OFFICIAL: Sox Sign Linebrink - 4 yrs, 19 mil

soxbearsbulls

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
If only we did the right thing and went into rebuilding mode. Someone made a good point in another thread, but it's crazy to think we traded Garland for a major league player that is not a leadoff hitter.

Kenny will never allow rebuilding mode, which is why unless he gets lucky again ala 2005, and lightning doesn't strike twice, we're in trouble on the field until he's fired. Sad but true.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 06:31 AM)
Kenny will never allow rebuilding mode, which is why unless he gets lucky again ala 2005, and lightning doesn't strike twice, we're in trouble on the field until he's fired. Sad but true.

I understand, with the knowledge that KW is too stubborn to ever rebuild, I have to convince myself that spending 19 million on a former Padres reliever is actually a good move.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)

Wow. I posted something like that after the Garland trade & got ripped by a mod for being too negative. Anyway, I promised no more negative posts here, but I'm struggling to find something good in this signing. Linebrink's numbers have been trending down for 2 years. And he's not in the NL and PetCo anymore.

OK, here's the positive thing -- I think middle relief is actual undervalued -- the middle relievers often pitch very high leverage innings. They come in when a starter has been pulled, which usually means men on-base. That's why DET pitching Zumaya as a middle reliever and Jones to close actually isn't a bad idea. So, I don't mind trying to secure a lock-down middle reliever. Whether or not Linebrink is that guy is another question...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 01:33 AM)
We still Need I think Hunter and a legit leadoff man if we are really going to contend. That and hope our starting rotation turns itself around.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here...but if Kenny deems Richar the opening day 2nd baseman...I honestly think he'd be a pretty decent leadoff guy.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
We still Need I think Hunter and a legit leadoff man if we are really going to contend. That and hope our starting rotation turns itself around.

Even then, I don't think we have a chance at competing with Detroit or Cleveland. In fact, I view Hunter as a regression for the time when we are able to compete. I think competing in the next 2 seasons is blind optimism at it's finest, and then in 3 yrs a hobbling Hunter with an enormous contract will only keep us longer from competing.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 03:30 AM)
Since when do the sox overPAY this type of money to get someone, period. I know we have seen some bloated relievers contracts like Baez, Walker, Spier, etc....but wtf are we giving this guy anything over 2 years 5 MIL for????b

You DO remember the Masset/Aardsma/Sisco/MacDougal bullpen experiment of 2007 right? That 'pen that couldn't do anything right.....KW is as irritated with that failure as any of us are, except that he has the ability to try and fix it. Linebrink has been one of those guys he has salivated over, and yeah we probably overpaid a bit to get him, but alas, we have no proper in house solutions for '08.

Well I'm glad KW is trying to fix the pen. But maybe that's the only positive I'll say here.

I don't like this signing. And it's for these reasons.

1 - He hasn't been good away from PETCO. In 2006 he had a 3.92 ERA in away games, in 2007, that number rose to 4.64.

2 - He'll give up too many home runs. Gave up 12 last season. That number could rise to say 15 pitching half his game at the Cell. For comparisons sake, MacDougal gave up 3 in 07, Thornton 4. So he's not a guy I really would like to bring on with runners in scoring position in an important situation, if you get my sort of thinking.

3 - Post ASB in 2007, he had a 5.23 ERA. Now maybe that was because of the new surroundings etc. But since 2004, he has thrown 84IP, 73.2IP, 75.2IP and 70.1IP. Is he suffering from the Scott Shields syndrome of having thrown too many innings in the past few years? At least he's durable I guess.

4 - We give up another draft pick. Rebuilding the system should be at a premium right now. And yes, I know a few people such as Jason have said, well the Sox could draft someone later on and offer them 2nd round money. But how often do they do that?

5 - We overpaid. No if's or buts. The Indians just signed Masahide Kobayashi to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd for 9.5M. So that's about 3.25M a season. We're paying Linebrink about 4.75M a season. Kobayashi could have the better numbers, and Cleveland don't give up a draft pick. So I just think signing a guy from Japan would have made more sense.

This site is hilarious. The majority of the posts are people b****ing when other teams sign people at prices and years we don't want, and then more b****ing when we sign the #1 free agent reliever that isn't a closer. Its impossible to make a realistic move that will be seen as a good one. Everyone lives in fantasy land.

Edited by max power

I like the deal. The sox get a reliable bullpen arm [as reliable as bullpen arms come]. The sox couldn't count on having a young arm step up and get outs [Massett, Broadway, Russell, etc], though I'd expect some one from within the org. to be able to get outs in 2008. With Linebrink, he only costs money. The sox still have trade pieces they can use to further upgrade the pen/ lineup if needed. A team may want to take a flyer on MacDougal. I'm not sure if the sox want to baby Mac seeing as they can't count on him, ala the Podsednik of the bullpen [great when healthy, but nearly certain to spend time on the DL]. With Linebrink, they not have to.

There is no doubt that the sox overpaid to get Linebrink. Yet with all teams looking to add to their bullpens, the sox got arguably the best arm out there. That may not say much for the talent that's out there. But it allows someone with experience to get outs in the 7th and 8th innings. I fully expect a young arm or two to step up and be a solid bullpen arm for the sox in 2008. Yet while it may take time to see who that arm is [a foresee frequent flier miles between Charlotte and Chi, as guys are tried out in the bigs and see who sticks], Lkinebrink will be in the pen.

What this also signals is the trade of guys like Aardsma and Sisco. Though they may be kept for Spring and then dealt as they try and up their very low trade values with a decent showing.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Do you expect Ozzie will?

I actually think he does do this very well if guys are doing their job.

I echo the sentiment of the poster that said that this board b****es either.

They may have a trade for a McDougal or Aardesma. Teams will take chances on these type of guys. Package one of them with Uribe and you may get something, not much, but something.

Bullpens are a complete crapshot for just about every team. Throw 15 guys out there and try and get 7 to be decent.

This is a nice move, nothing great but nice. Not sure why they didn't wait and see if the Brewers were even going to offer arbitration.

Guys, we needed bullpen help and we got the best set-up man available. Its less than $5 million per season, so its not like it takes a huge hit to our payroll. Everyone here wanted KW to fix the pen and he is doing that. If anyone here is pissed at this signing, then you guys really want to see another disaster in the pen like last year. The price for everything is going up in baseball, this deal is very reasonable for getting a proven set-up guy. There are not many proven relievers out there that put up solid numbers every year, but Linebrink is that guy. Be happy KW saw the problem and tried to fix it. We are, and every other major league team, are going to have to overpay to get players, so why not? It will not take a toll on our future that much and some of our younger guys can only benefit from being a teammate of one of baseball's best relievers.

Is this signing really legit? There's still nothing about it in the Times, Trib, Sox websight, or hasn't been mentioned on Comcasts "Sportsnite" or "Sportsrise".

You'd think that when that kind of money is supposedly spent on a reliever that "SOMEBODY" would have some news on it. But so far I haven't seen "DINK" anywhere on any of it. So far, the only place I found it mentioned was on this thread.

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
Is this signing really legit? There's still nothing about it in the Times, Trib, Sox websight, or hasn't been mentioned on Comcasts "Sportsnite" or "Sportsrise".

You'd think that when that kind of money is supposedly spent on a reliever that "SOMEBODY" would have some news on it. But so far I haven't seen "DINK" anywhere on any of it. So far, the only place I found it mentioned was on this thread.

Its on whitesox.com.