very hard. Foul shots would be your best bet, but without a seriously good ball handler, you wouldn't have much of a chance of scoring a basket if the game were refereed with the NBA allowed amount of contact. Consider that guys like Steve Nash are 6'3" but appear small next to NBA players. Watch how much he gets bumped when he's moving with the ball. He can control his dribble. That's what separates the HS point guard from the college from the NBA. I doubt you or your friends would withstand that.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
I agree. Diana Taurasi would school most guys who weren't really good basketball players. If you and your friends were really good HS players, you'd give them a game, but I seriously doubt you'd beat the WNBA champs.

Im not just some guy who is spouting off claims.. I have a legit 5, not just a group of my buddies I just wrangled up.. One of the guys is 6'7 and glancing over their roster they don't even have a player to stop him alone.. also considering one of the other guys was one of our better players on our high school team and has good size himself.. As for the other three, I never played basketball in high school because football was my love, but we aren't just five guys who think we can walk out onto a court and beat anyone..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:55 AM)
Im not just some guy who is spouting off claims.. I have a legit 5, not just a group of my buddies I just wrangled up.. One of the guys is 6'7 and glancing over their roster they don't even have a player to stop him alone.. also considering one of the other guys was one of our better players on our high school team and has good size himself.. As for the other three, I never played basketball in high school because football was my love, but we aren't just five guys who think we can walk out onto a court and beat anyone..

Cuz you're a cheaterrrrrrr :nono :nono :nono

Having some highschool basketball and some height is nothing compared to the talent that they have. I would say if you had a few collegiate players you may be able to play them tough, but they have some skilled bigs, some ridiculous guards, and women can shoot the lights out behind the arc.

I love it when some guys, who are mediocore at best, think they could beat a team of professionals just because said professionals are (obviously inferior) women. You have one guy who is tall...great. Is he good at basketball? Can he handle the ball? Play great defense? Being "one of the better players" on a HS team isn't saying too much, either. Did he play in college? Get recruited at all? If not, he's not that great. It'd be a rout.

As for the poll, I voted "no" because my friends and I all suck at basketball.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
I love it when some guys, who are mediocore at best, think they could beat a team of professionals just because said professionals are (obviously inferior) women. You have one guy who is tall...great. Is he good at basketball? Can he handle the ball? Play great defense? Being "one of the better players" on a HS team isn't saying too much, either. Did he play in college? Get recruited at all? If not, he's not that great. It'd be a rout.

As for the poll, I voted "no" because my friends and I all suck at basketball.

Yes, I don't know how many times I have to say this.. we can play basketball

And yes, they are inferior because they are women.. hence why I KNOW that we could beat them

Ive seen Tamika Catchings play in person (she lived across the street), she used to own every guy at High School.

Now I guess its possible that all of your friends were capable of walking on at D-1 programs, but the question is:

Why didnt you?

Because Id say with absolute certainty that Tamika could have played for plenty of mens D-1 schools, and probably even got a schollie from some of them.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)

And yes, they are inferior because they are women.. hence why I KNOW that we could beat them

Some of the college teams practice against guys who played high school ball...

Special ed kids can play basketball too... doesn't mean they are any good though does it? Your skill level is very, very likely not close to anyone on wnba championship team. Any random five guys that think they could beat some of the best women in the world are delirious. They are too disciplined first off. You would not be able to get into their heads... as they would think of your challenge as a joke in the first place. So throw that out the window. Height/strength? Not a big problem as their is always a way to contain someone... as you see i did not say stop someone. Speed/quickness? Them. Shot making? Them. Passing? Them? IQ and playing the game for at least the last 8-10 years of their lives every day? Them... and that is what i call experience. Experience is invaluable. Remember that you will not just be able to throw them around like rag dolls and do what you wish with them. You and your team would send them to the line countless times... just a given. All of your shots would be contested and your passes even more so. Hell i doubt you guys get the ball up court half the time with a full court press on. Just not that simple

You would have more turnovers and missed shots than they would have points probally... so you have something going anyway.

No cracks at you intended... just a highly improbable outcome you suggested.

Edited by qwerty

You honestly think you and four of your buddies are more talented than professional basketball players? How many of you even sniffed a scholarship offer?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
You honestly think you and four of your buddies are more talented than professional basketball players? How many of you even sniffed a scholarship offer?

Jesus, can we stop using "professional basketball players" when talking about the WNBA.. Have you even watched it? They are terrible.

I guess you guys seem to think its me and four other of my friends who are just trying to talk s*** about this or whatever. Thats not the case, but this is a scenario that is never going to happen. So its pointless arguing about it. I just know that we could beat them, nothing will change my mind about that.

Only one of us played for our high school, and I do believe he had some interest from smaller schools.. The rest of us were playing other sports. You don't have a damn clue about how talented or athletic I am, or my friends. So please don't try and talk down on me here by assuming I am just talking s***.

Anyways, like I said.. its never gonna happen so why even continue this argument? Were just gonna go back and forth talking about a game that will never be played..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:05 PM)
Jesus, can we stop using "professional basketball players" when talking about the WNBA.. Have you even watched it? They are terrible.

I guess you guys seem to think its me and four other of my friends who are just trying to talk s*** about this or whatever. Thats not the case, but this is a scenario that is never going to happen. So its pointless arguing about it. I just know that we could beat them, nothing will change my mind about that.

Only one of us played for our high school, and I do believe he had some interest from smaller schools.. The rest of us were playing other sports. You don't have a damn clue about how talented or athletic I am, or my friends. So please don't try and talk down on me here by assuming I am just talking s***.

Anyways, like I said.. its never gonna happen so why even continue this argument? Were just gonna go back and forth talking about a game that will never be played..

That's fine... but i am just curious.

How many shots do you take a day? How many regulation games per week?

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
That's fine... but i am just curious.

How many shots do you take a day? How many regulation games per week?

Hmm, if I had to make a guess I would say I take about 150-200 shots a day and I don't play any regulation games but we play quite a bit of pick up games after we shoot around..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
Hmm, if I had to make a guess I would say I take about 150-200 shots a day and I don't play any regulation games but we play quite a bit of pick up games after we shoot around..

One of you played HS ball. Nobody played even a bit of college ball. Regardless of if you had other sports to play, if you were that good at bball, in THAT season, thats the sport you would have played. There is basically no sport competing with bball that would or should compete for any of your talents. In fact, im pretty sure a college team like UCONN or TENN would beat you as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
One of you played HS ball. Nobody played even a bit of college ball. Regardless of if you had other sports to play, if you were that good at bball, in THAT season, thats the sport you would have played. There is basically no sport competing with bball that would or should compete for any of your talents. In fact, im pretty sure a college team like UCONN or TENN would beat you as well.

Yeah, but one guy is 6'7" and might have drawn some interest from Daley College, and the other four are great, great athletes. Of course they'd beat a bunch of girls who play professionally at the highest level.